The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Reaction score
Hi, as Long as there is a reduction of power or added [+]. There is bound to be distortion. However how it is being viewed is entire based on the sensitivity threshold of the patient wearing it. Just like how you add more + to a progressive. Soft/hard design lenses will have this effect too. Especially if it’s hard design lenses which eyezen is.
Even at such Low add I would say maybe 10% of individuals would feel it.

yup agree that a reduction in power will lead to some form of distortion, but there are lenses in the market that are able to hide the distortion so well that users can feel almost none of it. Just happens that the brand in question is not one of these. 🤭

Reaction score
bwBosCj.jpg

Pardon my drawing. But this is a brief representation between the difference of hard and soft design lenses. You can consult your optometrist/optician for more info too.
This designs applies to lenses which allows you to see far/near/intermediate e.g. zeiss digital lens, EnergizeMe, hoya sync, eyezen and more.

Well, it used to be that way(Soft/hard) for alot of years until the introduction of Camber lenses.

To simply put it, camber lenses works on the front surface curvature to negate distortion from the progressive design on the back. Resulting on a pair of progressive lens with minimal distortion.

You may read up more on http://camberlens.com/front_surface_innovation.aspx?langId=1

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
yup agree that a reduction in power will lead to some form of distortion, but there are lenses in the market that are able to hide the distortion so well that users can feel almost none of it. Just happens that the brand in question is not one of these. 🤭

Coming from myself and not in support of any brands in the market. I would say that even the best lenses in the market, will have their own share of satisfied and dissatisfied patients.

I understand there are places that supports certain brands which is totally normal but the population should be educated to know the limits of lenses can be done. Expectation have to be managed and we can't paint a perfect picture for them least it fails to live up to it.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Well, it used to be that way(Soft/hard) for alot of years until the introduction of Camber lenses.

To simply put it, camber lenses works on the front surface curvature to negate distortion from the progressive design on the back. Resulting on a pair of progressive lens with minimal distortion.

You may read up more on http://camberlens.com/front_surface_innovation.aspx?langId=1

*note* The "big boys" are not using this technology yet :s13:

I believe this is something new even to me!

''big boys'' May/may not need to come out with something like this as their progressives/digital/anti-fatigue are serving the population well though they might in future.

I will end my piece over here by reiterating my point to all the forumners here.

There are many lenses in the market, claiming to be better/best of all at different cost. But do your due research or if not ask your optometrist/optician that you trust, to recommend you a lens that fits your need and not something which is too overkill.
Sometimes there will be BOMbastic terms are thrown at you so as to impress you and we will be like... Errrr ok la since sounds so good then take and easily causing you splurge on more than you need. Do take note of such instances and always reject if you feel that it(the lens) is too overkill. A trusted Practitioner will always recommend you what is needed and not what is better for their sales pocket.
Also there will always be a certain magician performing some tricks, to show you some gimmicky tool but in the end, all road(or in this case all lens) leads to Rome. It does the job but again, does it fulfill your needs in your workplace/job.

After these few days, i hope to let you guys know, i am just a worker not a boss. Here to prevent others from getting chop carrot. Don't have to visit my workplace but i can always recommend you places that are closer to your area of convenience. I have absolutely no commission promoting or talking about any brands too.

Cheers and thanks Eyezone for sharing.

Last edited:

Taro Pie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, which lens are the most scratch resistant?

Is it hoya?

My zeiss duravision blueprotect only lasted 2 years
:(

Yes I admit is user problem as I'm very clumsy

Posted from PCWX using FCS, Asia No.1 Pro Trader (FCS是,大中华,香港,日本, 南韩投资行业的赫赫知名人物! )

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, which lens are the most scratch resistant?

Is it hoya?

My zeiss duravision blueprotect only lasted 2 years
:(

Yes I admit is user problem as I'm very clumsy

Posted from PCWX using FCS, Asia No.1 Pro Trader (FCS是,大中华,香港,日本, 南韩投资行业的赫赫知名人物! )

Hahaha, then unfortunately it’s the habit that has to be changed.
Even with hoya HVLL coating also can get scratched. But if given a choice, based on popularity vote, hoya wins.

Taro Pie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, then unfortunately it’s the habit that has to be changed.
Even with hoya HVLL coating also can get scratched. But if given a choice, based on popularity vote, hoya wins.

Thanks for the reply

For -5.5 both eyes should go for what index?

I've been using 1.67 all my life but I'm wondering if 1.6 is enough?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It depends on your frame size, bridge and your pupil distance. All this plays into account the size/weight/thickness of your lenses. Generally I recommend 1.67 but if you wish to use 1.6 it is alright just thicker/heavier lenses(for the more sensitive individuals).

Thanks for the reply

For -5.5 both eyes should go for what index?

I've been using 1.67 all my life but I'm wondering if 1.6 is enough?

Taro Pie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends on your frame size, bridge and your pupil distance. All this plays into account the size/weight/thickness of your lenses. Generally I recommend 1.67 but if you wish to use 1.6 it is alright just thicker/heavier lenses(for the more sensitive individuals).

Ok, I'll stick with 1.67 then

For blue light lens like Hoya blue control, does blue light get reflected on the back side of the lens into our eyes?

saw these posts abit worried

I come across a video showing blue protective lenses reflecting UV radiation into the eyeshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCiT...ature=youtu.be

A thread talking about ithttp://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...l=1#post510318

Seems like they are saying that lens coating on the side near the wearer will reflect UV into the eye. Now I am wondering if the blue protective lenses actually harms the eyes more.

I am no expert, I am just sharing that the video shows that the blue rays are reflected to the eye. 1.33min of the video shows a quick experiment that the inner lens side reflect blue rays that cause the dummy eye to have a burnt area where the blue rays are reflected. Video total did 3 experiment with same results showing dummy eye burnt.

I understand that the UV coating is on the outer lens and inner lens surface of prevencia lens, I guess maybe double side UV coating causes reflection on the inner side even though Prevencia coating is on the outer surface only.

Last edited:

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I’m looking to change my lens on my glasses. Any places to recommend? Kept reading that going to JB is cheaper.

What’s the price right now for Hoya transition + blue filter and just blue filter lens?

shenjingbing

Reaction score
I believe this is something new even to me!

''big boys'' May/may not need to come out with something like this as their progressives/digital/anti-fatigue are serving the population well though they might in future.

I will end my piece over here by reiterating my point to all the forumners here.

There are many lenses in the market, claiming to be better/best of all at different cost. But do your due research or if not ask your optometrist/optician that you trust, to recommend you a lens that fits your need and not something which is too overkill.
Sometimes there will be BOMbastic terms are thrown at you so as to impress you and we will be like... Errrr ok la since sounds so good then take and easily causing you splurge on more than you need. Do take note of such instances and always reject if you feel that it(the lens) is too overkill. A trusted Practitioner will always recommend you what is needed and not what is better for their sales pocket.
Also there will always be a certain magician performing some tricks, to show you some gimmicky tool but in the end, all road(or in this case all lens) leads to Rome. It does the job but again, does it fulfill your needs in your workplace/job.

After these few days, i hope to let you guys know, i am just a worker not a boss. Here to prevent others from getting chop carrot. Don't have to visit my workplace but i can always recommend you places that are closer to your area of convenience. I have absolutely no commission promoting or talking about any brands too.

Cheers and thanks Eyezone for sharing.

Thanks for doing what you are doing!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
What is your prescription like? Any rough idea?

Hi guys! I’m looking to change my lens on my glasses. Any places to recommend? Kept reading that going to JB is cheaper.

What’s the price right now for Hoya transition + blue filter and just blue filter lens?

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Go Q10 search for Eyecon optics. U can buy their normal lenses.. I been using it for 2 years and I like the coating and it still no scratches. U can top up for branded lenses too.. The price would still be much cheaper then outside shops. The price for normal lense is less then 20. That is u get their frames. If u bring own frame there is an edging fee. Think is $15.

Last edited:

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go Q10 search for Eyecon optics. U can buy their normal lenses.. I been using it for 2 years and I like the coating and it still no scratches. U can top up for branded lenses too.. The price would still be much cheaper then outside shops. The price for normal lense is less then 20. That is u get their frames. If u bring own frame there is an edging fee. Think is $15.

Hey thanks so much! Awesome recommendation cheers

ahger_2311

Reaction score
Anyone uses Zeiss energizeme digital lens? I got mine for less than 1 week and I noticed when I lift up my specs and see from bottom of lens, it’s clearer

But I remembered the bottom has a reduced sph of 65. So I’m surprised that I see things clearer when viewing from bottom of lens.

Anyone has any opinion or experience??

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Have you went back to double check with your practitioner for adjustments?
Lifting to see bottom of the lens at distance clearer? Or towards intermediate?

Anyone uses Zeiss energizeme digital lens? I got mine for less than 1 week and I noticed when I lift up my specs and see from bottom of lens, it’s clearer

But I remembered the bottom has a reduced sph of 65. So I’m surprised that I see things clearer when viewing from bottom of lens.

Anyone has any opinion or experience??

Taro Pie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought at Taeng not bad. Gave quite a bit of discount on lenses. Most lenses he offered.

I'm about to go there make lens too, his price quite good

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.