HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 5

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #46

To add on to the SLS / sulfates in shampoo debate, would just like to highlight one thing: At the end of the day, the condition of your hair after usage is the best answer to whether a shampoo is right for u. Mr pomp's peppermint shampoo contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) but I find it to be just nice in terms of cleaning without stripping away too much. Whereas we have HDF natural shampoo which does not contain SLS / SLES BUT I feel dries my hair out too much. So it really is trial and error to see which works for you.

@leejhong bro, Note taken on the tai green tea shampoo! Might look into that after finishing up my label m purifying.

Nice to see the thread with abit of life again haha. Seems like the hair product / grooming trend is slowing down quite abit.
nichsong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #47

I've been using this brand called Moist Diane, their Botanical series. I think it uses mostly plant based ingredients and I find it really easy to wash off the styling products. I'm using Gatsby Moving Rubber.
thehonestexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #48

any good shampoo to recommend? hopefully one that can improve my frizzy hair. I already have a deep cleanse shampoo that I use 1/2 times a week.
DamienK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #49
Great Supremacy Member

ref323 + MM
My hair are so lightweight, if I jump, I need to restyle
jump? lol what u do sia

GX spent a considerable amount of time and effort to help me get a watch I ultimately wasn't able to because I was too slow. He did me a solid when he didn't have to, and I've never even met the guy.
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #50
Master Member

To add on to the SLS / sulfates in shampoo debate, would just like to highlight one thing: At the end of the day, the condition of your hair after usage is the best answer to whether a shampoo is right for u. Mr pomp's peppermint shampoo contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) but I find it to be just nice in terms of cleaning without stripping away too much. Whereas we have HDF natural shampoo which does not contain SLS / SLES BUT I feel dries my hair out too much. So it really is trial and error to see which works for you.

@leejhong bro, Note taken on the tai green tea shampoo! Might look into that after finishing up my label m purifying.

Nice to see the thread with abit of life again haha. Seems like the hair product / grooming trend is slowing down quite abit.
No problem!

You've mentioned the point on the dryness of the hair after shampoo-ing.

There was this hairstylist of mine that asks me not to use moisturizing shampoo but one that can really makes my hair dry. His rationale was to make my hair as dry as possible, so that I could style easily. Back then, I did not agree with him. Even till today, I do not. Ultimately, I do not think the dryness will cause any big problems here, so to me it's like a personal preference. I always believed in striking a balance for the aspect of hydration/dryness.

- If the shampoo dries my hair too much (but it's a deep cleanser), I am fine with using it couple of times per week. I will then either complement it with a conditioner or vitamin booster to hydrate it further. Or a hair mousse the next day to nourish it a little (gives shine to the hair).

- If the shampoo hydrates my hair too much (moisturizing shampoo), I have more problems with it because it weighs my hair down too much (big problem next day). To overcome, I will use a little more seasalt spray to provide hold the next day (which may inevitably backfire if used too much too).
Old 20-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #51
Master Member

I've been using this brand called Moist Diane, their Botanical series. I think it uses mostly plant based ingredients and I find it really easy to wash off the styling products. I'm using Gatsby Moving Rubber.
My wife once tried out the conditioner, and it sucks big time. Instead of nourishing the hair, it caused her hair to be tangled badly. Ever since, I avoided that brand like a plague.

If you ever have the chance, do give the other products on the market a chance to serve your hair better. If you think Gatsby is good, there are better products within the same price range too.

FYI - Diane is also under the parent brand - Mandom. Same as Gatsby.
Old 20-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #52
Master Member

any good shampoo to recommend? hopefully one that can improve my frizzy hair. I already have a deep cleanse shampoo that I use 1/2 times a week.
Usually, you will tend to have a few requirements when looking out for a product. Same applies for shampoo too. So, there are more questions to ask but since this is a platform for us to share insights/opinions about hair grooming products, I shall refrain from asking more.

As you already have a deep cleanser, I shall recommend you some moisturizing shampoos then.

1. Scalp-related needs: If you ever thought of improving your scalp or overcoming any existing scalp-related problems (e.g. redness/dryness, itchiness or even dermatitis), you can consider trying out Zahara Nourishing Shampoo.

2. Organic: If you are one who are conscious on a product's organicity, then you can consider Care For My Cut Daily Shampoo. This is a sulphate-free shampoo. However, do take note that this does not mean that it is 100% organic. In fact, there are only a handful of products that are 100% organic (this doesnt mean that 100% organic shampoo is more superior btw).
Old 20-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #53
Master Member

ref323 + MM
My hair are so lightweight, if I jump, I need to restyle
You actually already have the answer. Fixation.
Your hair lacks the fixation to last through the day and try to complement it with a finishing hairspray, on top of the SSS and main styling product.

Be it a little, I am pretty sure it will help you to improve the situation.
Old 20-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #54

Some hairstyle ideas from the celebs like rebecca Lim

Some inspo for a dark rainy day when our hair will go limp and awry ... Ha no lah, just see what our local Ah Jies do to their own hair:
Is your hairstyle aging you? Take a cue from stars like Rebecca Lim and Rainie Yang with these 9 youthful styles
hsiaowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #55

Thanks you for your answer. Another question, if I used MM as pre and post styler, should I use same quantity pre and post ? or more at post style ?
foushi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #56
Master Member

Thanks you for your answer. Another question, if I used MM as pre and post styler, should I use same quantity pre and post ? or more at post style ?
Unfortunately, I have not used MM before so couldn't be able to comment too much on that.
However, here's my thoughts:

1. By pre-styler, you're referring to using MM onto damp hair then blow dry the hair.
2. By post-styler, you're referring to using MM onto dry hair (with MM in it already) then continue styling.

Logically speaking, it will be heavy (no matter how lightweight the product may claim to be) and even if it's matte by nature, the amount that is used may cause it to "shine" excessively too. Hence, I don't think it will benefit much in doing so, and wouldn't recommend doing this either.

Unless the "post-styler" that you're referring to is to top up a little (depending on the situation), then you should apply relatively more as pre-styler. Do note that application of the styling product onto damp hair is likely to create a slight sheen on the hair.
gascon7 likes this.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #57

My wife once tried out the conditioner, and it sucks big time. Instead of nourishing the hair, it caused her hair to be tangled badly. Ever since, I avoided that brand like a plague.

If you ever have the chance, do give the other products on the market a chance to serve your hair better. If you think Gatsby is good, there are better products within the same price range too.

FYI - Diane is also under the parent brand - Mandom. Same as Gatsby.
Thank you! Would you recommend any good products that are within the price range of Gatsby?

I think each brand benefits everyone is different ways la...doesn't mean it works for one person means it will for others (:

I did a google search and I think Diane is under this company called Naturelab? Don't think they are made by the Gatsby company.
thehonestexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #58
Master Member

Thank you! Would you recommend any good products that are within the price range of Gatsby?

I think each brand benefits everyone is different ways la...doesn't mean it works for one person means it will for others (:

I did a google search and I think Diane is under this company called Naturelab? Don't think they are made by the Gatsby company.
To recommend, it really depends largely on your requirements such as matte/slight shine, strong/medium hold, washability.

Actually, it's written on the back of the product. Bifesta, Moist Diane and Gatsby are all under the parent company - Mandom Corp. Meanwhile, just last month they have a sale going on.

Old 22-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #59

Definitely disagree with the hairstylist in question regarding "the drier the better". While drier hair is much easier to style because less moisture / oil = less weight, there is a sacrifice to the overall health of your hair and scalp. If your hair is always dry it means there is a lack of moisture - which is essential for hair growth and overall scalp health.

That's why its best to maintain a balance. Not too dry, yet not too moisturised that your hair can't take the weight of your hairstyling products. Mr Pomp shampoo is the best I've tried so far in terms of providing this balance. But if only they had it in a larger bottle. Label M purifying shampoo is pretty good too, just got to be careful not to use too much

No problem!

You've mentioned the point on the dryness of the hair after shampoo-ing.

There was this hairstylist of mine that asks me not to use moisturizing shampoo but one that can really makes my hair dry. His rationale was to make my hair as dry as possible, so that I could style easily. Back then, I did not agree with him. Even till today, I do not. Ultimately, I do not think the dryness will cause any big problems here, so to me it's like a personal preference. I always believed in striking a balance for the aspect of hydration/dryness.

- If the shampoo dries my hair too much (but it's a deep cleanser), I am fine with using it couple of times per week. I will then either complement it with a conditioner or vitamin booster to hydrate it further. Or a hair mousse the next day to nourish it a little (gives shine to the hair).

- If the shampoo hydrates my hair too much (moisturizing shampoo), I have more problems with it because it weighs my hair down too much (big problem next day). To overcome, I will use a little more seasalt spray to provide hold the next day (which may inevitably backfire if used too much too).
nichsong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #60

Have you ever perfumed your hair?

Came across this...
Why you should never spray perfume on your hair no matter how bad it smells
Do people really do that?
hsiaowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.