HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree437Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #4681
Master Member

"Give this a try first, with your progressives, lower your Chin and gaze through the top portion of the lenses. Does your vision become clearer as compared to looking straight?"
Wow, yes. It's very clear at the very top of the lens when I lower my chin. But it's very near to the frame.

"Also when you look straight ahead at objects, I need you to try to take notice, do you just look straight ahead or does your head naturally tilt up slightly?"
I notice my head tilt up slightly.
Alright, It seems like the fitting height of the lenses(progressive) could be slightly marked higher, thus when you look straight, you are looking through the inbetween of distance and intermediate vision e.g. your power at the top is -5.00 but you are looking through a -4.50-->-4.75 kind of degree thus it is not as sharp.
Coupled with the fact that you tilt your head slightly when you see far, you are inducing more (near power) towards your distance vision thus your effective distance power is lowered further.

3 alternatives you can consider.
1) request from your shop to adjust the nosepad(hopefully the frame you chose has nosepads to work around with) to allow the frame to sit lower and further out thus you can automatically see through the higher portion of the lens, though it might cause your reading/intermediate to be slightly affected.

2)Remake the lens and get the fitting height measured again but this time, note to your optician/optometrist that you tend to chin up slightly when viewing distance.

***3)Just thought of it, Try asking your Optician/Optometrist to adjust the pantoscopic tilt of the frame Might work better without going through too much trouble! But if it feels unnatural to you, just request for a remake since if you made it recently. Just rmb to note those points
thegardens3b likes this.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 04-09-2018 at 12:04 PM..
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #4682
Master Member

Alright, It seems like the fitting height of the lenses(progressive) could be slightly marked higher, thus when you look straight, you are looking through the inbetween of distance and intermediate vision e.g. your power at the top is -5.00 but you are looking through a -4.50-->-4.75 kind of degree thus it is not as sharp.
Coupled with the fact that you tilt your head slightly when you see far, you are inducing more (near power) towards your distance vision thus your effective distance power is lowered further.

1) request from your shop to adjust the nosepad(hopefully the frame you chose has nosepads to work around with) to allow the frame to sit lower and further out thus you can automatically see through the higher portion of the lens, though it might cause your reading/intermediate to be slightly affected.

2)Remake the lens and get the fitting height measured again but this time, note to your optician/optometrist that you tend to chin up slightly when viewing distance.

***3)Just thought of it, Try asking your Optician/Optometrist to adjust the pantoscopic tilt of the frame Might work better without going through too much trouble!
should get admin to sticky this.... common problems that people face...
most probably due to the practitioner not asking more detailed questions...

if GANGSTER KIA serve you sure no problem
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #4683
Supremacy Member

GANGSTERKIA, i assume you own a shop, can pm me the address?
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #4684

Thanks for the detailed sharing. Very much appreciated. Will visit the optician again to get it corrected.

***3)Just thought of it, Try asking your Optician/Optometrist to adjust the pantoscopic tilt of the frame Might work better without going through too much trouble! But if it feels unnatural to you, just request for a remake since if you made it recently. Just rmb to note those points
Amaninus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #4685
Master Member

GANGSTERKIA, i assume you own a shop, can pm me the address?
Seems like gansterkia has successfully solicited quite a number of potential customers from hwz here!
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #4686
Master Member

Hmm, soliciting is quite a strong word don’t you think..?

Seems like gansterkia has successfully solicited quite a number of potential customers from hwz here!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #4687

Ooo I never knew he had a shop. Have seen him patiently replying to our many queries here including mine recently and when I asked for shop recommendations, he didn't direct me to his shop but others.

Knowing this now, I'd definitely be in touch with you shortly gangsterkia. Thanks again for the earlier advise and your contributions to this thread!

blzy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #4688
Master Member

Not a very nice word to use.....
We are here to help raise awareness and help users with issues with their vision aids.
If they are comfortable with coming to us for our services to ensure they get better care, i think it is fine. We don't do it unethically/nor push our services.

Furthermore, like other users can see, we don't promote the workplace we are at unless people request via PM.

Everyone has a freedom of choice
Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #4689

hi gansterkia and gardens3b , is lindberg series fixed price cox i went to bugis junction they said can give 20% off while W optics said lindberg is fixed price .
Singaporean80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #4690
Master Member

hi gansterkia and gardens3b , is lindberg series fixed price cox i went to bugis junction they said can give 20% off while W optics said lindberg is fixed price .
I believe some places might sells Lindberg at a higher price e.g. 1000 so they can afford to give 20% off become 800. Whereas others might sell at 800 or even 7+++ thus no discount given.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #4691
Master Member

yup. like u go ntuc/sheng shiong like that..
they might sell the same product but different price.
but spectacles wise more personalised... choose a place where they make you feel comfortable to part your money to...
Old 06-09-2018, 11:43 PM   #4692

Hi, does anyone have recent experience with The Lensmen at Parkway Parade? I used to go there to make all my glasses since JC but haven't been back in about 3 years. I guess it's time to go for an eye check. Thank you!
YongHH78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #4693
Master Member

They are really good, friendly and trustworthy. Especially the slightly older lady haha..
***or you can look for the younger blondie. Bubbly yet skillful at the same time.

Hi, does anyone have recent experience with The Lensmen at Parkway Parade? I used to go there to make all my glasses since JC but haven't been back in about 3 years. I guess it's time to go for an eye check. Thank you!

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 07-09-2018 at 02:32 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #4694

They are really good, friendly and trustworthy. Especially the slightly older lady haha..
***or you can look for the younger blondie. Bubbly yet skillful at the same time.
Gangsterkia, thank you for the feedback. Iíll look for one of them.
YongHH78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #4695
Master Member

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.