The Spectacles Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourseasons2000

Reaction score
Pardon me for asking this question, for Rimless spectacles, do u guys request for the sides of the lens to be polished? If so, what is the difference for doing so? Optician told me usually they won't encourage customer to Polish...

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommended shops for cheap and normal spectacles or any neighbourhood shops will do?

Thanks.

if your mom is good at bargaining, bring her lor .
sometimes the way they bargain until like enemies like that... get another 10-30% off on top of what's offered.
assuming you're offered close to retail.

low power normal glasses should be less than $100

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pardon me for asking this question, for Rimless spectacles, do u guys request for the sides of the lens to be polished? If so, what is the difference for doing so? Optician told me usually they won't encourage customer to Polish...

polished glasses look better. more finished look? sleeker cleaner feel.

there's no good or bad but I generally do not advise those who haven't tried to go for polished unless they're certain they want it.

reason being light reflects internally(off the polished surfaces) too so if you're surrounded by bright lights they'll bounce into your eyes .
most common is you'll definitely be walking under lights indoors. and for myself when I first gotten my rimless glasses I noticed a light reflection going left as I turn my head right.
irritating as hell for a first time wearer. but for long term wearers there's no difference .

some guys like me who's sensitive , will feel it. others don't notice a thing.
lower powered rimlon don't really get affected.(you can't even tell if its polished)

but high powered glasses (thick sides) require caution. I've heard of old ladies blaming the reflection for their falling.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hi fourseasons, you can actually request your optician to do semi-polished instead. Thats what i requested everytime i make new glasses nowadays. I realise that sometimes if they do a full polish they make errors and may cause some unsightly marks on the sides of the lenses, but if you dont polish at all for rimless the lenses may not look that outstanding initially. So the best is go for half-half win-win situation. Even if you dont win, at least you get a draw which is not that bad. You dont need to risk your expensive lenses under the careless hands of the lab staff. If you lucky they do a good job, if you unlucky on days when the lab staff having moody days, your lens/glasses will get ruined (dont look that nice). Craftsmanship also depends on mood not solely on skill. Semi-polish requires less from the staff so naturally safer too. Happy for everyone.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is too soft?

I just felt the lens sticks closer to my face when I use my silhouette... compared to chairmant...

Feel like getting another frame That can fit into my Rimless photofusion lens...

What he meant is that silhouette too flexible & thin. I advise you not to get another frame to fit into your new lens, no point doing that & then risk ruining your lens & ultimately the whole specs. For one thing they may not be able to get your optical centre right when you "transfer" over.

YOu eiether try to get used to the new silhuoette or if really still bothers you after some time, maybe get a skilled optician to adjust the nosepad arms out so that the frame front sits further away from your face.

My guess is that you may have a higher cheekbone. Japanese frames are designed for their own people which is why most of the time you see that the nosepad arms are designed in a horizontal "S" shape so that the frame do not sit that close to your face as compared to the european-fit frames.

I think silhuoette's nosepad arms are straight ones pretty much like tagheuer. Good luck.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oakleys were great til they got taken over, been downhil since.

ever bought a cartier frame?

if dun sells here and internationally, the price wouldn't be at the current level.
I don't think there're much good jap stuff around, really. especially at $100? it's just the brand you're paying for. wouldn't be japanese craftsmanship.
when they sell good stuff, the japs always make you pay for it. and if it's sold here, they'll make you pay jap prices as well.

cartier frames are too old for me.

whether "Dun" sells or not it isnt my business so long and so far im able to get my hands on them. Price is medium end. Not too exp nor too cheap. It should have a certain recognition back in japan.

I have worn good jap frames that cost $130 a few years back. Very solid. Very light. Only slight discoloration. Bought at neighbourhood shop. They still carry that brand now after so many years.

I dont mind paying jap prices if they are good in my own opinion. But i will not pay german prices for german designs. Their shavers are still not bad, but i have my reservations on their specs, not becos they are not good, but becos i dont have german features.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
again I have to state, different folks different strokes. I've never had the need for the squeezing thing.(I'm a swissflex wearer) but the particular guy just felt lost without it. loosening for him only meant that he'll return within the week to adjust them back.
while I do tell people it's best not to have the legs squeeze in and leave a mark. at the end of the day the wearer decides what's comfortable.

let me make a prediction. Did that particular guy who insists on squeezing the temples also request that you bend down the temple tip by a large degree as well?

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
let me make a prediction. Did that particular guy who insists on squeezing the temples also request that you bend down the temple tip by a large degree as well?

nope lol sq wire 2.0

don't ask me why, but he simply loved it that way

kingsen

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie in specs here. Last made spec was like 6-8 years ago for NS.. Currently looking to make new spec but my optical shop close down already. Any optical shop / glasses recommendation ?

I'm looking for sporty look.. Cos sometimes i ride bike. Something like those shades / sunglasses type . I'm open to all brands , budget hopefully below 600. Btw I have astigmatism also.

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oakleys were great til they got taken over, been downhil since.

ever bought a cartier frame?

if dun sells here and internationally, the price wouldn't be at the current level.
I don't think there're much good jap stuff around, really. especially at $100? it's just the brand you're paying for. wouldn't be japanese craftsmanship.
when they sell good stuff, the japs always make you pay for it. and if it's sold here, they'll make you pay jap prices as well.

cartier frames? i nvr seem then in sg before. where to find those??? and what are the price range of their frames?

Thef00l

Reaction score
Hi, i looking to make a frame-less glasses. budget around 200. any brand for durability and classy look to recommend?

momochan

Reaction score
efenkfek.gif

anyone know what pair is this? looks kinda like a ray ban..

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie in specs here. Last made spec was like 6-8 years ago for NS.. Currently looking to make new spec but my optical shop close down already. Any optical shop / glasses recommendation ?

I'm looking for sporty look.. Cos sometimes i ride bike. Something like those shades / sunglasses type . I'm open to all brands , budget hopefully below 600. Btw I have astigmatism also.

for variety try seng li in queensway?

what's your degree like?

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

whether "Dun" sells or not it isnt my business so long and so far im able to get my hands on them. Price is medium end. Not too exp nor too cheap. It should have a certain recognition back in japan.

I have worn good jap frames that cost $130 a few years back. Very solid. Very light. Only slight discoloration. Bought at neighbourhood shop. They still carry that brand now after so many years.

I dont mind paying jap prices if they are good in my own opinion. But i will not pay german prices for german designs. Their shavers are still not bad, but i have my reservations on their specs, not becos they are not good, but becos i dont have german features.

what jap frame cost $130? after discount?

nice try but I'll still have to pigeon hole you into the "fanboy" area lol

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi fourseasons, you can actually request your optician to do semi-polished instead. Thats what i requested everytime i make new glasses nowadays. I realise that sometimes if they do a full polish they make errors and may cause some unsightly marks on the sides of the lenses, but if you dont polish at all for rimless the lenses may not look that outstanding initially. So the best is go for half-half win-win situation. Even if you dont win, at least you get a draw which is not that bad. You dont need to risk your expensive lenses under the careless hands of the lab staff. If you lucky they do a good job, if you unlucky on days when the lab staff having moody days, your lens/glasses will get ruined (dont look that nice). Craftsmanship also depends on mood not solely on skill. Semi-polish requires less from the staff so naturally safer too. Happy for everyone.

on polishing, what is done is there's a big polishing wheel apply some of that polishing wax or something and slowly push your lenses towards the whell.

and the people doing doesn't get paid for doing it lol and in fact they get pissed whenever customers have a specific request that requires thinking.
semi polish is one of them :s13::s13: shape change....etc.

if you see them often enough it generally makes no difference whether you request it or not. they'll still give you the same thing
it really depends on the person doing. some care, others couldn't care less.

(I met a person who requested for "liquid polish " once, that did make a diff. the sides were polished so well it really looks like water)

some of the best "semi polish" I've seen were actually done by hand and a piece of cloth. slowly over a few days. and at the end of it. it's not something that makes economic sense as no one is willing to pay for such skills most customers would insist "I bought the glasses from you so do it for free"
so ta da!.... let the lab do it.
most of the skilled lens edgers I've met have either becomed bosses or have already retired. and are being replaced by new guys who are there to push buttons on the automatic machine.
in fact in the last 8-9 years, I've have had certain services discontinued because, it's not economic or no one is there to do it anymore.

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What he meant is that silhouette too flexible & thin. I advise you not to get another frame to fit into your new lens, no point doing that & then risk ruining your lens & ultimately the whole specs. For one thing they may not be able to get your optical centre right when you "transfer" over.

YOu eiether try to get used to the new silhuoette or if really still bothers you after some time, maybe get a skilled optician to adjust the nosepad arms out so that the frame front sits further away from your face.

My guess is that you may have a higher cheekbone. Japanese frames are designed for their own people which is why most of the time you see that the nosepad arms are designed in a horizontal "S" shape so that the frame do not sit that close to your face as compared to the european-fit frames.

I think silhuoette's nosepad arms are straight ones pretty much like tagheuer. Good luck.

if the nosepad adjustments don't work, try flattening the frame

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cartier frames? i nvr seem then in sg before. where to find those??? and what are the price range of their frames?

they're more common in orchard road areas though some suburb do have them.

and a large number who purchase them are actually young chaps, most I've met are below 50
30s and 40s
and most of them belong to a certain group. not really an age thing. it's a club. think of it as shallow if you will but if you wanna talk to them and become "friends", do business together you best dress the part. :s22::s22:
like how the oakley guys wear oakleys. raybans, and so on....etc

cost on average?
I've seen those less than 1k but back then the popular ones are around 1.2k to 2k plus
solid 18k ones for 3.2k to 5k onwards

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what jap frame cost $130? after discount?

nice try but I'll still have to pigeon hole you into the "fanboy" area lol

i dont think you can understand plain english. Like what i have said, the jap frame is bought from neighbourhood shop & ofcos that will just be a normal jap frame with no strong branding, but still with as much quality & functionality. That neighbourhood shop never does any sales kind of tactics. Even if they give discount it will be just a few dollars off the price tag.

I am not a fan. In the past i have worn jap frames but didnt like them thought that not so good, and then went in a wide circle in search of the best frame. I have basically tried all kinds of brand frames in the market & the conclusive result is that japanese frames seem to give me the best fit available at he end of the day. Not that they are really that great, but just the best at present.

The only country i think which have a possibility of creating better fit might be korea, but even that possibility may still be some time away, if that ever materialises.

Strictly no more european fit for me again. If i ever do that, i will bang my head straight into the wall.

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they're more common in orchard road areas though some suburb do have them.

and a large number who purchase them are actually young chaps, most I've met are below 50
30s and 40s
and most of them belong to a certain group. not really an age thing. it's a club. think of it as shallow if you will but if you wanna talk to them and become "friends", do business together you best dress the part. :s22::s22:
like how the oakley guys wear oakleys. raybans, and so on....etc

cost on average?
I've seen those less than 1k but back then the popular ones are around 1.2k to 2k plus
solid 18k ones for 3.2k to 5k onwards

wa crazy prices siah. lol

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dont think you can understand plain english. Like what i have said, the jap frame is bought from neighbourhood shop & ofcos that will just be a normal jap frame with no strong branding, but still with as much quality & functionality. That neighbourhood shop never does any sales kind of tactics. Even if they give discount it will be just a few dollars off the price tag.
I think you don't understand the way it works.

I'll have to say no such frames unless I see it. npnt

and if it's a small neighbourhood shop it makes it all the more unlikely not to have a non branded japanese frame.

japanese sales staff don't come here to promote their stuff anymore, and the known cheaper ones are seiko/nikon/charmant. evisu? and all these aren't MIJ anymore. these are considered branded btw

everything's made in china for the last few years

I'll still have to say there's no non branded jap frames here unless it's bought in direct from japan by the shop herself which if virtually unheard off in SG for neighbourhood shops where cost is a factor

I am not a fan. In the past i have worn jap frames but didnt like them thought that not so good, and then went in a wide circle in search of the best frame. I have basically tried all kinds of brand frames in the market & the conclusive result is that japanese frames seem to give me the best fit available at he end of the day. Not that they are really that great, but just the best at present.

The only country i think which have a possibility of creating better fit might be korea, but even that possibility may still be some time away, if that ever materialises.

Strictly no more european fit for me again. If i ever do that, i will bang my head straight into the wall.
:s22::s22::s22::s22:

I took a year and a half to assemble my current glasses and I still have to take me hat off to you.

korea? I think they need frames for higher bridges with all the plastic surgeries going on.
and.... virtually all the korean frames sold here suspiciously look like it's from PRC. even though it's TR material.
I'm trying out ultem myself but with the results on TR I don't think ultem's going to turn out that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.