The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Shahmatt

Reaction score
I am looking for some frames only. Want something good value and don't care about brand. Should I buy online or from shops? Any recommendations on places to buy?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some frames only. Want something good value and don't care about brand. Should I buy online or from shops? Any recommendations on places to buy?

Online many..
but buy online, no warranty, cant adjust...

even though its good value, but may not actually be worth the cost savings.
you get from a shop, they are bound to service/adjust for you...

sure, you can bring it to any shop. but imagine if i bring food home cooked food to a cafe sit down and eat... same logic... :s39:

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi experts out there, recently I saw few postings in Carousell selling Lindberg frames for eg Model 9707 at $280, 9711 at $280 and others. Are they genuine? Thanks in advance.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/🚚-lindbe...ype_suggest&ref_suggestionSource=type_suggest

sometimes, if the deal is too good to be through... it might just be...
personally, i think they are not. the prices is too low for it to be genuine... but nothing wrong with buying unauthentic goods... i just despise those who know it is unauthentic but state it is authentic. Just distasteful..

nethdale

Reaction score
sometimes, if the deal is too good to be through... it might just be...
personally, i think they are not. the prices is too low for it to be genuine... but nothing wrong with buying unauthentic goods... i just despise those who know it is unauthentic but state it is authentic. Just distasteful..

Hi, thanks for the reply and I feel too that the price is way too low as far as a consumer is concerned. Haa

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Online many..

sure, you can bring it to any shop. but imagine if i bring food home cooked food to a cafe sit down and eat... same logic... :s39:

Adjust spectacles is very easy.. I done that for my wife also. Buy online most important thing is check the dimension of the frames.. If it is close to the one u wearing it is good to go. If u scare go any optical shop to try out the frames before u buy online. On adjusting plastic frame u only need a hair dryer.. For metal frame u need pliers.. Sleeve the claws with rubber tubes

Reaction score
Oh. So meaning will be even thinner than 1.74 index lenses of the same degrees?

If your degree is pretty high and wants even thinner lenses, look out for lenticular-cut lenses. Not many shops have though, gotta ask around.

Lenticular-cut will make your lenses ~30% thinner, even if using the same index (E.g. 1.74 index)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Adjust spectacles is very easy.. I done that for my wife also. Buy online most important thing is check the dimension of the frames.. If it is close to the one u wearing it is good to go. If u scare go any optical shop to try out the frames before u buy online. On adjusting plastic frame u only need a hair dryer.. For metal frame u need pliers.. Sleeve the claws with rubber tubes

Good for you if you can adjust yourself.. However, there are many more sensitive people and harder to adjust frames/face shapes so it might not be that straight forward all the time...
Even though i am trained, i would not dare say adjusting specs is easy...

for you it may work, checking the dimensions etc - also, good for you.. but fitting is also very important especially so for those people with custom made lenses - e.g progressives/computer lenses.
if you are wearing a single vision lenses which i assume you are, of course everything is smooth. things will be very different when a progressive lens come into play...

i admire the fact that you make things sound so easy but in actual fact, all of us in the trade wish adjusting specs were that easy... :s13:

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Online many..

Thanks for your reply. I understand the risks but I want to try and see.

My size is 51,19,145 and 30 measured myself.

Problem is searching by size. Normal website like Lazada, Quo10 have to click first to see.

Seems like there are a few American websites where i can search by size, but any recommendation for local places?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
BTW, now a day, I see monitor too long than my eyes will be blur... So is what ah?

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don’t even dare to mention that frame adjustment and alignment is easy too!

Totally agree with you.

Perhaps he understand his own facial shape and own requirement upon fitting him. So it will be easy for him.

But for us, we fit many kind of headshape and it’s really tedious when the headshape are odd and patient’s requirement such as the frame temple has to align on the table when their ear levels is uneven.

Good for you if you can adjust yourself.. However, there are many more sensitive people and harder to adjust frames/face shapes so it might not be that straight forward all the time...
Even though i am trained, i would not dare say adjusting specs is easy...

for you it may work, checking the dimensions etc - also, good for you.. but fitting is also very important especially so for those people with custom made lenses - e.g progressives/computer lenses.
if you are wearing a single vision lenses which i assume you are, of course everything is smooth. things will be very different when a progressive lens come into play...

i admire the fact that you make things sound so easy but in actual fact, all of us in the trade wish adjusting specs were that easy... :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe there’s some level of laohua/presbyopia setting in. Still it’s best to go get it check.

Anyway from the earlier post, even if you go those poly Optometry centres, there is no obligation to buy glasses there. Just a cheaper alternative to get your eye prescription and eye health checked at basic fee!

Mid 30, 8hour on PC. I work @ office.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.