HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree437Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #4771
Master Member

Hi all,

Have been using my specs for awhile (~4yrs). Hope to get a new pair of spectacles (frame and lens). Just wish to check, I usually wear bigger frame as my face is larger.

Is it possible to get a pair around the range of $300 and what kind of lenses can I get (branded or non-branded)?

I have mild astigmatism (0.25?) and around 325/350 for my shortsightedness.

Just looking out for options here since I have been to owndays lately.

Thanks in advance !
Hi,

Yes its possible to get a frame and lens for +-50dollars 300 and lenses would include hoya, essilor ,zeiss, asahi, shamir, and more.
It depends on your frame too but likely a non branded one.
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #4772

Hi all,

Have been using my specs for awhile (~4yrs). Hope to get a new pair of spectacles (frame and lens). Just wish to check, I usually wear bigger frame as my face is larger.

Is it possible to get a pair around the range of $300 and what kind of lenses can I get (branded or non-branded)?

I have mild astigmatism (0.25?) and around 325/350 for my shortsightedness.

Just looking out for options here since I have been to owndays lately.

Thanks in advance !
Hi Bro,

Ray Ban + Asahi Lite UV3G 1.56 Blue Filter ($250 onwards)
Braun Buffel + Asahi Lite UV3G 1.56 Blue Filter ($265 onwards)
Nike + Asahi Lite UV3G 1.56 Blue Filter ($280 onwards)
Old 13-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #4773

Nope my workplace does not carry Starck anymore.

I think there are alot of frames with similar cost that might fit your bill e.g. Porsche Design, DUNs , and many more..
Hi Gangsterkia, I found the starck frame at eyechamp nex mall they are giving 50% discount on the frame so it's $230 after discount. However, is it still worth getting starck rimless frame as it prone to have spring issues which some users feedback in this thread. And I noticed the staff there is not really professional/knowledgable on the product they selling. Do you have any shop to recommend around serangoon/toa payoh. My myopia is 400+ on left and 500+ on right with very minor astig, been asking around and comparing this 2 brand of lens, hoya nulux ep double aspheric 1.67 without bluecoat and Zeiss single vision superb duravision platinum SUV 1.67 without blue coat. Hope you can give me some recommendation. Thank you very much
sequalancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #4774
Master Member

Hi Gangsterkia, I found the starck frame at eyechamp nex mall they are giving 50% discount on the frame so it's $230 after discount. However, is it still worth getting starck rimless frame as it prone to have spring issues which some users feedback in this thread. And I noticed the staff there is not really professional/knowledgable on the product they selling. Do you have any shop to recommend around serangoon/toa payoh. My myopia is 400+ on left and 500+ on right with very minor astig, been asking around and comparing this 2 brand of lens, hoya nulux ep double aspheric 1.67 without bluecoat and Zeiss single vision superb duravision platinum SUV 1.67 without blue coat. Hope you can give me some recommendation. Thank you very much
So far the customers that i have using the starck frame, only one of them had spring issue and it was after 4years of using. It took the supplier about 3weeks to get the issue fixed as it was sent to HK to rectify. Thus i feel starck itself is still a decent frame. But 50% Off is really crazy cheap, not many places have it, if you are still worried then you can always try the other retailers in spore that carry starcks, i googled and found afew, https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Next, if you are planning to get a high end lens like those you mentioned, both are actually good enough. Thus you can choose whichever that is cheaper.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 13-10-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Old 13-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #4775

Gangsterkia, can pm me your shop? Got high 800 degree myopia and around 250 astigmatism. Looking to invest in a pair good lens and frame. Thanks.

Sent from heaven using GAGT
huatkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #4776

So far the customers that i have using the starck frame, only one of them had spring issue and it was after 4years of using. It took the supplier about 3weeks to get the issue fixed as it was sent to HK to rectify. Thus i feel starck itself is still a decent frame. But 50% Off is really crazy cheap, not many places have it, if you are still worried then you can always try the other retailers in spore that carry starcks, i googled and found afew, https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Next, if you are planning to get a high end lens like those you mentioned, both are actually good enough. Thus you can choose whichever that is cheaper.
Hi Gangsterkia, I tried other retailers in spore but some out of stock and some offer little discount. So in the end I went ahead to do mine at nex mall. The staff there recommended me to take Nikon Seemax 1.67 claiming that it is better than Zeiss superb 1.67. But ofcoz the price is also higher. Is Nikon seemax really better than Zeiss superb?
Old 13-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #4777
Master Member

Hi Gangsterkia, I tried other retailers in spore but some out of stock and some offer little discount. So in the end I went ahead to do mine at nex mall. The staff there recommended me to take Nikon Seemax 1.67 claiming that it is better than Zeiss superb 1.67. But ofcoz the price is also higher. Is Nikon seemax really better than Zeiss superb?
Imho, it depends on how sensitive you are towards clarity of lenses, personally even hoya ep nulux is good enough for me or even zeiss superb.(i am actually using just a normal Single vision lens that cost 150 for my frame and i have no issues with clarity.) Nikon is really one the the top of the range line in terms of lenses. They have one more which is the Seemax Infinity but what you have i feel is already really more than sufficient so dont worry about it! You are getting a good frame and lens.
Hopefully the price of the lens is reasonable enough for you too!
Old 13-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #4778

Thumbs up

Imho, it depends on how sensitive you are towards clarity of lenses, personally even hoya ep nulux is good enough for me or even zeiss superb.(i am actually using just a normal Single vision lens that cost 150 for my frame and i have no issues with clarity.) Nikon is really one the the top of the range line in terms of lenses. They have one more which is the Seemax Infinity but what you have i feel is already really more than sufficient so dont worry about it! You are getting a good frame and lens.
Hopefully the price of the lens is reasonable enough for you too!
All these while I have been using hoya, so I never try any other lens and I don't know whether I'm sensitive with clarity but of course I would like to get a better clarity lens. I don't know if the price are reasonable, I'm paying $230 for the frame and $490 for the lens, so far this is the only shop offering great discount on frame but I'm not sure if the lens is reasonable. Anyway bro gangsterkia, u have been really helpful by answering my questions and providing me all these information. Thank you very much
Old 13-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #4779
Master Member

All these while I have been using hoya, so I never try any other lens and I don't know whether I'm sensitive with clarity but of course I would like to get a better clarity lens. I don't know if the price are reasonable, I'm paying $230 for the frame and $490 for the lens, so far this is the only shop offering great discount on frame but I'm not sure if the lens is reasonable. Anyway bro gangsterkia, u have been really helpful by answering my questions and providing me all these information. Thank you very much
you got yourself a good deal! haha grats and welcome!
EyezoneOpticalSG likes this.
Old 13-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #4780
High Supremacy Member

This brand varilux good? My relative made progressive lenses choose highest tier one "unlimited vision" lenses alone 860
Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #4781
Supremacy Member

Sounds like Varilux X Series :O

This brand varilux good? My relative made progressive lenses choose highest tier one "unlimited vision" lenses alone 860
Old 14-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #4782
Master Member

Sounds like Varilux X Series :O
Yes confirm its X-series.

But its not exactly unlimited vision, it's just that the reading zone and intermediate zone is wider and also the lenses have lesser distortion compared to other brands. But general feedback for the lenses is that they are really comfortable so far i heard
Old 14-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #4783

Hi Eyezone can pm me also the shop name and lenses brand. Tia.

Both are branded & pricey
PM me if you want Progressive lenses with same performance as Zeiss but half price
mocca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #4784
Supremacy Member

What I like most is their Sapphire Crizal Coating. Even looking at 45degree angle, I almost once mistook that the lenses wasnt inside when my parent was wearing them.

Wish that they could quickly launch their single vision lenses with Sapphire coat..

Yes confirm its X-series.

But its not exactly unlimited vision, it's just that the reading zone and intermediate zone is wider and also the lenses have lesser distortion compared to other brands. But general feedback for the lenses is that they are really comfortable so far i heard
Old 14-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #4785
Master Member

What I like most is their Sapphire Crizal Coating. Even looking at 45degree angle, I almost once mistook that the lenses wasnt inside when my parent was wearing them.

Wish that they could quickly launch their single vision lenses with Sapphire coat..
A big fan of the sapphire coating!
i personally like it too!
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.