HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Noob question on buying first luxury watch

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Noob question on buying first luxury watch

Hey guys, I have been interested in watches for awhile now but so far have never bought any luxury watch.

Eyeing either the tudor black bay 58 or the submariner. I have a few questions on the purchase process:

1. When buying new from the hour glass or kee hing hung etc, is is alright to bargain?
2. Are prices the same regardless where you buy from (controlled)?
3. If I put my name on a waiting list for a particular model, say a submariner, must I pay a deposit and will the deposit be forfeited if I decide not to go ahead?
4. Any other things to take note?

Thank you all for helping a noob out!
nudgedoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #2

Hey guys, I have been interested in watches for awhile now but so far have never bought any luxury watch.

Eyeing either the tudor black bay 58 or the submariner. I have a few questions on the purchase process:

1. When buying new from the hour glass or kee hing hung etc, is is alright to bargain?
- If you're looking to get a popular model, there's almost no way you're going to get a discount.
- Prices are set by Rolex, followed by AD. The only thing that may vary is the discount offered, usually only on non-sports models.
3. If I put my name on a waiting list for a particular model, say a submariner, must I pay a deposit and will the deposit be forfeited if I decide not to go ahead?
- No you don't need to pay a deposit, but you probably aren't ever going to see your turn come either.

Answers in bold
paul02 likes this.
Celibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Yes, no harm asking for a discount.

Yes, but discount varies.

You should not pay any deposit just to be no said waitlist. Just for sharing, sometimes when ADs pass you a piece of paper to put as waitlist, do not be surprised if they throw the slip of paper away once you leave, they will always give priority to more high value customers (hey, thats life lol).

Not sure about KKH, but for THG at least, you can verify that your name is there by going to another THG store and asking them to verify if your name is in their system (do it tactfully so the other chap will help you out lah)

Be warned, from the time you put your name in, till the time they call you, its a matter of years. an entire HDB can be torn down, and a new one built up and you maybe havent even get a call lol. Esp for Rolex Subs.

1. is this your first luxury watch?
  2. will you consider going grey? (i personally dont)
  3. will you consider secondary market?
  4. is BB58/Sub really really your first choice? Have you taken a look at other models? (i will get those two if i were you, but just asking from the point that this is your first purchase, so better to get it right)
  5. go out there and put your name on the waitlist first, then slowly decide.
  6. join the FB groups and ask around, some people may have gotten their watch from another source and by the time they get the call from their AD, they may not want it anymore, so you can take over their spot (rare chance, but no harm trying)

above is just my humble sharing...
Kyo_kusanagi86 likes this.
Old 30-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

Bb58 maybe better chance
All in a Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

just to share. i have been trying to hunt down bb58 for past 2 month. singapore AD all say probably more than 1 year waiting list.

tried dubai, bali and japan when i was there. no luck as well. Good luck!
th3pr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Master Member

If you really want a Submariner, like REALLY WANT, just suck it up, pay the premium and buy it now from a grey dealer. You get to enjoy the watch immediately and there’s value in that.

If you “put your name down”, expect to never get a call.

Otherwise, simply don’t buy one of these popular models. There are plenty of other choices. You just have to not care about “face”.
wahjohreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

If this is your one and only purchase, don’t need to try to go AD. You won’t have the chance to get it one. BB58 you prob have to wait a long time if not impossible. If you want. Just go grey or buy pre-owned. Simpler and easier.

I rmb I was like you, combed all the AD. Some upright just ignore you. Only emperor and watch palace talk nicely saying that no stock, ask me want consider other models. That time explorer 2 was in stock at watch palace. Emperor ask me to wait approx 2 years. I wasn’t gonna wait. I bought grey, now wear close to 2 years liao. Lol

If not just like what gx84 say, still got other luxury watch brand you can consider like omega or what.

BB58 maybe still have discount? But sub I think if really they offer you, just take liao at RRP, you still want ask discount lol!
Which sub are you looking at? Sub no date? Black subC date? Hulk? TT sub?

Last edited by kashix; 30-01-2020 at 12:35 PM..
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #8

You should not pay any deposit just to be no said waitlist. Just for sharing, sometimes when ADs pass you a piece of paper to put as waitlist, do not be surprised if they throw the slip of paper away once you leave, they will always give priority to more high value customers (hey, thats life lol).

Not sure about KKH, but for THG at least, you can verify that your name is there by going to another THG store and asking them to verify if your name is in their system (do it tactfully so the other chap will help you out lah)

Be warned, from the time you put your name in, till the time they call you, its a matter of years. an entire HDB can be torn down, and a new one built up and you maybe havent even get a call lol. Esp for Rolex Subs.

4. is BB58/Sub really really your first choice? Have you taken a look at other models? (i will get those two if i were you, but just asking from the point that this is your first purchase, so better to get it right)
  6. join the FB groups and ask around, some people may have gotten their watch from another source and by the time they get the call from their AD, they may not want it anymore, so you can take over their spot (rare chance, but no harm trying)

Good info..another way is to go overseas and get discounts via tax rebates..if they have stock..
silversurfer_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Good info..another way is to go overseas and get discounts via tax rebates..if they have stock..
Very hard to get even if overseas. Close to impossible unless really very heng at right place at right time.

One of my customer got his root beer gmt at Thailand airport transit area at RRP. He saw it, he got it immediately. Lol

Last edited by kashix; 30-01-2020 at 01:39 PM..
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #10

What your budget ah? You can start with a 5-6K watch.
lowandhighseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

ya actually just to share, last year i already set aside funds for a BB58..i went to a few ADs to put my name but i know realistically, there are other more high value customers above me in the wait list...

im not known for being patient especially when i have already set my target, so i shifted my funds to an omega seamaster (the wavy white dial one). its more expensive than a BB58 but damn its worth every bucks of it...
Old 30-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #12

Actually just curious, AD in some country dont accept waiting list and purely sell based on stock on hand?

even though i couldn't get bb58 from dubai. i got a friend manage to just walk in purchase a Tudor GMT Pepsi off dubai rolex AD with around 10% christmas discount late dec 2019. Tudor pepsi also have long waiting list in singapore....
th3pr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

If this is your one and only purchase, don’t need to try to go AD. You won’t have the chance to get it one. BB58 you prob have to wait a long time if not impossible. If you want. Just go grey or buy pre-owned. Simpler and easier.

I rmb I was like you, combed all the AD. Some upright just ignore you. Only emperor and watch palace talk nicely saying that no stock, ask me want consider other models. That time explorer 2 was in stock at watch palace. Emperor ask me to wait approx 2 years. I wasn’t gonna wait. I bought grey, now wear close to 2 years liao. Lol

If not just like what gx84 say, still got other luxury watch brand you can consider like omega or what.

BB58 maybe still have discount? But sub I think if really they offer you, just take liao at RRP, you still want ask discount lol!

wait. u mean bb58 also need to wait??? looks like a very ordinary watch. damn I was eyeing this model.
FrogGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #14

Answers in bold

If you really want a Submariner, like REALLY WANT, just suck it up, pay the premium and buy it now from a grey dealer. You get to enjoy the watch immediately and there’s value in that.

If you “put your name down”, expect to never get a call.

Otherwise, simply don’t buy one of these popular models. There are plenty of other choices. You just have to not care about “face”.

ya actually just to share, last year i already set aside funds for a BB58..i went to a few ADs to put my name but i know realistically, there are other more high value customers above me in the wait list...

im not known for being patient especially when i have already set my target, so i shifted my funds to an omega seamaster (the wavy white dial one). its more expensive than a BB58 but damn its worth every bucks of it...
thank you all for your help and input. Greatly appreciated! Actually I don't mind getting the older black bay 41, hopefully for that model will be readily available in stock. Thank you all for the info on discounts as well, I will be sure to ask.

With regards to sub, I am looking at either sub no date or sub c date, but seeing as it is near impossible to get hands on stock now, I may forgo that dream. However, I am wondering, if say I purchase 2-3 watches at the same time (say i.e. 2 rolex, 1 tudor) would the chances of getting the subs from ADs be higher?Perhaps I can combine purchases with my dad.

I am abit uncomfortable buying from grey as this will be my first luxury watch purchase and I still don't know what to look out for. Also not keen on second hand. thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 30-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Thanks bro for your advice. In the event I do decide to get from grey, may I know which shops are reputable?

Actually hoping to combine purchases with my dad who is thinking of getting a Rolex or two, but knowing him, he will only go to AD.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.