HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree466Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #3061
Master Member

don't know who you heard it from but higher index doesn't equate to better clarity. some brands might be better but its all personal preference. under 200 no need 1.74. 1.6 more than sufficient. i rather use the savings on the lens to buy a nice meal
Yes use the savings to buy meal with green veggies and carrots to increase nutrients for your eyes for better clarity.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #3062
Master Member

Hi there, what's the best way to maintain your lenses if washing with soap isn't good? I do wash with regular soap sometimes, then pat dry with soft tissue and then use the microfiber cloth.
You need a good multicoat so that oil and dust will slide off your lens. I find that hoya coating is the best. Cleans easily wipes easily. Been using dettol soap to wash my hoya lens daily and no coat peeling off at all for all my previous hoya lenses. Never happened before. Not even visible scratches unless go under microscope. I also uses tissue to wipe vigorously and not light tap. Bo scratches not even a tiny one after years. Thats how good.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by Seannie; 28-05-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 28-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #3063
Master Member

Paul, just some add on. In lenses, there are something called abbe value. This tells us how clear (lesser abberation) the lenses are. The higher the refractive index, the smaller the value, thus more abberation. It means that if you go higher index, clarity will be compromised.

However, sometimes we want a balance of Clarity and Cosmetically appealing lenses.

thus we go for a slightly branded lenses just to make sure they are both thin and beautiful.

Just my 5 cents worth.
Yeah... My opinion is that 1.67 index is the balanced one to get. 1.74 might compromise the clarity as lesser light gets into our eyes due to high index. Too low index like 1.6 will result in too thick lenses for high power like mine and create alot of abberations. So 1.67 index is best for me with good abbe value and economically wise and aesthetically wise the best.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 28-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #3064
Master Member

Take note for certain amount of degrees that you all have, certain index of lenses will be enough. E.g a -1.00D to -3.00D ,1.60 is fine for sure , anything above -3.00 and above you can consider what user Dane or Seannie mentioned which is to use a 1.67 index lens.
If Budget is a factor, 1.6 can still work.
Don't be too overkill with such Low power to go for such high indexes as the thickness will be similar and you will be paying more for a minimal change.
However a 200 degree individual can also make a 1.67 if you are willing to spend to specially customise the lenses. But it would cost a lot more.. so food for thought if it's worth to spend if you are getting a full frame...even rimless or rimlon(half frame)..
One last thing, I have to mention again is that for certain indexes of lenses, there is a minimum power criteria to hit before being able to use. So it doesn't mean that if you are 200 degrees or lower you can use a 1.67 or a 1.74. Rmb to take note!
~Dragonite~ and daneyong like this.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 28-05-2017 at 05:31 PM..
GANGSTERKIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #3065
Master Member

Guys, sorry noob question. I just got 2 pairs of branded sunglasses as a gift. Go where do the lens with degree? Mine is low 150 both side
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Pryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #3066
Master Member

Good morning, most shops will be able to do tinting for you with degree. Shouldn't cost you more than 100 per pair.

Guys, sorry noob question. I just got 2 pairs of branded sunglasses as a gift. Go where do the lens with degree? Mine is low 150 both side
~Dragonite~ likes this.
GANGSTERKIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #3067

Hi guys, are kodak single lenses good?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
beary2teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #3068

progressive Lens

Planning to make a new pair of spec, currently i am wearing Hoya summit Pro for three years, optical shop recommend the following

Essilor Varilux Comfort
Progressive
Transition
prevencia

at S$690, is this worth it? or what you guys recommend.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
leongheng70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #3069
Master Member

Planning to make a new pair of spec, currently i am wearing Hoya summit Pro for three years, optical shop recommend the following

Essilor Varilux Comfort
Progressive
Transition
prevencia

My opinion is to stick back with Hoya.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #3070

My opinion is to stick back with Hoya.
Any reason why?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
leongheng70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #3071

Kodak does not own any lens factories.
All their stock lenses are OEM.

In my opinion, their lenses are ok in quality like many unbranded lenses.

Hi guys, are kodak single lenses good?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
badpapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #3072

Best way would either use lens wipes or lens spray. Zeiss has really good ones.

Soap is fine but it has to be diluted and in very small amount. We do make the mistake of just directly putting the concentrated soap over the lenses and in larger amount thus over Periods of time , it will cause the lens multicoat to start peeling.

Using the micro Fiber cloth given is great but also remember to wash the cloth maybe once or twice a week as sometimes small debris might be on the cloth or dirts. Thus if we just carry on using the cloth it will cause more harm to then lenses rather than cleaning. That's why some people will complain saying "aiya my cloth no good, clean so much still got scratches" and when I ask when was the last time you wash your cloth? They be like huh must wash one? I never wash before and just put in my pocket.. thus we need to be aware that it's important too, to wash the cloths.
Avoid using tissue and clothing too as when we are outside, dust and small hard objects might be on our clothes and as we are unable to see them, we use our clothes to wipe and bam, scratches..
hope this helps!
wow thanks for this that was really helpful
~Dragonite~ likes this.
holiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #3073
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm looking to do back a silhouette frame and carl zeiss lens, anyone know which shop price is good? How about JB?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #3074

Essilor Varilux Comfort
Progressive
Transition
prevencia

Hi LeongHeng, IMO, if you are already using Hoya SP for 3 years, it is not advisable to change to Essilor VC. The 2 lenses are completely different design. Seannie is right, stick back to Hoya. Or consider Carl Zeiss, both Hoya and Carl Zeiss uses similar design, we called Hard Design so adaptation will be easier and you have lesser focusing problem. Note: Zeiss recently launched a new lens called EnergizeMe - this lens is Soft design like Essilor Comfort. If you are sensitive, stay away from this new lens.

Both Hoya and Carl Zeiss have similar functions Transition and Prevencia, but the name is different. Hoya call it Sensity and Blue-Control, Carl Zeiss called it PhotoFusion and Blue-Protect.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
daneyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #3075

I'm looking to do back a silhouette frame and carl zeiss lens, anyone know which shop price is good? How about JB?
Hi Danxiaogui, I think in Singapore nowadays. You walk into 10 shops, all their prices are almost the same if they take out the Carl Zeiss RRP List?? Some shops may offer a 10% discount. But this discount is insignificant IMO. What's important is whether when you have problems with the lenses or Silhouette Frame, they are the authorized dealer/reseller. Especially Silhouette Frame, they are flimsy and need a lot of adjustment by the shop before they can fit properly on our face.

Proper eye test is important too. If you are going to spend this much amount of money why not find a more reputable shop to do a proper eye test?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
daneyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.