The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like glass is because less Prone to scratches and wun turn brown.. Some plastic lenses I remember I use branded lenses turn brown.. My framesless lenses the optician said must be careful.. But it last me 10over years before it crack abit

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ordered the below 1.67 lense

Left: 6.00 / -1.00 x 165
Right: 5.50 / -2.75 x 10

for 420RM.

was quoted 300RM for the 1.60 lense, but the optician said 1.60 would look very thick.

I asked for the cheapest lense.

is it considered value worth?

am pairing it with Stefan Preutz @ 900RM.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Sp frames quite wide(length), thus the longer it is the thicker your lens will be especially if you are a myope.(-power) . Thus 1.67 will be the best choice for you! Not a bad choice but in future can consider a slightly more reputable lens brand with better coating.

ordered the below 1.67 lense

Left: 6.00 / -1.00 x 165
Right: 5.50 / -2.75 x 10

for 420RM.

was quoted 300RM for the 1.60 lense, but the optician said 1.60 would look very thick.

I asked for the cheapest lense.

is it considered value worth?

am pairing it with Stefan Preutz @ 900RM.

bohicgress

Reaction score
Wide Frame and progressive lenses

Hi guys! Bad eyesight from a misspent youth:)

Where would I go to best find wide frame (was on adidas frames with squishy rubber stalks which broke...shop closed since i got these a year ago)

Have tried owndays. No luck on big frame. Had good luck to meet an honest chap who explained that their progressive lenses are the narrower kind as opposed to the kind I have in my glasses now - not sure what this means.

Real pain to be using my old glasses from 2 years ago so any advice on a place to find large/wide frames (happy with the rubberized Adidas frame if anyone knows a place that carries these)

Agate8

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'll be needing a reading glass as i have reach the ageing stage in life. I've never worn spectacles except sunglasses. I would only need them occasionally when I'm reading fine prints. other then that, i wont be wearing any glasses.

1.Should i go and get tested in a optical shop and probBly get chop? Or
2.Should i just get those cheap of the selves pre- precscription glasses from those book stores?

What would you recommend?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Bad eyesight from a misspent youth:)

Where would I go to best find wide frame (was on adidas frames with squishy rubber stalks which broke...shop closed since i got these a year ago)

Have tried owndays. No luck on big frame. Had good luck to meet an honest chap who explained that their progressive lenses are the narrower kind as opposed to the kind I have in my glasses now - not sure what this means.

Real pain to be using my old glasses from 2 years ago so any advice on a place to find large/wide frames (happy with the rubberized Adidas frame if anyone knows a place that carries these)

Hi! From my knowledge, a few brands with wide frames are like porsche, Starck, Undostrial. They are quite costly too.
Your second point means that the reading area from the place you almost got it from is smaller/narrower than what you have right now. Thus you might have to shift your head more to read fine prints.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'll be needing a reading glass as i have reach the ageing stage in life. I've never worn spectacles except sunglasses. I would only need them occasionally when I'm reading fine prints. other then that, i wont be wearing any glasses.

1.Should i go and get tested in a optical shop and probBly get chop? Or
2.Should i just get those cheap of the selves pre- precscription glasses from those book stores?

What would you recommend?

If your astigmatism is not high, you can consider getting a ready-made reading glasses IF you know what is your reading power. IF NOT, then you should go get your eye tested at a optical shop.(but if you are not getting a glasses from the shop then probably you need to pay a consultation fee still...)

''probably getting chop'', in your opinion what does the shop do to make you feel like you are getting chopped?

bohicgress

Reaction score
Whats a good place to go look. most shops stock p to 56s which is still not really doing the trick. Am resigned to having to pay a bit more as I totally understand the shop bears a carrying cost to cater the customers with larger face

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I feel you can Google frame Brand’s that cater to larger face and then Google singapore shops that have them... I mentioned earlier Porsche, starck.. there definitely be more but just these I can think of now.

Whats a good place to go look. most shops stock p to 56s which is still not really doing the trick. Am resigned to having to pay a bit more as I totally understand the shop bears a carrying cost to cater the customers with larger face

Agate8

Reaction score
If your astigmatism is not high, you can consider getting a ready-made reading glasses IF you know what is your reading power. IF NOT, then you should go get your eye tested at a optical shop.(but if you are not getting a glasses from the shop then probably you need to pay a consultation fee still...)

''probably getting chop'', in your opinion what does the shop do to make you feel like you are getting chopped?

"Getting chopped" due to my ignorance on what to expect possibly.? Lol.

1. Am not aware eg whats the cost of the "consultation & testing".
2. What the prescription outcome should look like.
3. What's the difference between plastic & glass lens.
4. Don't know what i dont know...

:) I guess these are indications of "lamb walking in a wolf den".

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok let me break it down to you.
1) depending on where you go, be it Neighbourhood shop/Malls/private practices. There usually is a consultation charge when your eyes is tested usually 15-50 dollars. But when you do other tests, eye pressure, fundus photo(photo of your retina), OCT(scanning of your retina) etc, the prices will increase just like in a eye clinic. Each test usually has its own individual fees, But I know of some practices that will waive these charges if you make a pair of glasses after.

2) No one will be able to give you the exact outcome of how the lens will look like (thickness,weight) but a rough estimate that is close. We have a lens thickness chart that can give us/consumer an estimate of how thick the lens will be. But as I mentioned in the past, thickness also depends on how wide your frame is. Thus high powered individual is usually recommended to get a smaller frame unless they have broad faces then no choice.

3)plastic is lighter, more impact resistance. Glass is heavier, easier to break/crack but better optical clarity(a lot better). Usually individuals with high power 700/800/900+ opt to go for glass but I do see a fair share that prefers plastic for the weight.

4)if anything else you not sure. The internet has many many forums including here with people I'm sure that will share with you. Many customers now come to me after researching about lenses and frames knowing what they most likely want. Thus, a little research might help. As I feel it's abit unfair to say the moment you go in, you are getting chopped. Impt thing is trust and whether you are comfortable with the optician/optometrist/salesperson. If not you can always walk out and find another place. You are the consumer, you make the final say not us. So if you feel the price is too high, find another shop!

Hope this helps for now. Feel free to ask any qns here or pm me.

Agate8

Reaction score
Ah, ok let me break it down to you.
1) depending on where you go, be it Neighbourhood shop/Malls/private practices. There usually is a consultation charge when your eyes is tested usually 15-50 dollars. But when you do other tests, eye pressure, fundus photo(photo of your retina), OCT(scanning of your retina) etc, the prices will increase just like in a eye clinic. Each test usually has its own individual fees, But I know of some practices that will waive these charges if you make a pair of glasses after.

2) No one will be able to give you the exact outcome of how the lens will look like (thickness,weight) but a rough estimate that is close. We have a lens thickness chart that can give us/consumer an estimate of how thick the lens will be. But as I mentioned in the past, thickness also depends on how wide your frame is. Thus high powered individual is usually recommended to get a smaller frame unless they have broad faces then no choice.

3)plastic is lighter, more impact resistance. Glass is heavier, easier to break/crack but better optical clarity(a lot better). Usually individuals with high power 700/800/900+ opt to go for glass but I do see a fair share that prefers plastic for the weight.

4)if anything else you not sure. The internet has many many forums including here with people I'm sure that will share with you. Many customers now come to me after researching about lenses and frames knowing what they most likely want. Thus, a little research might help. As I feel it's abit unfair to say the moment you go in, you are getting chopped. Impt thing is trust and whether you are comfortable with the optician/optometrist/salesperson. If not you can always walk out and find another place. You are the consumer, you make the final say not us. So if you feel the price is too high, find another shop!

Hope this helps for now. Feel free to ask any qns here or pm me.

Thank you very much for your patience & informarive reply.

I'm pretty noob inew purchases as I've often been upsold, left sold, right sold,... and regretted after i got the invoice. So by starting from here, i intend to do my "homework" before i approach a optometrist.

I anticipate that i will wear the reading glass at bare minimum duration, as I'm not use to having extra weight on my face.

Could you recommend a basic eye check (don't think i need all the test you listed) & a basic reading glass please?

I've seen some shops selling cheap $10 frameless rectangular shape lens glasses? Are these the typical reading glasses?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
From what you mentioned earlier, if you need a reading glass just for fine prints, I infer that your distance is probably close to perfect(6/6). Thus TBH those 10 dollars glasses should be ready make reading glasses. But as those lenses are not of the "optimal quality", you will notice that in a short period of time, there will be abit of eye strain.
Why so? The lenses power are fixed for both sides e.g. 200 each. But what happens is that for a vast majority of us, our eye degree is asymmetric to the other.
Thus the final calculated degree(reading) for both eyes is different and thus causing eye strains as one eye could be over corrected and the other under corrected.
Normal basic eye test would be like the amount I mentioned earlier BUT most shop would waive The Eye test charges if you make a pair of glasses. So essentially you are just paying for the frame/lens. If you scroll past the previous posts, there should be quite a number of shops I recommended or other forumers.. they are reliable and their optometrists/optician will be able to answer your qns. But if you would like to know more here then feel free to ask more. I will try my best to help. 😄👍🏻

Thank you very much for your patience & informarive reply.

I'm pretty noob inew purchases as I've often been upsold, left sold, right sold,... and regretted after i got the invoice. So by starting from here, i intend to do my "homework" before i approach a optometrist.

I anticipate that i will wear the reading glass at bare minimum duration, as I'm not use to having extra weight on my face.

Could you recommend a basic eye check (don't think i need all the test you listed) & a basic reading glass please?

I've seen some shops selling cheap $10 frameless rectangular shape lens glasses? Are these the typical reading glasses?

Agate8

Reaction score
From what you mentioned earlier, if you need a reading glass just for fine prints, I infer that your distance is probably close to perfect(6/6). Thus TBH those 10 dollars glasses should be ready make reading glasses. But as those lenses are not of the "optimal quality", you will notice that in a short period of time, there will be abit of eye strain.
Why so? The lenses power are fixed for both sides e.g. 200 each. But what happens is that for a vast majority of us, our eye degree is asymmetric to the other.
Thus the final calculated degree(reading) for both eyes is different and thus causing eye strains as one eye could be over corrected and the other under corrected.
Normal basic eye test would be like the amount I mentioned earlier BUT most shop would waive The Eye test charges if you make a pair of glasses. So essentially you are just paying for the frame/lens. If you scroll past the previous posts, there should be quite a number of shops I recommended or other forumers.. they are reliable and their optometrists/optician will be able to answer your qns. But if you would like to know more here then feel free to ask more. I will try my best to help. 😄👍🏻

Thank you very much GangsterKia! I appreciate uour advice. Will check out a few shops to get myself check out.

Dontakemecereal-lie

Reaction score
Hello, i've been using spectacles for quite a while since young. Recently I made my spectacles at a new shop with ZEISS lens, which is the lens brand i've been always wearing so i feel more comfortable with it.

However the spectacle frame at the new shop broke at the hinges within 3 months. The salesperson said that the spring was rusted off due to my perspiration, and I was not eligible for warranty. I then bought a new frame that was guaranteed to be easier to maintain by the salesperson and got my lens fitted again, but within a few hours of use, the frame was slightly rickety. I went back to the shop and mentioned this to them, but they said that it was normal for this particular frame to do so.

Am I getting chopped here in the sense of being intentionally sold faulty frames? I believe myself to be relatively decent at maintaining my spectacles given my previous record. My previous few spectacle frames lasted years, some 2 years and some 4 years. I went through army with the 4 year one.

I know that I will not go back to the same shop again even if the current one breaks again, but would other shops replace only the frame without the lens?

Would also like to know if anyone have any recommendation for spectacle shops in the west? My previous spectacle shops were made in the east.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Good Afternoon, i'm not sure how does the warranty for your frame works e.g. manufacturing defects or such. Thus i cant help you for this...

On the second point for rickety sounds, was it made known to you that there might be small gaps when the lens is transferred over due to the difference in size of the 2 frames(old/new)? Sometimes as there are gaps and when you open/close the frames, you might hear some noises/not natural movement of the frame. But it could also be due to the frame e.g. hinge. You can always ask them to request a new pair of frame IF the supplier still has stock for it. But take note that the PD/Pupillary Distance might differ thus sometimes changing the frame might cause your vision to be abit off(blurred).

I believe that other shops out there will surely help you to change a new frame but if you want it within the day, they need to have the proper machine to alter the shape of the lens. It's business for them so they will surely try to help you for them. So take note of the frame size, always make sure the bridge distance is similar or difference by at most 2mm or will risk some visual changes.

Hope this helps!

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Good Afternoon, i'm not sure how does the warranty for your frame works e.g. manufacturing defects or such. Thus i cant help you for this...

On the second point for rickety sounds, was it made known to you that there might be small gaps when the lens is transferred over due to the difference in size of the 2 frames(old/new)? Sometimes as there are gaps and when you open/close the frames, you might hear some noises/not natural movement of the frame. But it could also be due to the frame e.g. hinge. You can always ask them to request a new pair of frame IF the supplier still has stock for it. But take note that the PD/Pupillary Distance might differ thus sometimes changing the frame might cause your vision to be abit off(blurred).

I believe that other shops out there will surely help you to change a new frame but if you want it within the day, they need to have the proper machine to alter the shape of the lens. It's business for them so they will surely try to help you for them. So take note of the frame size, always make sure the bridge distance is similar or difference by at most 2mm or will risk some visual changes.

Hope this helps!

Hi, one of my female friend would like to know a bit about AO Easy HD Progressive lenses and hope that you can share your knowledge. Which is the latest Progressive lenses for AO brand? If the wearer degree is both eye 800+ and 200 (hyperopia), how much it will cost?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Sure. Will let you know more tonight. Pretty busy today!

Hi, one of my female friend would like to know a bit about AO Easy HD Progressive lenses and hope that you can share your knowledge. Which is the latest Progressive lenses for AO brand? If the wearer degree is both eye 800+ and 200 (hyperopia), how much it will cost?

Luffyz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wearing spec with progressive lens. Recently i had problem focusing on words in laptop with it.

If cover one eye there is no issue. And i also notice that if i pull the spec further away from eyes , the fonts are well focus too.

Should i go find eye doc or make another new progressive spec? The spec was ok few months ago.Hope to have recommendation, thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.