HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree488Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #4486
Great Supremacy Member

Maybe you can ask for Essilor,Pentax, Stellify, AO , Kwang Meng, OSS , Asahi, Tokai. These brands lenses transition lenses should be cheaper than Zeiss.
But in terms of Quality/clarity, i Obviously will lean towards zeiss. But i guess different places will also quote you different prices.
$200 for hoya sensity 1.5 with blue control a good price?
Old 23-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #4487
Master Member

Straight up yes. Really good price. It’s probably Pentax lenses or stellify which is still under hoya. It’s a steal/bargain. Whatever it is, just make sure you are getting the correct lens and choose a comfortable frame!

GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #4488
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe you can ask for Essilor,Pentax, Stellify, AO , Kwang Meng, OSS , Asahi, Tokai. These brands lenses transition lenses should be cheaper than Zeiss.
But in terms of Quality/clarity, i Obviously will lean towards zeiss. But i guess different places will also quote you different prices.
Thanks! I will shop around

PM-ed you to ask for lobang
zjllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #4489

Hey good evening!
Porsche frames usually around 400-500, thus the lens like u mentuon around 700? WIth transition usually is more expensive and maybe 200+ top up. Means your lenses by itself is around 500. I'm not sure what tier of lenses u got but seems to be one of an above average one judging from the price breakdown. So.. if it really is the above average tier, i would say thats a pretttty normal price for your glasses bro!

Hope this helps!
the lens is rodenstock

it says rodenstock purelife free 2 1.54CM SPP

went to Jamco to make a lindberg frame and they are ordering it,

they recommend Essilor progressive, the best one with transition and blue filter,

wonder if it will affect comparing my rodenstock and the essilor

read through the past few pages, and it seems like Hoya is better for coating,

anyone can comment on essilor ? seem a lot of advertisements for it and chen han wei in the ad,

i dont mind paying for better but dont want to spend on something which is no good,

cant wait for my specs frames to come then go to the shop to mark the eye ball position and maybe 2 weeks my spectables will be ready,

cant wait,

also worry about the yellowing of lens, essilor got yellow tint on lenses for computer blue filter types ?

how much can jamco give discount for ? was given only 15% but they have lindberg frames and can order for me and seems like a trusted shop
v1hypersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #4490
Master Member

the lens is rodenstock

they recommend Essilor progressive, the best one with transition and blue filter,

anyone can comment on essilor ? seem a lot of advertisements for it and chen han wei in the ad,

i dont mind paying for better but dont want to spend on something which is no good,

cant wait for my specs frames to come then go to the shop to mark the eye ball position and maybe 2 weeks my spectables will be ready,

cant wait,

also worry about the yellowing of lens, essilor got yellow tint on lenses for computer blue filter types ?

how much can jamco give discount for ? was given only 15% but they have lindberg frames and can order for me and seems like a trusted shop
Dont worry about it, the best essilor lens is probably the X-series. It is really good in terms of field of view and less distortion. Dont worry, essilor is improving from my customers feedback so it will be fine!

Congrats on getting a pair of lindberg too! 15% is really good for frame and the lens too. They are really reliable and trustworthy too. Ur X-series lens will surely be better than the rodenstock i believe!
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #4491

thanks for your replies and promptness,

they are really helpful in my decision making and as other forumers mentioned , you are very helpful with your knowledge and you are great help in this thread
v1hypersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #4492

thanks bro for the advice

Along the Area, i would recommend going to The Eye Care people. Think they are pretty professional. Price-wise Not too sure. Or if you head further down to bukit timah plaza maybe you can consider Mee mee optics. Both are really reliable though if you ask me, i would lean towards the Latter as i know some of their staff thus believe they are really reliable.
rainbow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #4493

Have a question for all the experts here. I've perfect eyesight (not trying to rub anything on anyone here), i'm looking for a frame-less & no degree spectacle for fashion purposes.
The size of the specs shouldn't be too big & for the lenses the thinner the better. These are the few brands/concepts i'm looking into right now :

1. John Lennon round eyeglasses

2. Titanium metal eyeglasses

3. Aviator eyeglasses

Any input of any sorts will be much appreciated.
JamieChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #4494

HI where is m vision
Hi bro!

Mvision is a Lens lab. Probably look for shops selling their products instead
Old 25-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #4495
Supremacy Member

Any optician in sg stocking Integrity free form lenses from Laramy K Optical Labs?
Old 25-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #4496

the lens is rodenstock

cant wait,

Hi, I also made a pair of Lindberg with Hoya progressive lens at Jamco. Firstly, I am not related to the shop. Their service is good but not sure about the price I paid as this was my first visit to thier shop. Generally I am happy with their recommendation of "wide view lens by Hoya"(can't remember the name of this lens). Anyway, I can't afford the Escilor X-series and not many optical shops carry Lindberg let alone the wide collections? Thanks.
nethdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #4497

If you ask me, I would say not really. But in terms of clarity, zeiss takes it best but i always emphasise on individual tolerance. If you personal clarity tolerance is high e.g not sensitive to clarity, basically most lenses brand will work on you. But if you want to have better clarity then zeiss is the one to go for. In terms of the 3 of them for single vision lens clarity, my personal opinion is 1)zeiss 2)hoya 3)essilor.
Myself I tried all 3 Brandís before and I donít see any difference because my tolerance is very high thus all 3 lenses doesnít have any significant difference in clarity for me.
There are other lenses in the market e.g. like what fellow user eyezoneopticalsg mentioned, tokai, Asahi , Kodak, AO, Nikon, Pentax, stellify..
So depends on which optical shop you go to, they will probably r commend you accordingly!
Gansterkia, thank you for spending time to respond. I find that my "lau hua" is really catching up as i age.
I think my current spec has a progressive lens, but it seems that my degree went up and i have to lift up my spec to read fine prints now. In between the big 3, zeiss, hoya and essilor; any recommendation as to which is better for progressive lens?
Second question is about transition, does it really make sense? Honestly i rarely walk under the sun, even have also is for around 10 min for the entire day. Furthermore, transition doesn't work when you are driving, it won't turn dark if the sun shines onto you when you are driving, cause the UV is filtered out by the windscreen. So probably the only time i will need transition when i am on vacation at a beach. So maybe i shouldn't need to add transition to my lens? Advise?
Quinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #4498

For Anti-fatigue lenses, the design is pretty similar across all brands. Can probably just go with the material/coating you prefer
Thank you for the reply. Is anti-fatigue = progressive?
As you can see from my other response, my lao hua is getting worse, ai.. old liao.
Quinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #4499

Thank you for the reply. Is anti-fatigue = progressive?
As you can see from my other response, my lao hua is getting worse, ai.. old liao.
Anti-Fatigue lenses are usually prescribed to people 38 years old and below.
Similar to a softer Progressive lens design but reading addition only ranges from +0.50 to +1.00.

Progressive lenses are for older folks who require higher reading addition of +1.25 and above. Depending on the type of daily activities you have, you can also opt for lenses that suits you more. (E.g. Outdoor, Indoor or balance design)

I suggest checking your eyes with your regular optical shop to determine your prescription then decide what type of lenses to go for

Last edited by EyezoneOpticalSG; 26-07-2018 at 03:02 PM..
EyezoneOpticalSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #4500

May I get a price check for the Tokai lenses with 1.74 index? Also where in SG are these available? Thanks

Hi Kusuoh,

Crizel EyeZen falls in the category of anti-fatigue lenses. Many brands carry this range of lenses. We'ld usually prescribe it to younger folks(25-38yo) who face alot of near work.

For heavy CPU/mobile phone users, We would recommend Asahi-Lite UV420/ Tokai Lutina. These lenses blocks up to 94% HEV (Harmful Blue) light
The only local authorised agent for these 2 lenses is Mvision Singapore.

Check out the lens demo here:

For Anti Fatigue + Blue Filter lenses, you can consider:
MPIO Asahi-Lite or MPIO Lutina from Mvision for maximum comfort.
Plastics is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.