HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #3196
Master Member

Haha bro! Congrats(or maybe not) on reaching the milestone already. Generally by right once you hit 40 can already feel the effects of presbyopia.
It usually works this way, age 35-40 (+50 reading power),40-50(+1.00 to +1.75) 50-60(+2.00 to +2.75).
However it varies for different individuals as our working habits And near reading lifestyles will affect how much reading power we need. If we use more computer(intermediate distance) then we require lesser reading power.
E.g. Some surgeons when doing near work reading requires a +2.00 reading power but when performing operations as he is standing but requires to work at an intermediate distance, thus maybe +1.50 or +1.25 degree is needed.
The further our work is, the lesser reading power we need and vice versa, the nearer it is, the more reading power we need. Hope this helps, I might have left out some points..
feel free to ask more!

44 this year.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
GANGSTERKIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #3197
Master Member

I think generally as Long as you ask to see the price list and if discount is given, shouldn't be an issue.. surely there will be some shops that can offer better prices but like what a user mentioned here before. Sometimes it's the feeling of being comfortable with the optom/optician serving you that gives you the trust and provides you with the service that justifies the price you are paying. Some places might charge cheaper but in terms of aftercare services and all.. maybe totally bo-chup..
Feel free to ask any other questions. Hope this helps😅

thx 4 the clarification. I did pay up with no question asked. just hope to find a reliable shop to get my glasses made. so at tat price is it reasonable? from the price list shown lens was progressive plus i think 690, +200 transition, blue something coat offset worth 50, and frame saw price tag 200+ total 1050.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #3198

I think generally as Long as you ask to see the price list and if discount is given, shouldn't be an issue.. surely there will be some shops that can offer better prices but like what a user mentioned here before. Sometimes it's the feeling of being comfortable with the optom/optician serving you that gives you the trust and provides you with the service that justifies the price you are paying. Some places might charge cheaper but in terms of aftercare services and all.. maybe totally bo-chup..
Feel free to ask any other questions. Hope this helps😅
think look for you easier or you have any recommendation?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
sotaikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #3199
Supremacy Member

bro guru, So do pen press-ups can focus back the eyes to eliminate wearing spectacles

last time i suddenly astigmatism then the expert over corrected my lens then later no need glasses and i came to know pen press-ups but i hardly did the routine, thanks

~Dragonite~ likes this.
joesph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #3200
Master Member

Haha bro! Congrats(or maybe not) on reaching the milestone already. Generally by right once you hit 40 can already feel the effects of presbyopia.
It usually works this way, age 35-40 (+50 reading power),40-50(+1.00 to +1.75) 50-60(+2.00 to +2.75).
However it varies for different individuals as our working habits And near reading lifestyles will affect how much reading power we need. If we use more computer(intermediate distance) then we require lesser reading power.
E.g. Some surgeons when doing near work reading requires a +2.00 reading power but when performing operations as he is standing but requires to work at an intermediate distance, thus maybe +1.50 or +1.25 degree is needed.
The further our work is, the lesser reading power we need and vice versa, the nearer it is, the more reading power we need. Hope this helps, I might have left out some points..
feel free to ask more!
Thank you for your detailed comments!!
May I ask if progressive lens will help on this problem?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
HWZ1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #3201
Master Member

bro guru, So do pen press-ups can focus back the eyes to eliminate wearing spectacles

last time i suddenly astigmatism then the expert over corrected my lens then later no need glasses and i came to know pen press-ups but i hardly did the routine, thanks
By right pencil push up test is being recommended to help correct muscle issue/strengthen muscle in your eye. Reducing eye strains in the long run(correct me if i am wrong, i'm not too familiarized with binocular Vision)
But in terms of degree, generally Pen push ups does not really affect it. However how effective this method is, it is really debatable.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #3202
Master Member

Thank you for your detailed comments!!
May I ask if progressive lens will help on this problem?
Ah yes, I highly believe that progressive lenses will help you with this issue.
The way a progressive works is that the top area generally is for your distance, The middle area(a small area) is for intermediate viewing e.g. computer monitor screens and finally the bottom segment is meant for near reading. In your case the reason why the reading is blurred like i mentioned earlier is due to the Presence of Presbyopia. Thus progressive lenses has addition(add) power at the reading segment to actually aid you in the near work.
How it actually works is E.g. the top segment(distance power is -1.50) , the power gradually decreases down the lens e.g. top -1.50 middle -1.00 bottom -0.50 thus all these lowered power is actually the addition power for you to do your near reading work. Because near reading powered is term as e.g. +1.00 +1.50 (addition) thus from a -1.50 to a -0.50 there is a difference of +1.00. Thus your reading power is +1.00.
There are also alot more about progressives such as the peripheral distortions, the different Corridors Long/short and more..
Hope i did not further complicate the explaination. haha
(correct me if i am wrong fellow optoms/opticians)
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #3203
Master Member

Ah yes, I highly believe that progressive lenses will help you with this issue.
The way a progressive works is that the top area generally is for your distance, The middle area(a small area) is for intermediate viewing e.g. computer monitor screens and finally the bottom segment is meant for near reading. In your case the reason why the reading is blurred like i mentioned earlier is due to the Presence of Presbyopia. Thus progressive lenses has addition(add) power at the reading segment to actually aid you in the near work.
How it actually works is E.g. the top segment(distance power is -1.50) , the power gradually decreases down the lens e.g. top -1.50 middle -1.00 bottom -0.50 thus all these lowered power is actually the addition power for you to do your near reading work. Because near reading powered is term as e.g. +1.00 +1.50 (addition) thus from a -1.50 to a -0.50 there is a difference of +1.00. Thus your reading power is +1.00.
There are also alot more about progressives such as the peripheral distortions, the different Corridors Long/short and more..
Hope i did not further complicate the explaination. haha
(correct me if i am wrong fellow optoms/opticians)
Wah your answer so detailed!
Thanks a lot for your time.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
HWZ1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #3204

Optical Shop

Thinking of making a reading glassess "Crizal" at JB City Square.
Any good advise on shop to share. thanks
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Albertphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #3205

Anyone knows the owndays make this degree with progressive roughly how much? With 1.67 index no extra 100 right?

R-750-050-5
L-750-100-135
~Dragonite~ likes this.
rerear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #3206
Supremacy Member

Thinking of making a reading glassess "Crizal" at JB City Square.
Any good advise on shop to share. thanks
if city square, make in sg better. city sq all spects shop sibeh exp.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
razorlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #3207
Supremacy Member

if problem, return back to jb again?

~Dragonite~ likes this.
joesph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #3208
Master Member

Anyone still going kwong shin nowadays?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #3209

if city square, make in sg better. city sq all spects shop sibeh exp.
noted with thanks.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Albertphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #3210
Supremacy Member

Any idea which lens is less straining or can protect the eyes if facing computer screen frequently?

My astigmatism is quite high, if that needed to be taken into consideration.

Sorry for noob question, know nuts about lens.

~Dragonite~ likes this.
rollanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.