The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

happyko

Reaction score
:s13::s13::s13:
of course! just pop by the shops with your children and ask them which one they prefer! nothing better than having your children there to decide with you :s12:

Lol..then don't wan lah.. scared later they ask me to wear pink or wear one like Elton John.
I feel better in the hands of a professional eye wear (beauty) consultant than my own children :s13:

fabfizz

Reaction score
Oh i see, then you can consider using the frame. One more concern is the condition of the frame. If it's an old model frame, servicing might be an issue and if any parts of the frame might fall off.

If all is good then that's perfect. If not you might want to use a newer frame so avoid breaking the frame and wasting the lenses.

Thanks!

How much do you think the lens will cost? I can choose a new frame if it's not soo expensive.

Nitron

Reaction score
Thank you, would you know which shop in Singapore sells Swiss flex for a good price? Idm going for your shop as well.

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Lol..then don't wan lah.. scared later they ask me to wear pink or wear one like Elton John.
I feel better in the hands of a professional eye wear (beauty) consultant than my own children :s13:
Need to change wardrobe too, it's a whole package and look haha

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, would you know which shop in Singapore sells Swiss flex for a good price? Idm going for your shop as well.
Worn Swissflex for a couple of years before. Dun really like the lack of grip on the head, too light, doesn't sit well on face.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

bring them in have a look also la... take their comments with a pinch of salt haha

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Worn Swissflex for a couple of years before. Dun really like the lack of grip on the head, too light, doesn't sit well on face.

ok la my experience with them is most people are happy with it.
less popular compared to last time but if people want lightweight frames - good choice

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

You can consider going to Mr Eyewear At west mall bukit batok. They have a nice range of swissflex and reasonable pricing!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

How much do you think the lens will cost? I can choose a new frame if it's not soo expensive.

Ah, it depends on what type/tier of lenses you will be choosing.

A basic pair starts from about 300, Above average about 450 and a premium/more comfortable one at at around 700-800.
There are even cheaper ones but i tend not to use/recommend them as i know for certain based on experience, there is a difference in terms of clarity,comfort and field of view(peripheral distortion).

There are many lenses brands in the market, certain shops carry and certain doesn't, Thus prices can vary. There will always be individuals claiming dragon and phoenix thus it's up to you to decide who to listen to and follow. Remember to do your research well! Best is always to go back to your trusted optician/optometrist or the ones that makes you feel comfortable

My usual advice to the patients/customers is to find something that is ''comfortable'' thus they can consider it an investment for the next few years.

Cheers!

Last edited:

fabfizz

Reaction score

A basic pair starts from about 300, Above average about 450 and a premium/more comfortable one at at around 700-800.
There are even cheaper ones but i tend not to use/recommend them as i know for certain based on experience, there is a difference in terms of clarity,comfort and field of view(peripheral distortion).

There are many lenses brands in the market, certain shops carry and certain doesn't, Thus prices can vary. There will always be individuals claiming dragon and phoenix thus it's up to you to decide who to listen to and follow. Remember to do your research well! Best is always to go back to your trusted optician/optometrist or the ones that makes you feel comfortable

My usual advice to the patients/customers is to find something that is ''comfortable'' thus they can consider it an investment for the next few years.

Cheers!

Thanks for your advice. Mind pm-ing me your location and I see if I can pop by for a consultation?

Reaction score

Cheers!

Yup. Best if the shop also provides Money-Back-Guarantee on the pair of progressive lenses, so you can buy with ease of mind :)

Ionized1975

Reaction score
A year ago, I went to Owndays and got my first pair of progressive glasses. I am very disappointed that the lenses are poorly made because the reading area is too low for my comfort. I have to lift the glasses so that my eyes are almost looking at the bottom of the frame to actually read properly.

To make matters worse, the frame keeps sliding down my nose since I have a very narrow and low nose bridge. This made the glasses practically impossible to use for reading.

I saw in previous posts that Owndays progressive lenses are of low tier. Even so, they cost me almost $300 with all the extra addon options excluding the frame.

If I were to go for better tier lenses than Owndays', am I correct to say that they will start from $450 onwards? Are there any recommended or popular brands for the "above average" and "premium" progressive lenses?

Thank you.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
A year ago, I went to Owndays and got my first pair of progressive glasses. I am very disappointed that the lenses are poorly made because the reading area is too low for my comfort. I have to lift the glasses so that my eyes are almost looking at the bottom of the frame to actually read properly.

To make matters worse, the frame keeps sliding down my nose since I have a very narrow and low nose bridge. This made the glasses practically impossible to use for reading.

I saw in previous posts that Owndays progressive lenses are of low tier. Even so, they cost me almost $300 with all the extra addon options excluding the frame.

If I were to go for better tier lenses than Owndays', am I correct to say that they will start from $450 onwards? Are there any recommended or popular brands for the "above average" and "premium" progressive lenses?

Thank you.

Good Morning!

Depending on your prescription, based on a normal 1.5 index(thickness), a basic pair of lens would cost you from 300onwards, but if reading zone is impt for you then yes, 450 onwards would be more significant. Above average lenses you will be looking at e.g. Zeiss Asiana Progressive series, Hoya Lifestyle V+, Essilor Physio 3.0 series.

Premium tier would be Zeiss Superb(2nd best), Individual 2(best), Hoya Mystyle profile(second best), Mystyle(best)
And essilor X-series(X-design-->X-Track--->Xclusive).
Price range would be from 600 onwards.

Unfortunately, this is what i have been stressing on for awhile here whereby Yes, we can get a progressive(other brands) for a X(cheaper) price, however the quality that comes along with it does make a difference. Once again, there are many shops out there who can sell you cheaper progressives , however based on my experience, i always say, (you pay for what you get) the price is expensive i admit BUT think of it as an investment for the next 2-3 years. The comfort you will get when wearing a better lens will be worth it.

Cheers and hope this helps!

Reaction score

Thank you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Owndays only has low tier progressive lenses.

A pair of 1.50 index progressive lens with basic design starts from $180.
These lenses are customisable to suit your lifestyle & requirement (E.g. more distance / more reading or balanced)

Depending on your needs , you can also choose to top up & have Add-ons like:
  • Thinner lenses
  • Wider Angle lenses
  • Colour changing lenses (E.g. Transitions, Photochromic)
  • HEV Light (Blue) Filter (E.g. Asahi-Lite UV3G, Tokai Lutina)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that.
Hope more people learn from your experience.
Not saying that all will think the same way as you, but generally i heard many same complaints. Hope your next pair will serve you better.

Asylumescapee

Reaction score
@gangsterkia, need advice.. looking for Zeiss lens to reduce digital eye strain, read about BlueProtect and Digital Lens, which would you recommend?

also can share price? i saw some posts 1.67 Zeiss BP @$325?

i cannot whatsapp u, can PM me number?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Blue protect is an add-on coating on the lenses that you order.
Digital lens is a lens design that as you mentioned, to reduce digital eye strain. The coating for digital lens comes together with blue protect and for certain individuals, they will opt out of blue protect for personal reasons.
Depending on whether your eyes are affected/strained when using the computer, it will determine if you need the lens design or not.

325 for 1.67 BP is the lister RRP, thus the discount given to you will probably be based on what the shop will offer you. I personally would recommend digital lens especially to early presbyopes or early adults e.g, 30 onwards..

Any qns you can either ask on the thread here so others can help you too or if not, then pm!

Hope this helps!

@gangsterkia, need advice.. looking for Zeiss lens to reduce digital eye strain, read about BlueProtect and Digital Lens, which would you recommend?

also can share price? i saw some posts 1.67 Zeiss BP @$325?

i cannot whatsapp u, can PM me number?

JadziaK

Reaction score
Hi,
Blue protect is an add-on coating on the lenses that you order.
Digital lens is a lens design that as you mentioned, to reduce digital eye strain. The coating for digital lens comes together with blue protect and for certain individuals, they will opt out of blue protect for personal reasons.
Depending on whether your eyes are affected/strained when using the computer, it will determine if you need the lens design or not.

325 for 1.67 BP is the lister RRP, thus the discount given to you will probably be based on what the shop will offer you. I personally would recommend digital lens especially to early presbyopes or early adults e.g, 30 onwards..

Any qns you can either ask on the thread here so others can help you too or if not, then pm!

Hope this helps!
Hi bro! I've high myopia (more than 1200 degrees on esch eye). Presbyopia is 150 degrees the last check. Any recommendations for progressive lens with 1.74 thickness? I'm wearing zeiss digital lens @1.74 now. I find the zeiss coating scratches more easily than the Tokai lens i previously got from Paris Miki. The tokai lens still looks quite pristine after 3 years while the zeiss starts showing scratches after only 1 yr.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bro! I've high myopia (more than 1200 degrees on esch eye). Presbyopia is 150 degrees the last check. Any recommendations for progressive lens with 1.74 thickness? I'm wearing zeiss digital lens @1.74 now. I find the zeiss coating scratches more easily than the Tokai lens i previously got from Paris Miki. The tokai lens still looks quite pristine after 3 years while the zeiss starts showing scratches after only 1 yr.

Can try Hoya/Nikon higher end since you have worn zeiss as well.
if not, stick back to tokai since it lasted you so long...
the comfort for both about the same?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.