HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #3736

Most basic Zeiss from the chiobu opposite macdonald at city square is rm 485
I found local optician Crizal prevencia @119sgd and Hoya hilux @154sgd would they be a better bargain?

Actually what’s the difference between hoya hilux nulux stellify etc? The same optician is offering Hoya stellfiy at 84 but it’s Hoya’s most basic lens right?
jonathanljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #3737
Arch-Supremacy Member

I paid $800 with frame for this lens.

Rrp is 1170! Discount wise depends on which shop you go. This lens already considered good In terms of viewing area and all. Now essilor has a new design which is called X-design, their TOP tier lens progressive, successor of their S-design.
TUV2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #3738
Master Member

I paid $800 with frame for this lens.
lol...thats a good price to get it with man....i dont think i see wrongly but if not, you zhuan dao alr!
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #3739
Master Member

At 40+ I just got my first pair of glasses after noticing double vision at all distances. Went to a Spectacle Hut and got a prescription as follows:

R: -0.25 -1.25x90
L: -0.25 -0.75x100
pd 62
add +1.00

So the astig is the main problem, I think.

I've picked up my glasses and it's amazing how much clearer everything is. However, I still have slight double vision especially at shorter distances, e.g. PC screen laptop use, and handphone, so I guess reading distance out to about 1m.

I'd like to see a good, optometrist who will take the time to really make sure my prescription is correct.

Any recomendations in central/North? Anywhere along NS Line is OK, preferably from Bishan up to Woodlands sort of area.
Seems like your reading power not enough, usually if not enough, either words become fuzzy or double vision.. see if it becomes better if u push your frame further from your face or else bring the object of viewing further. If it does become clearer then high likely is your reading power need to increase.
Old 23-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #3740
Master Member

Want to ask the spectacles expert here. Went for eye check and got a glasses prescription from optical shop.

L -6.5
R -11.5

My question is should I ask the optician to reduce the R to -9.0 or higher or lower for more comfort level and less giddyness or should I stick with the L -6.5 and R -11.5 for my new eye glasses?

Because there is a big difference in eye degree of 500 between my 2 eyes so if I make the spectacles at L -6.5 and R -11.5 it could be a bit giddyness due to the large difference in degree between my 2 eyes. I think this could be due to my lazy eyes condition.
You are right to a certain extent regarding the big difference. It would cause some issues with your depth perception. Thus the best option which probably been offered to you before is to lower the power in order for it to be more comfortable. But how much, depends on how your optometrist/optician tests for you. You might have to try a different range of power e.g. -1000, -1050,-950,-975 and see which will give u the best vision and of course not to compromise on the comfort. You can always suggest to them but in the end they will most likely give u the better choice!
Old 23-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #3741
Arch-Supremacy Member

Lol , I thought I kena chop carrot, I thought can get cheaper elsewhere like from Japan ?

I am looking to make another same pair with my existing frame.

lol...thats a good price to get it with man....i dont think i see wrongly but if not, you zhuan dao alr!
TUV2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #3742
High Supremacy Member

Didn't know 800 to 1 k for a set of progressive lenses are good price.. Perhaps they are made from diamond I assume?
GANGSTERKIA likes this.
Nakedtoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #3743
Master Member

Didn't know 800 to 1 k for a set of progressive lenses are good price.. Perhaps they are made from diamond I assume?

maybe...... Apologies for the WOT and take some time to read it. Will try to clarify more about costs of progressive lenses.

Progressive lenses has different tier and thus each tier surpass the other in terms of the clarity and reading area zone, thus the increase in the price. Apart from that, the thickness of the lenses e.g. index also plays a part in the cost of the lens. You might find that 800-1k for a piece of lens is expensive. But to others that need to have that sort of comfort and clarity, they will pay for it as they experience the feeling of seeing more comfortably.

Also its not like others have a choice of choosing a cheaper lens alternative due to
1) the frame they choose, frameless, Rimlon(half-frame). These frames require the lenses to be of higher index which are more impact resistance or else they will chip/break easier.(dont ask me if thats the case why would they choose those frames :X)
2)If their degree is high then they have no choice but to choose a thinner lens to reduce the weight of the glasses and of course aesthetically-wise.

Glasses are tools to help you to see better, W/O them , lao hua/presbyopia and all will be an issue.
Then why not get just a reading glasses? you might ask,
Because Convenience, If you have to constantly switch between distance and reading glasses it will take a toll on your eyes with the different focus constantly.

You can always compare a pair of lenses from those Quick and Easy retail outlet and then compare it to a pair of lenses with a higher grade e.g. essilor,hoya,zeiss,shamir(brands that i constantly mention) and you will see the difference.

All these justifies the price for Glasses and their price.

You buy diamond for show (unless you mean tools that are like diamond edge to cut etc etc), while others buy glasses to fit their needs and see clearer. Weight the benefits. Glasses is a Need not a Want, we are forced to use it and so we want it to be comfortable and thus are willing to pay for it.

Apologies once again for the WOT. Need to let you guys know why are progressives so expensive and why 800 that he paid for it is what i felt was a good price.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 23-01-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 24-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #3744

Anyone knows where i can get slim metal half rim glasses with magnetic clip ons?

preferably from a shop so i can have a look at the physical item before purchase.

thanks!
meqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #3745
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any brands of frames to recommend? Currently looking at dita and staffan preutz design.
noobzpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #3746

Any brands of frames to recommend? Currently looking at dita and staffan preutz design.
Police

11 char
Old 25-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #3747

You can always compare a pair of lenses from those Quick and Easy retail outlet and then compare it to a pair of lenses with a higher grade e.g. essilor,hoya,zeiss,shamir(brands that i constantly mention) and you will see the difference.

All these justifies the price for Glasses and their price.
wow din know shamir so up there one

thought cui brand cos no wiki page
Old 25-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #3748
Master Member

Eh no! They are actually pretty good. Many places also sell them. Just that not much advertisement only that's all. They are pretty premium but also have more Budget lenses

wow din know shamir so up there one

thought cui brand cos no wiki page
Old 25-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #3749
Master Member

Well apart from SP, maybe ethereal, mykita, icber, Lindberg, Porsche. There's too many, main thing is what material you looking for? Light/heavy, big/small/wide/narrow?
Any rough gauge?

Old 25-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #3750
Master Member

Japan brands u dont like?
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.