Official Alterations Thread

Haris

Master Member
Reaction score
I was quoted $65 to make my pants slimmer only. Of course i rejected. Got 3 things you want to alter, make it slim, shorten sleeve length and shorten the shirt length. If you really have the money, go ahead. Have you tried neighbourhood shops? Those that can tailor blazer/shirts should know how to alter shirts properly.

If you know how to handle sewing machines, then look up on youtube how to do these. I personally done what you mentioned and yes very tough:s22: But manageable if you have the time.

taeyeon91

Reaction score
i have the money, but then again, i also am a thrifty person. if it's not the market rate, of course i will not go ahead with the transaction. but because it's a special shirt and i was in a rush for time, i just said okay to her.

i should have done a bit more research on those cheap and good altering shops

lee_tired_sheep

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you tried returning the shirt for a smaller size? Sounds like every aspect also don't fit.

taeyeon91

Reaction score
hehe only the shoulders fit :p

i generally don't fit will into US made shirts because ang moh from US generally very... fat

boysdontcryy

Reaction score
I think you got ripped off. I rarely alter shirts these days, but at my alterations guy at FEP, who took in the shoulders, shortened and slimmed the sleeves, as well as slimmed the sides, the bill came up to approximately 25 SGD. That said, I've used him for a long time.

Lippyt

Reaction score
hi guys and girls

today i went to far east plaza 04-89 (clancy boutique) to alter a shirt from h&m

because the shirt was too baggy for me, i wanted to alter the sleeve to be tighter (raise up hand got a lot of excess cloth), the sides to be tapered, the sleeve length to be slightly shorter, the shirt length to be shorter, and the back of the shirt to be tighter.

the total cost was 83 at first! but then i cut to 65 because the auntie say can cheaper if i don't want to keep the selvedge inside (also cannot see anyway, and not jeans)

i didn't know it costs so much to 65. did i just get ripped off? the shirt was bought by my gf, so i die die want to make the shirt fit me nicely so i can wear it often and look nice in it

From what I gather, Clancy charges a premium for their alternation services. Walk in customers are more of good utilisation of their spare capacity. They do alteration services (B2B) for a few big name brands. As clancy is working with these brands, certain quality standards must be met such as flat felled seams. Hence altering at clancy should yield a neater shirt with a higher standard of workmanship.

That being said here's a tip: you'd usually get free alteration services for most branded apparel. It's even possible that sending the shirt in through the original retailer may get you lower rates (they will then send the shirt to a tailor like clancy)

There are many other alteration tailors in FEP, try michelle, Ivan, Serene. You will notice that each has their specialties and will do your alterations at varying price points.

Tapering your shirt/trousers at these other tailors will cost between 13-20 dollars. You will get excellent fit for some and neat workmanship for others, but rarely both.

xtreamzz

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, i recently altered the length of my fp polo tee at tet tailor's.. it cost me $12 dollars. idk if its ripped off or not but it seems acceptable for me and the workmanship was good. at least you wont have a shirt rotting in the waredrobe. can go there to try too. (heard from people that can bargain as well) :)

osirisx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
basically tighten shirt & shorten shirt length and shorten the sleeve right?

I did mine for 13 and I still feel the pinch:(
ts ish elite

ajninknaw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i altered 2 visvim shirts there cost like 40 or 50 each . damn ex but great job done .

josephkjc

Reaction score
I think you got ripped off. I rarely alter shirts these days, but at my alterations guy at FEP, who took in the shoulders, shortened and slimmed the sleeves, as well as slimmed the sides, the bill came up to approximately 25 SGD. That said, I've used him for a long time.

ts ish elite

That is a good price.
I asked 2 shops in FEP and one near my place to shorten the sleeves of a long sleeve shirts already quoted between $15 to 18

josephkjc

Reaction score

ts ish elite

Can share where you tighten shirt & shorten shirt length and shorten the sleeve for $13? PM me if no convenient to post

archangle13

Reaction score
From what I gather, Clancy charges a premium for their alternation services. Walk in customers are more of good utilisation of their spare capacity. They do alteration services (B2B) for a few big name brands. As clancy is working with these brands, certain quality standards must be met such as flat felled seams. Hence altering at clancy should yield a neater shirt with a higher standard of workmanship.

That being said here's a tip: you'd usually get free alteration services for most branded apparel. It's even possible that sending the shirt in through the original retailer may get you lower rates (they will then send the shirt to a tailor like clancy)

There are many other alteration tailors in FEP, try michelle, Ivan, Serene. You will notice that each has their specialties and will do your alterations at varying price points.

Tapering your shirt/trousers at these other tailors will cost between 13-20 dollars. You will get excellent fit for some and neat workmanship for others, but rarely both.

Where can I taper my chinos and retain the felled seam for less than $15?

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to alter pants? I need to make the pants slimmer.

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I alter my shirt at the waist for slimmer fit.. $6-7

At City Square Mall B2, the trim eyebrow shop at the lift lobby..

Last edited:

archangle13

Reaction score
I alter my shirt at the waist for slimmer fit.. $6-7

At City Square Mall B2, the trim eyebrown shop at the lift lobby..

The eyebrow shop does it?!

Any other recommendations for low-cost shirt slimming alteration? Preferably in Queensway shopping centre or central area.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.