HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree455Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #3076

Anyone knows how much rimless spectacles (polycarbonate lens degree about 400 now) usually cost? Is $100 possible? My usual optician always charges $400 and I've to change every year because degree keeps increasing.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
datalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #3077

Hi LeongHeng, IMO, if you are already using Hoya SP for 3 years, it is not advisable to change to Essilor VC. The 2 lenses are completely different design. Seannie is right, stick back to Hoya. Or consider Carl Zeiss, both Hoya and Carl Zeiss uses similar design, we called Hard Design so adaptation will be easier and you have lesser focusing problem. Note: Zeiss recently launched a new lens called EnergizeMe - this lens is Soft design like Essilor Comfort. If you are sensitive, stay away from this new lens.

Both Hoya and Carl Zeiss have similar functions Transition and Prevencia, but the name is different. Hoya call it Sensity and Blue-Control, Carl Zeiss called it PhotoFusion and Blue-Protect.
Thanks Daneyoung for the detailed explanation, will stick back to hoya, but heard this is obsolete, is this true ?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
leongheng70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #3078
Master Member

Apart from polycarbonate you can consider using Lens indexes of 1.6-1.67. They are also impact resistance but not as much as a polycarbonate. Polycarbonate lenses also tend
To have poorer clarity compared to the other indexes. A 1.6 index lens might be just fine if you be slightly more careful and it be more cost effective. But for 100 dollars to get a polycarbonate lens probably not possible.. ballpark figure of the cost of polycarbonate would be around 180-200, 1.6 maybe 160-180? And 250-270 for 1.67? Just for lenses only Take note!
Anyone knows how much rimless spectacles (polycarbonate lens degree about 400 now) usually cost? Is $100 possible? My usual optician always charges $400 and I've to change every year because degree keeps increasing.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #3079
Master Member

Summit pro is still in the market!

Thanks Daneyoung for the detailed explanation, will stick back to hoya, but heard this is obsolete, is this true ?
~Dragonite~ and daneyong like this.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #3080

Summit pro is still in the market!
Thanks Gangsterkia, i will check with my optical shop later.
leongheng70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #3081

Apart from polycarbonate you can consider using Lens indexes of 1.6-1.67. They are also impact resistance but not as much as a polycarbonate. Polycarbonate lenses also tend
To have poorer clarity compared to the other indexes. A 1.6 index lens might be just fine if you be slightly more careful and it be more cost effective. But for 100 dollars to get a polycarbonate lens probably not possible.. ballpark figure of the cost of polycarbonate would be around 180-200, 1.6 maybe 160-180? And 250-270 for 1.67? Just for lenses only Take note!
I see, thanks so much for the info! I'm clueless when it comes to such things. Always wondered if I was getting ripped off because people seem to be getting their full/half frame spectacles for <$100 (brandless ones).
~Dragonite~ likes this.
datalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #3082
Master Member

Perhaps the lenses they used are those "slightly lower quality" and not really suppose to be meant for half frames. Full frame lenses you can surely find for that price though. But with the price you pay, you can expect the quality of the lenses to be in equivalent to it. Sometimes it's really better to invest more in the lenses unless cost and other reasons might call for otherwise.

I see, thanks so much for the info! I'm clueless when it comes to such things. Always wondered if I was getting ripped off because people seem to be getting their full/half frame spectacles for <$100 (brandless ones).
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #3083
Master Member

Thanks Gangsterkia, i will check with my optical shop later.
Yea man... Most important is not about lenses or frames... The key is the quality of your optician or the person making the prescription and handling because you need to rely on this person for the best advice to give you and also making adjustment for you. Best is those private practice with some years of experience and preferably have own lab in shop as well.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #3084
Master Member

And its best to deal directly with the boss or person in charge of the private practice because any problems with lenses the boss can call the shots to redo for you foc and make compromises unlike the staff in chain stores who cant make the call...
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #3085
Master Member

Even if its obsolete something better will replace it. But dont expect to pay the same as last time you make your lenses because prices have been revised up. Im sure hoya lens should last you quite a number of years due to its quality coating.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #3086

Hi Datalock, I'm sure the very reason why you always go back to your Optician is because 1) You trust he/she does a good job of testing your eyes. 2) You trust he/she will always give you the BEST ADVISE in your choice of Frame and Lenses. 3) You trust he/she will give you NOT JUST THE BEST PRICE, but also BEST VALUE for the price you pay for.

If any of the 3 reasons is not true, then you might wanna reconsider going back to them.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
daneyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #3087

Hi Leongheng, most of the lenses from a particular Company will always use back the same "Successful" Design. This will allow their own customers to be able to adapt and upgrade to their own lenses. And Summit Pro is one of their most Successful lenses, they will not discontinue it. So no worries.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #3088

Yea man... Most important is not about lenses or frames... The key is the quality of your optician or the person making the prescription and handling because you need to rely on this person for the best advice to give you and also making adjustment for you. Best is those private practice with some years of experience and preferably have own lab in shop as well.
I have an opposing opinion compared to Seannie. I prefer Chain-store because usually they will do all the exchanges, compensation when you have problems. You don't always have to wait, look for the boss only. Any staffs can serve, help you. Chain-store also always send their staffs for training and knowledge upgrading. Just my 2 cents worth
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #3089
High Supremacy Member

Ooh so true. The optical shop that I went to has their own lab in shop as well.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
peaceheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #3090
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone's tried Hoya lens with blue light filter? How's it? I was quoted $380 sgd for mine , with frame included.

~Dragonite~ likes this.
MeowEatsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.