Like Tree445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #5191

This is my first time using Essilor.
Was comparing Zeiss , Crizal & Nikon.

Zeiss & Nikon around $12xx+

And I need to make 2 sets.
So try Crizal.

That’s another brand. Forgotten the name.
From Israel. But quite ex.

Just for discussion sake.
Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.
In terms of coating & durability.

I assumed branded is a little bit better??
Since they spend so much on R&D??

"Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.

Since they spend so much on R&D??"

Have to depend on which lab is making it. There's a lab in Singapore that produce even better Progressive lenses at a more affordable price point. So far, we've successfully fitted lots of x-series, mystyle dropouts.

Branded stuff are usually priced higher due to their advertising efforts. They advertise, consumers pay. Doesn't mean their products are any much better

Just look around for Mvision 4k Premium Progressive lenses, if your X-series, mystyle fails to live up to expectation.
Old 24-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #5192
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just got a quote for a pair of specs zeiss fsv as 1.6 UVProtect duravision bluepritect UV and silhouette frame at $460. Is this reasonable price ?

My Guess the frame is $300 usual is $498
Lens $160
Can someone advise me ?
DouBleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #5193
Master Member

Can someone advise me ?
very good price
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #5194
Banned

how about us
you have a website or fb page? what frames you have?
kaixin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #5195

"Branded progessive vs non branded progressive.

Since they spend so much on R&D??"

Have to depend on which lab is making it. There's a lab in Singapore that produce even better Progressive lenses at a more affordable price point. So far, we've successfully fitted lots of x-series, mystyle dropouts.

Branded stuff are usually priced higher due to their advertising efforts. They advertise, consumers pay. Doesn't mean their products are any much better

Just look around for Mvision 4k Premium Progressive lenses, if your X-series, mystyle fails to live up to expectation.
Hi, is there an opportunity for consumers like me to get access to the lab that produces premium quality progressive lens at an affordable price mentioned by you? Or I need to commission my glasses at your optical shop to enjoy this? Thanks.
nethdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #5196

Hi, is there an opportunity for consumers like me to get access to the lab that produces premium quality progressive lens at an affordable price mentioned by you? Or I need to commission my glasses at your optical shop to enjoy this? Thanks.
Hi bro,

Labs usually deal with optical shops direct.
You can visit any shops that sell Mvision Premium lenses.
Old 24-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5197

you have a website or fb page? what frames you have?
Hi Bro, Our Frame brands & Facebook Page
Old 24-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #5198

Interested in making progressives. Previously made one but because of my high short sightedness the thickness came out pretty thick. Understand is just physics, if want thin metallic frame it is going to look like this. Got any alternatives, or really need to go even higher index which is gonna cost more?
rerear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #5199

Interested in making progressives. Previously made one but because of my high short sightedness the thickness came out pretty thick. Understand is just physics, if want thin metallic frame it is going to look like this. Got any alternatives, or really need to go even higher index which is gonna cost more?
Hi bro,

if you want the lenses to be thinner, can go for Lenticular lenses.

Its a special surfacing technique to bring the thickness down, especially for super high degree. Just ask around, some optical stores are able to do this for you.

Old 24-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #5200
Master Member

Yep, lenticular lens is one option but not without its downsides. (e.g it hides the side thickness but your appearance from front will appear abit weird which is why not very popular also)
If not, pick a smaller frame (usually plastic as it can hide abit more of thickness) with 1.74 index lens. (generally the more preferred and available option)
However, i think lenticular not available for progressives and its mainly for single vision.
I am not 100% sure of this as technology might have improved or i might just be unaware of it.
Old 24-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #5201

Yep, lenticular lens is one option but not without its downsides. (e.g it hides the side thickness but your appearance from front will appear abit weird which is why not very popular also)
If not, pick a smaller frame (usually plastic as it can hide abit more of thickness) with 1.74 index lens. (generally the more preferred and available option)
However, i think lenticular not available for progressives and its mainly for single vision.
I am not 100% sure of this as technology might have improved or i might just be unaware of it.
Yup, small plastic frames are recommended when using lenticular lenses for best effect. Lenticular lenses are still available with progressives. We'l normally recommend to those with super high prescription (usually >-10.00D).
Old 24-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #5202
Master Member

Yup, small plastic frames are recommended when using lenticular lenses for best effect. Lenticular lenses are still available with progressives. We'l normally recommend to those with super high prescription (usually >-10.00D).
thanks for info on the latter!
Old 24-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #5203

Thanks for the comments. My degree is like this. Can go for lenticular? Yeah if really need to go for plastic then no choice liao. Any recommend for good plastic lens that are suitable for such thick glasses, small means vertically small? I was under the impression that for progressives, need slightly taller frame because you need to use the bottom part to look near/down.

If can suggest what index i need to go for will be great (e.g. 1.6, or 1.74), if choose plastic. But then again, if really choose plastic, should just go for non-lenticular else will appear like weird?

R-7.50-0.50x5
L-7.50-1.00x135
rerear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #5204

Thanks for the comments. My degree is like this. Can go for lenticular? Yeah if really need to go for plastic then no choice liao. Any recommend for good plastic lens that are suitable for such thick glasses, small means vertically small? I was under the impression that for progressives, need slightly taller frame because you need to use the bottom part to look near/down.

If can suggest what index i need to go for will be great (e.g. 1.6, or 1.74), if choose plastic. But then again, if really choose plastic, should just go for non-lenticular else will appear like weird?

R-7.50-0.50x5
L-7.50-1.00x135

Small as in horizontally small
-7.50 not really high la 😂
Even a 1.67 index lens with a frame near to your Pupil Distance (PD) would be decently thin.
EyezoneOpticalSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #5205
Master Member

R-7.50-0.50x5
L-7.50-1.00x135
yeah no point going for lenticular.
1.74 is thinnest for plastic. the optom/optician just have to pick out an appropirate frame whereby there is still enough depth for you for your near reading
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.