HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree438Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #4561
Master Member

Is there any location that is convenient/preferred for you?

the gardens3b,
I changed my lenses about 5 years ago at Kwong Shin near Bras Basah. I don't have a preferred location but I am worried if the frame may snap when it is not handled properly.

gangsterkia,
Do you have any recommendations on the optical shop and also the type of lenses i should get?
I am hopping to get something light so that the spectacles do not slide down my nose bridge.

Thanks, everyone
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #4562

Hi all.
I recently bought a spectacles and fitted an "inhouse" lens (Think the brand is ILT). Actually wanted to get Zeiss/Hoya but since i had to wait a few days, i settled for the inhouse lens which could be done within an hour. The lens i got was 1.6 and has blue light filter and the usual coatings.

Currently not really impressed with the blue light filter as the orange tint is quite noticable. Also i noticed when i look at ceiling mounted light there would be some glare so was just wondering if Zeiss/Hoya/branded lens really has a big difference in terms of clarity, glare reduction and blue light filter performance compared to this ILT branded lens

Thinking if i should get the lens changed. Thanks!

Last edited by cre8ate; 14-08-2018 at 08:31 PM..
cre8ate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #4563

Anywhere between town and boon lay is fine with me
DaFeiLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #4564
Master Member

Hi all.
I recently bought a spectacles and fitted an "inhouse" lens (Think the brand is ILT). Actually wanted to get Zeiss/Hoya but since i had to wait a few days, i settled for the inhouse lens which could be done within an hour. The lens i got was 1.6 and has blue light filter and the usual coatings.

Currently not really impressed with the blue light filter as the orange tint is quite noticable. Also i noticed when i look at ceiling mounted light there would be some glare so was just wondering if Zeiss/Hoya/branded lens really has a big difference in terms of clarity, glare reduction and blue light filter performance compared to this ILT branded lens

Personally, if you don't feel comfortable with the lenses, change it. Afterall, it is something you wear everyday and it is important to have one that you don't have an issue with. For blue light filter lens, it is normal to have a tint to it an different brands have a different tint but mostly blue as it is to reflect the blue light out. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and if the lens are not up to your standard, do consider changing it.
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #4565
Master Member

Anywhere between town and boon lay is fine with me
Hmm... That way we could be looking at Town(KJ optometrists), Bukit Batok area(Mr Eyewear). These are places that i would recommend as i know they have really top-notch Optometrists/Opticians.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #4566
Master Member

Hi all.

Were you given a sample of the blue filter lens to try at first?

There will be a difference in terms of clarity, glare reduction and blue filter for sure among the different brands.
For glare-wise there could be other reasons for the issue apart from just the blue light filter. The filter Generally varies on what lens brand you get.

Blue filter lenses work in 2 ways, Reflecting blue light Or Absorbing. If you are not comfortable with the Reflecting ones which will give you the yellowish hue, then go with the absorbing one e.g. brands like Tokai Lutina, Shamir Blue Zero, Kwang meng Blue Visor. These are the ones that doesnt give you the Yellowish hue thus it will look as per normal lenses.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #4567

I see. Thanks a lot.
DaFeiLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #4568

Thanks for the useful advice guys.
Any idea how much should i be looking at for a basic (without blue filter) Zeiss 1.6?

Were you given a sample of the blue filter lens to try at first?

There will be a difference in terms of clarity, glare reduction and blue filter for sure among the different brands.
For glare-wise there could be other reasons for the issue apart from just the blue light filter. The filter Generally varies on what lens brand you get.

Blue filter lenses work in 2 ways, Reflecting blue light Or Absorbing. If you are not comfortable with the Reflecting ones which will give you the yellowish hue, then go with the absorbing one e.g. brands like Tokai Lutina, Shamir Blue Zero, Kwang meng Blue Visor. These are the ones that doesnt give you the Yellowish hue thus it will look as per normal lenses.
Personally, if you don't feel comfortable with the lenses, change it. Afterall, it is something you wear everyday and it is important to have one that you don't have an issue with. For blue light filter lens, it is normal to have a tint to it an different brands have a different tint but mostly blue as it is to reflect the blue light out. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and if the lens are not up to your standard, do consider changing it.
cre8ate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #4569
Master Member

Thanks for the useful advice guys.
Any idea how much should i be looking at for a basic (without blue filter) Zeiss 1.6?
they have different grades of lenses even for single vision. if you keen just pm either me or gangsterkia
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #4570
Supremacy Member

It won’t be an issue for me helping you get the replacement. But any reason why you did not go back to that shop? Is it still under warranty? If yes, the shop might be able to waive off the cost of it too.
Thanks! I think the model I want is $400+ locally.

What are your thoughts on their frames? Do they justify the price or are there any cheaper alternatives around?
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #4571

Hi bro,

There's generally 2 type of lenses in the market, Blue Reflect or Blue Absorb.

Blue Reflect
  • Obvious Yellowish tint
  • Normal lens material
  • Reflective blue coating
  • Filters up to 30% HEV light

Blue Absorb
  • Almost not noticeable tint
  • Blue Absorb material
  • Normal green multicoating
  • Filters up to 94% HEV light

Demo of Blue Absorb lenses:

Hi all.

Last edited by EyezoneOpticalSG; 17-08-2018 at 11:51 AM..
EyezoneOpticalSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #4572
Great Supremacy Member

Do you have a picture of the prescription? Is the +50 part of presbyopia? Or maybe some anti fatigue power? Because from -1.50/-1.75 to +50 in a period of 1-2 years is not really common..
turned out that the +0.50 is the add for near reading, they tested for it but not used in the prescription

so for me, reading glasses will have Sph -1.00/-1.25 with no change in astig correction ?
in this case, can use 1.50 lenses? do they still sell them?
Old 17-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #4573
Arch-Supremacy Member

anybody knows where can i get an affordable ray ban sunglass polarize prescription?
Greysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #4574
Master Member

turned out that the +0.50 is the add for near reading, they tested for it but not used in the prescription

so for me, reading glasses will have Sph -1.00/-1.25 with no change in astig correction ?
in this case, can use 1.50 lenses? do they still sell them?
They do sell ready made reading glasses at +1.50. However i wouldnt advise on that as both your eyes will be under/over powered. For reading distance wise, a slight degree change will affect the length at which you can read at. Thus it's best if you individually correct each eye rather than accommodate for both at +1.50. Also ready made reading glasses e.g. daiso and all, can be used, but only temporarily, the material used to make those lenses are not the same as those made in optical shop with the proper lens material. Thus with the improper light refraction to your eyes ,it will caused headaches in short period of time.
Old 17-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #4575
Master Member

anybody knows where can i get an affordable ray ban sunglass polarize prescription?
Do you already have the rayban model in mind? Or planning to get it together with the lenses?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.