HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree486Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #4396
Master Member

anyone know of lobang to make mirror coating and transition prescription glasses?
Hi! i dont think its possible to do mirror coating/tinted lens with transition as the lens already has been tinted. So its either Mirror coat/Tinted or transition.

Which will you prefer?
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #4397

Hi! Adding on to what Eyezoneopticalsg explained, May i also know also what is your degree(estimate) is at the moment? Sometimes apart from the quality of lens, your degree will actually affect the thickness of your glasses and thus usually you be quoted with something that cost more e.g. high index lenses. Regarding the Essilor progressive lenses, the reason why a 1.6k lens is quoted for you probably is due to the you either being quoted the highest tier lenses for the X-Series lenses which is the X-Clusive or perhaps your degree require you to use the higher index lens paired with the other tiers of the X-Series

Were you quoted for Transition and Prevencia too?(blue light filter), one more thing to add on is that for the X-series, should your power be within range, you might consider even using their basic tier which is the X-design which starts at about 700, the X-design is comfortable enough gathering from feedback. But of course you can still go for the slightly cheaper lenses but ultimately, it depends on the level of comfort you ask for and your degree.

X-series comes with 3 tiers 1st-Xclusive(only certain shops have that), Xtrack-2nd and of course the X-Design(3rd).

Hope this helps!
Yes is probably my high myopia. Hmm..the shop recommended blue light filter and very high index...i didn't take note which series of Essilor - was already giddy by the high price...that's why i came home and search the forum hoping for some advice

What are the features of the 3 tiers X series? Thanks!
KeytoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #4398

I believe you're referring to the X series. I wouldn't say its not good, but for that kind of quality (Wide Angle + smooth progression), its not value for money at all.

An equivalent quality would cost less than half that price.
Would you recommend local / unbranded progressive lenses in the case of high myopia and pres-byopia? i have astig as well ....i.e. are local / unbranded lenses of good quality (Wide Angle + smooth progression) as you say?
Old 26-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #4399

Would you recommend local / unbranded progressive lenses in the case of high myopia and pres-byopia? i have astig as well ....i.e. are local / unbranded lenses of good quality (Wide Angle + smooth progression) as you say?
We would usually recommend progressives that have high quality, comfortable to wear & have very good value for money.

The progressive lenses we recommend are locally processed by Mvsion, using Japanese material(Tokai) + Spanish free form technology(IOT) or German Autotek.

Depending on your habits/lifestyle, these range of progressives can be customized according to your needs.

Last edited by EyezoneOpticalSG; 26-06-2018 at 12:25 PM..
EyezoneOpticalSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #4400

Hi guys, an Oliver people’s spec caught my eye and was thinking if any of you have recommendation to get the best price for a pair of OP glasses? Thanks!
Rgyl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #4401

Alright! Pmed! Thanks!
Hi gangsterkia, can you pm me your shop name as well? Thanks!
Rgyl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 01:48 AM   #4402
Master Member

Yes is probably my high myopia. Hmm..the shop recommended blue light filter and very high index...i didn't take note which series of Essilor - was already giddy by the high price...that's why i came home and search the forum hoping for some advice

What are the features of the 3 tiers X series? Thanks!
Blue filter/prevencia for essilor cost 100 more. High index probably caused the lens to cost even more.

You can consider using their average tier, Doesnt have to be essilor. E.g. Zeiss precision plus/Asiana, Hoya Dynamic Trueform, Essilor Physio 3.0. These lenses alr cost lesser but of course if your degree is high then no choice must use high index and thus adds on to the lens price.

X series comes in 3 tiers. 1st-Xclusive(certain shops have this as they need to have a special terminal to measure different aspects of you when you are wearing your frame of choice. E.g. how the frame wraps around your face, the tilt of the frame front and. Your Dominant eye, Your reading habit e.g. eye movement or head movement. These will generate a *special code* that will be sent to essilor/lens company and then will design the lens based on that.

2nd-XTrack, Similar to Xclusive excluding the dominant eye test segment.

3rd-Xdesign, The basic tier but still requires the frame sitting measurements.

Based on feedbacks like i mentioned, the lens has not much complaints so far. I'm not being biased to Essilor, So if you have any questions regarding other lens brand, just feel free to ask! Hoya has their High tier lenses e.g. MYstyle , ID PRIME.. Zeiss precision Superb or even their Individual 2.
It all boils down to the level of comfort you would like to achieve and the price which is affected by which type/brand of lenses you get.

Prices are usually affected by 1)Your degree(high index? or normal)
2)type of frame(frameless/Half frame requires a tougher lens quality e.g. Trivex 1.53 or Polycarbonate 1.59/Airwear)
3)Tier of lenses that you want(wide corridor? smooth progression,lesser distortion.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add on if you guys have other tips too!
Old 27-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #4403

Hi rainbo99,

Tokai Lutina does not have transition add on but another Japanese lens by Asahi-Lite does.

You can ask for 1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic.
Pros:
  • Blocks 94% HEV light
  • Turns dark & reduce glare under Sunlight

Cons:
Its very expensive as its available only in 1.74 index. If possible, good to wait a couple more months. Hopefully these japanese decides to start making 1.60 & 1.67 index.

FREE branded frame promo
How it works: Spend $200 or above on a pair of frame + lenses to get a FREE branded frame.

Hi, may I know how much is the "1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic" mentioned?
GuiGuZi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #4404

EyezoneOpticalSG and GANGSTERKIA, Thanks for your valuable advice! Will have to consider progressive eventually.

i can't see near very well now with lao hua catching up....If i get a pair of purely lao hua glasses just to see near (bearing in mind my high myopia) - can i read the newspaper clearly?
Old 28-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #4405

EyezoneOpticalSG and GANGSTERKIA, Thanks for your valuable advice! Will have to consider progressive eventually.

i can't see near very well now with lao hua catching up....If i get a pair of purely lao hua glasses just to see near (bearing in mind my high myopia) - can i read the newspaper clearly?
Yup definitely. But pure lao hua glasses is limited to a certain range of use (e.g. Clear within 35-45cm away from eyes). If newspaper is clear and sharp, computer (intermediate) will not be so sharp.
Old 28-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #4406

Hi, may I know how much is the "1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic" mentioned?
Hi GuiGuZi, pm sent

Last edited by EyezoneOpticalSG; 28-06-2018 at 11:51 AM..
EyezoneOpticalSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #4407
ERT

Tokai Neurogran

Is Tokai Neurogran available locally?

Seems like very few optical shops offer Tokai PALs!

Shamir is slightly better = at least it has local presence online
Old 29-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #4408
ERT

https://opticaljedi.wordpress.com is a good read!
Old 29-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #4409
Master Member

Wow! They really cover a lot! A great read for the new!

https://opticaljedi.wordpress.com is a good read!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #4410

Is Tokai Neurogran available locally?

Seems like very few optical shops offer Tokai PALs!

Shamir is slightly better = at least it has local presence online
Hello ERT,

Tokai Neurogran is not available locally. The available designs are: Perfect Match & Resonas range.

Yeah totally agree with the local online presence issue. The japs seems to be pretty bad at that and they hardly do any marketing as well. Probably that's why they managed to keep their cost low and retail at a lower price for the same quality?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.