HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 5

Like Tree148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1231

Hi sansan! Welcome back to HWZ! You remind me of colleagues who did not read their email properly. Hahahaha fail.

You were better earlier, try harder. Wanna work together and rule the world?
A++ acting skills from these 'modern gentlemen'. So nice of you to share a 70% off coupon with us. Trying to clear off all stock now and recoup losses after realizing the brand value is now in deep sh1t?

Boi... Please don't associate me with this noob.
Sorry but I don't think it works for others because the 70% off is tagged to my account only.

If you are trying to mess with other brands. I think crety and you have achieved your objective already.
Cretycret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #1232
Supremacy Member

That is some great review! This is the type of reviews I'm looking for. Not some toxic users promoting their own brand. Greatest respect for those who tried actual products and give legit reviews! Kudos! 😘

No respect for those who don't try or purposely give fake reviews.
Thanks for the kind words.

However, I would like to clarify that I myself am a seller (ThePrettyJerk aka TPJ) too. Wouldn't want to give the impression that I am not affiliated to any brands out there. But I understand the fact that this is a forum and (to my very best), it is for sharing with the community and not promoting one's brands excessively.
Old 13-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #1233
Supremacy Member

Ya da ya da ya da~~~ I don't understand why are you so obsessed with this brand?

So much theory that I smell something. My crety nose is tingling! Hahaha!

On a serious note. You have not tried the pomade yet so much nonsense. Soooo much research yet no trying on actual product, is a useless review.

Everyone here know I love to dig truth. When burgerboi asked you which white label does it smell like, you did not answer that. I wonder your speculation are legitimate or not.

And are you for real? Just Google water based pomade, uppercut comes out. And since you compared uppercut with Gerson ingredients then why did you say gel pomade?

I'm smelling a slight hint of elmartin and sansanjikikut in you. Merry Christmas.

Do a real review by trying and take a photo like leejhong or burgerboi.
Honestly, I have to speak up for Nicholas. He is a customer of mine, and likewise a customer for other sellers too. And I sincerely believe that he might perhaps be the only one whom have tried the most products out there.

So probably, let's try and give each other the benefit of the doubt and encourage sharing of information here. I believe with such info sharing, this platform can be an invaluable platform for people to benefit from.
Old 13-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #1234
Supremacy Member

Any recommendations for a high hold matte finish product? I have rather coarse and straight hair. Currently sporting an undercut pompadour-ish hair. I have used HDF claymation and Gold diggger in the past, looking for alternatives to them. Thanks in advance!

Edit: ohya forget to mention that I'm using Kevin murphy rough rider at the moment. I find it too pricey and kinda mehh
First, you have to understand that you have many options out there, including Gatsby. But for the benefit of discussion here, I will not recommend Gatsby. My post is to help to provide you with another option, for your consideration.

1. I have not used HDF claymation before, but HDF is known for being organic. Being organic got its pros and cons, and one of the most distinct disadvantages is the lack of hold. It is also not formulated for asians hence I have trouble trusting that this will work, given that my hair is long and heavy (just like most asians).

2. GD is good; comes with very good hold. However, it may be heavy on the hair. Hence, without the use of hairspray, you may find yourself using GD but hair falling flat shortly after.

3. My recommendation: You may consider trying out Indians clay. It's a form of dry textured clay and comes with strong hold. It can hold straight hair without problem, but it will definitely be easier if you complement it with a pre-styler (for e.g. seasalt spray). Suitable for coarse hair type too (in fact, coarse hair type is compatible w most products, as compared to fine hair). However, downside is that since its a dry clay, it requires rubbing prior to application and application is definitely not the easiest too.
Old 13-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #1235
Supremacy Member

Is it necessary to use conditioner with normal singapore male length hair? Went to cheap barber and auntie say use conditioner healthier for hair, tried it but it flattens my hair too much.. my head profile become square already. Also like very heavy, feels like I'm losing more hair lately. Shet.
1. What the auntie said is not right. Hair conditioner helps to replenish the lost proteins in the hair, particularly in the hair cortex layer (i.e. main layer). Hair shampoo can only reach the cuticle layer (i.e. outermost layer). Hence, with hair conditioner, it can help to allow the hair become healthier (i.e. stronger too) and shinier.

2. However, everything comes with tradeoff. The tradeoff for using hair conditioner is that since it contains oil contents (be it natural or not), it will definitely add weight to the hair. Hence, for people who style their hair daily, it will be a problem.

3. Do not apply hair conditioner on the scalp. Hair is not the scalp. Many people thought that washing hair with a shampoo would equate to washing the scalp. But these are different. Likewise, it applies to hair conditioner. Use hair conditioner on the mid to hair ends and avoid the scalp. The oil contents will clog the hair pores and cause hair fall and eventually hair loss.

My 2 cents: If you are a guy who styles the hair regularly and keep reasonable hair length, you may safely skip the usage of hair conditioner. The benefits are not visible for you, simply because you may already snip off the hair before you can see the benefits derived.
Old 13-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #1236
Supremacy Member

To clear the hair. No thanks to crety. I have emailed Gerson & Co to address what's happening here.

I doubt crety has any brands. He is trying to mess with new and current businesses.

And OMG I'm sold man! They give me special promo code! 🤣

A++ acting skills from these 'modern gentlemen'. So nice of you to share a 70% off coupon with us. Trying to clear off all stock now and recoup losses after realizing the brand value is now in deep sh1t?
I am glad that you managed to get 70% off. It's a good deal.

But pardon me for saying, as my first thought is that if a business can give you 70% off just like that (this is not done for service recovery too), I can't imagine their profit margins. I can't help but to feel dubious about it. Not out to put a brand down, but my honest thoughts about it.

In any case, to each his own. Too many brands out there for us to try, and since you have this 70% off (tagged to your account), then it's a no-brainer for you to go ahead and try it out.
Old 13-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #1237
Supremacy Member

I actually think the same way. Using pomades so far made me realised that i need another look which is less formal.

Can anyone advise on the differences between waxes and clay? I need something which which has a stronger hold. Washability wise, i think both should be better than the oil based pomade im currently using now.

I have straight, not so thick hair.
Clay usually comes in dry solid form, with strong hold (typically harder to apply).
Wax usually comes in softer/creamier form. Generally, the hold is varying from average to strong (typically weaker than clay).

And yes, you're right. Pomade will be the harshest on the hair and hardest to cleanse off (as compared to clay and wax). If you favour the sleek look (honestly i doubt many asians can pull that look off), then pomade is the one to go for because wax or clay is unlikely to achieve that look.

But if you are looking for a more natural finish, I honestly feel that you can try out clay or wax. Which to try out first in particular, I would say it's indifferent because nowadays these terms are loosely used and can be interchangeable. Perhaps a better way is to ask the seller the right questions or better still, see it for yourself.
Old 13-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #1238

1. What the auntie said is not right. Hair conditioner helps to replenish the lost proteins in the hair, particularly in the hair cortex layer (i.e. main layer). Hair shampoo can only reach the cuticle layer (i.e. outermost layer). Hence, with hair conditioner, it can help to allow the hair become healthier (i.e. stronger too) and shinier.

2. However, everything comes with tradeoff. The tradeoff for using hair conditioner is that since it contains oil contents (be it natural or not), it will definitely add weight to the hair. Hence, for people who style their hair daily, it will be a problem.

3. Do not apply hair conditioner on the scalp. Hair is not the scalp. Many people thought that washing hair with a shampoo would equate to washing the scalp. But these are different. Likewise, it applies to hair conditioner. Use hair conditioner on the mid to hair ends and avoid the scalp. The oil contents will clog the hair pores and cause hair fall and eventually hair loss.

My 2 cents: If you are a guy who styles the hair regularly and keep reasonable hair length, you may safely skip the usage of hair conditioner. The benefits are not visible for you, simply because you may already snip off the hair before you can see the benefits derived.
Damn.. didnt really pay attention to my hair till recently haha very informative thanks!
darkeyecircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #1239

Clay usually comes in dry solid form, with strong hold (typically harder to apply).
Wax usually comes in softer/creamier form. Generally, the hold is varying from average to strong (typically weaker than clay).

And yes, you're right. Pomade will be the harshest on the hair and hardest to cleanse off (as compared to clay and wax). If you favour the sleek look (honestly i doubt many asians can pull that look off), then pomade is the one to go for because wax or clay is unlikely to achieve that look.

But if you are looking for a more natural finish, I honestly feel that you can try out clay or wax. Which to try out first in particular, I would say it's indifferent because nowadays these terms are loosely used and can be interchangeable. Perhaps a better way is to ask the seller the right questions or better still, see it for yourself.
Yeah i definitely need a more natural finish for everyday purposes.

nowadays im also seeing alot of hybrid stuff, there's kaolin in waxes and beeswax in clays hahah
darkeyecircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #1240

So just tried out Stickmore Clay Fiber for the first time this morning. Solid. Great lightweight yet firm hold that gives you plenty of volume. Stronger hold and provides more structure than Morris TSB, which also gives a firm hold, albeit a more natural, free-flowing one. The main differences are in texture - Stickmore is waxy -tackier and firmer to the touch, while Morris has a more distinct, clay like dry grip.

Can also tell based on my experience that Stickmore is gonna endure for the whole 8-10 hour day. Washout from hands was an absolute breeze with just a bit of hands oap.

Does it completely replace Morris tho? Nope. Both are just as good as imo, but with different properties. Use this on days you want a more structured hold, and Morris on days you want a more understated look.
nichsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #1241

Hahaha typical sgrean mindset. Give little discount means stingy. Give more then question the company. Very hard to please sgrean.

I am glad that you managed to get 70% off. It's a good deal.

But pardon me for saying, as my first thought is that if a business can give you 70% off just like that (this is not done for service recovery too), I can't imagine their profit margins. I can't help but to feel dubious about it. Not out to put a brand down, but my honest thoughts about it.

In any case, to each his own. Too many brands out there for us to try, and since you have this 70% off (tagged to your account), then it's a no-brainer for you to go ahead and try it out.
Darkcresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #1242

Hmm 70% discount isn't that small of a discount though

Hahaha typical sgrean mindset. Give little discount means stingy. Give more then question the company. Very hard to please sgrean.
Old 13-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #1243

Thanks bro! Had a great experience being your customer over the years - ever accommodating towards my queries and always giving me recommendations. Top guy.

Honestly, I have to speak up for Nicholas. He is a customer of mine, and likewise a customer for other sellers too. And I sincerely believe that he might perhaps be the only one whom have tried the most products out there.

So probably, let's try and give each other the benefit of the doubt and encourage sharing of information here. I believe with such info sharing, this platform can be an invaluable platform for people to benefit from.

Last edited by nichsong; 13-12-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Old 13-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #1244

I'll personally vouch for Indians clay like I have done before. It's one of my holy grail products, and I know I can rely on it to tide me through a long day. In fact, it has the highest strength to weight ratio out of all the products I've tried thus far. Incredibly waxy stuff. The main tradeoff is its application, tugs quite a bit - but that is what gives it that immense hold. Also, I've never been able to get a look at the full ingredients list. Definitely not an organic product - but I've personally never had issues with it drying or damaging my hair in any way.

First, you have to understand that you have many options out there, including Gatsby. But for the benefit of discussion here, I will not recommend Gatsby. My post is to help to provide you with another option, for your consideration.

1. I have not used HDF claymation before, but HDF is known for being organic. Being organic got its pros and cons, and one of the most distinct disadvantages is the lack of hold. It is also not formulated for asians hence I have trouble trusting that this will work, given that my hair is long and heavy (just like most asians).

2. GD is good; comes with very good hold. However, it may be heavy on the hair. Hence, without the use of hairspray, you may find yourself using GD but hair falling flat shortly after.

3. My recommendation: You may consider trying out Indians clay. It's a form of dry textured clay and comes with strong hold. It can hold straight hair without problem, but it will definitely be easier if you complement it with a pre-styler (for e.g. seasalt spray). Suitable for coarse hair type too (in fact, coarse hair type is compatible w most products, as compared to fine hair). However, downside is that since its a dry clay, it requires rubbing prior to application and application is definitely not the easiest too.
Old 13-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #1245
Great Supremacy Member

jin bad sia. but 70%

might as well give free? isn't that better ?
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.