The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

loackerc

Reaction score
@GANGSTERKIA, thank you for sharing a lot of knowledge with us here. Today I collected my spec, but later on realised that the coating seems to be imbalanced on one side of the lens. The imbalance coating that I mentioned is not so clear in the image attached but you see the stripes. Under different lighting, the stripes are more obvious. As it is a newly collected spec, I expect coating on both side to be of same quality, could it be a defect or it is normal? Thank you very much! >> imgur.com/a/2wZPvIq (unable to post pic due to unmet post counts)

Last edited:

loackerc

Reaction score
do you guys examine the frame when you guys collect your spectacles?

collected my spectacles but only saw that there are some scratches on the frame after i reach home. zzz. should i still go back to the shop?

I had the same problem too! quite unhappy with it:(

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
@GANGSTERKIA, thank you for sharing a lot of knowledge with us here. Today I collected my spec, but later on realised that the coating seems to be imbalanced on one side of the lens. The imbalance coating that I mentioned is not so clear in the image attached but you see the stripes. Under different lighting, the stripes are more obvious. As it is a newly collected spec, I expect coating on both side to be of same quality, could it be a defect or it is normal? Thank you very much! >> imgur.com/a/2wZPvIq (unable to post pic due to unmet post counts)

Are the power for both sides similar? If power is different, sometimes you might see such occurrence happening due to a thicker lens causing more of such effects. But your degree doesnt seem too high. You mind showing the other side too?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem too! quite unhappy with it:(

U are always entitled to go back and change it as its your right to. But if you planning to go back, just let them know about the issue and they(shop) will check it out for you. But in a nice way too! They will surely find some way to replace a new piece for you probably!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
do you guys examine the frame when you guys collect your spectacles?

collected my spectacles but only saw that there are some scratches on the frame after i reach home. zzz. should i still go back to the shop?

Hahaha if it really bothers you then yes you should, and fast too. You bought your product there, so if they practice basic service, they should help you with it.

But that aside, an e.g. if you have the frame for 1-2 years, please dont go and say things like why i buy so fast then spoil/scratch/break(i encountered before).

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Placed an order for Lindberg Buffalo Titanium. Heart damn pain but really just can’t get myself to take the other Lindberg as the shape and colour just don’t look as good as horn. How much u all pay for the Zeiss digital Lens 1.67? Want to gauge got tio chop or not because bargain too much for the Lindberg Horn scared they markup for the lens

How much did u pay for it overall? Is there a breakdown?

loackerc

Reaction score
Are the power for both sides similar? If power is different, sometimes you might see such occurrence happening due to a thicker lens causing more of such effects. But your degree doesnt seem too high. You mind showing the other side too?

Not similar but I don’t know if my degree is considered high compared to other forumers here. The lens with stripes was SPH -25 CYL -275. The other side looks like a firm and balanced coating, no stripes, lighting isn’t good to show now, will post one later. Is the lens considered a coating defect btw?

DiamondMine

Reaction score
Hi everybody, got a few questions because I’m glasses noob hope someone can help out :D

I only recently started wearing glasses on and off since March(turns out I’m hyperopic but never noticed lol) but saw some nice and cheap frame from zoff so just hoot first lol. So my questions are

1. Should I make the lenses at zoff or go to my regular optometrist? Will the quality differ much? Price is not really an issue to me but I can bring the pair to zoff in Japan so I’m guessing it would be much cheaper to go with zoff but I’m open to anything.

2. If I’m hyperopic and not myopic will high-index lenses make that much of a difference ? I think my current pair is 1.6 or even lower and it doesn’t feel too thick so I’m not too sure it’s worth the upgrade ? Can’t remember my exact degree but I think it was +3.25 and +1.5 or something but apparently the degree on the glasses are a lil lower for me to adjust (was explained to me but optometrist jargons so I forgot) anyhow I can see clearly with and even without glasses (apparently just helps me focus and reduce strain?) so I guess it’s fine .

Some googling also lead me to believe high index might be heavier(?!?!) because they are denser? Also the frames are half rimmed and already on the sliiiiightly thicker side if that would matter

3. Are PC lenses actually effective or just placebo? Also I’ve seen zoff advertised their pc lenses as clear but some bros here with pc lenses have tint(?) what’s the difference ?

Thanks in advance to the specs pros around here haha

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much did u pay for it overall? Is there a breakdown?

i bought close to 2.2k sgd with zeiss digital lens 1.67 with blueprotect. btw, where to buy the lindberg wax to polish the horn? didn't see them selling the wax.

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahaha if it really bothers you then yes you should, and fast too. You bought your product there, so if they practice basic service, they should help you with it.

But that aside, an e.g. if you have the frame for 1-2 years, please dont go and say things like why i buy so fast then spoil/scratch/break(i encountered before).

quite a bit affected ba. cause first time pay so much. and my frame is hamamoto one.

i whatsapped them they say they will contact the supplier see got stock not lol.

if have they should be able to just push the lenses out from my glasses and replace on the spot?

loackerc

Reaction score

Based on my zeiss authentication card, they are
R01 -150(SPH) -100(CYL) 165(AXIS)
L01 -25(SPH) -275(CYL) 175(AXIS)
ZEISS Single Vision 1.5
ZEISS finished SV AS 1.56 DuraVision BlueProtect
DuraVision BlueProtect

Comparison of both sides
>> imgur.com/a/uMoB2iq

Left side lens which shows the stripes
>> imgur.com/a/3XkrTFy

You must be really experienced to tell that my degree isn't too high just by looking at the pic I uploaded previously. Please help :( Thanks thanks.

dannyphone

Reaction score
Hi Index lens

Some question.

my deg as below

-14.75 -2.00 160
-14.00 -2.50 162

Which type of hi index glasses should i choose? 1.6 1.7 1.8 19 any differences?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, got a few questions because I’m glasses noob hope someone can help out :D

I only recently started wearing glasses on and off since March(turns out I’m hyperopic but never noticed lol) but saw some nice and cheap frame from zoff so just hoot first lol. So my questions are

1. Should I make the lenses at zoff or go to my regular optometrist? Will the quality differ much? Price is not really an issue to me but I can bring the pair to zoff in Japan so I’m guessing it would be much cheaper to go with zoff but I’m open to anything.

2. If I’m hyperopic and not myopic will high-index lenses make that much of a difference ? I think my current pair is 1.6 or even lower and it doesn’t feel too thick so I’m not too sure it’s worth the upgrade ? Can’t remember my exact degree but I think it was +3.25 and +1.5 or something but apparently the degree on the glasses are a lil lower for me to adjust (was explained to me but optometrist jargons so I forgot) anyhow I can see clearly with and even without glasses (apparently just helps me focus and reduce strain?) so I guess it’s fine .

Some googling also lead me to believe high index might be heavier(?!?!) because they are denser? Also the frames are half rimmed and already on the sliiiiightly thicker side if that would matter

3. Are PC lenses actually effective or just placebo? Also I’ve seen zoff advertised their pc lenses as clear but some bros here with pc lenses have tint(?) what’s the difference ?

Will give u a reply tonight!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
i bought close to 2.2k sgd with zeiss digital lens 1.67 with blueprotect. btw, where to buy the lindberg wax to polish the horn? didn't see them selling the wax.

I think you got a really good price. horn usually 2.2-2.4. Lens 1.67 cost 500. Think you scored a great deal!

Lindberg waxing is done by the shop itself. So you cant buy it, have to bring back to the shop to do the polishing.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
quite a bit affected ba. cause first time pay so much. and my frame is hamamoto one.

i whatsapped them they say they will contact the supplier see got stock not lol.

if have they should be able to just push the lenses out from my glasses and replace on the spot?

Yes sir, on the spot change!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Based on my zeiss authentication card, they are
R01 -150(SPH) -100(CYL) 165(AXIS)
L01 -25(SPH) -275(CYL) 175(AXIS)
ZEISS Single Vision 1.5
ZEISS finished SV AS 1.56 DuraVision BlueProtect
DuraVision BlueProtect

Comparison of both sides
>> imgur.com/a/uMoB2iq

Left side lens which shows the stripes
>> imgur.com/a/3XkrTFy

You must be really experienced to tell that my degree isn't too high just by looking at the pic I uploaded previously. Please help :( Thanks thanks.

Will reply you tonight too!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Some question.

my deg as below

-14.75 -2.00 160
-14.00 -2.50 162

Which type of hi index glasses should i choose? 1.6 1.7 1.8 19 any differences?

Different indexes will affect the thickness of the lenses. 1.8/1.9 is glasses, they will be thinner for sure but heavier. Clarity of glass lens is better than plastic, but factor in the weight and care involved when using glass lenses.

Also take note of the size of the frame when you choosing, such high degree, usually the wider/bigger frame you choose, the weight is going to be heavier and the lens thicker. It will also have a diminishing effect whereby your eyes look minified.

I suggest choosing a smaller frame (as much as possible unless you have a broad face). Then if possible 1.9index if you want it thin or else for plastic 1.74 will do fine.
TBH, IMHO, at such high power, i compared a 1.8 glass against 1.74 plastic, not much difference apart from plastic being lighter but costing more.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

1)Regular Optometrist should be better as he/she is your regular, the trust is there, quality of lens is different(better) if you choose the better one.
Ultimately its your choice if you still want support your RO or try something new..

2)When hyperopic, lenses are thicker at the center vice versa for Myopic where the sides are thicker. Reason why 1.6 is adviced could be either you wearing Half frames or frameless. High index is denser and more compact thus more impact resistant not really heavier...

3)PC lenses are effectively imho ESP when you using alot of computer. It does helps reduce the glare but some individuals do not like it as they feel it distorts their vision. Thus there are other lenses in the market that have the same function(absorbing) the Blue light but does not give off that reflection and yellow hue. You can ask about Shamir Blue zero.

dannyphone

Reaction score
Different indexes will affect the thickness of the lenses. 1.8/1.9 is glasses, they will be thinner for sure but heavier. Clarity of glass lens is better than plastic, but factor in the weight and care involved when using glass lenses.

Also take note of the size of the frame when you choosing, such high degree, usually the wider/bigger frame you choose, the weight is going to be heavier and the lens thicker. It will also have a diminishing effect whereby your eyes look minified.

I suggest choosing a smaller frame (as much as possible unless you have a broad face). Then if possible 1.9index if you want it thin or else for plastic 1.74 will do fine.
TBH, IMHO, at such high power, i compared a 1.8 glass against 1.74 plastic, not much difference apart from plastic being lighter but costing more.

Thank you very much for the info.

My specs all are glasses type and my frame are usually those small rectangular type.

will ask for 1.74 index in my next purchase hehe

feralslash

Reaction score
I've been using Essilor (crizal) lenses for PC for 5 years now. And i only just realised they are yellow tinted. Haha. I got it at that time because i got frequent headaches and eye strain from working on my laptop all the time. I guess it works because after that i seldom get eye strain (unless i really work for a looong time on the laptop).
Anyone can recommend a shop where the staff knows how to recommend frames that suit my face shape? I'm having trouble find a suitable frame. Would appreciate if the staff can give their professional, genuine and experienced comment while i try on the different frames.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.