HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #5251

Hello! Recently went to an option in town and saw two frames which I kinda liked - Masunaga and Stealer (Steel). Wanted to ask if there are any reviews on either/both please, especially anything adverse?

Also was quoted for two brands of bluelight reduction lenses - Crizal Provencia @ $300 (1.67) vs Shamir Blue glacier uv @ $250 (also 1.67). I personally haven't heard of the latter, but was quite impressed with the demo that blue light couldn't penetrate the lenses. Anyone has heard of it and how is the pricing for both please?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
cokiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #5252
Supremacy Member

Is Shamir Autograph 3 1.67 for single vision worth the price? Both my eyes about -4.00 prescription.
kitsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #5253
Master Member

Hello! Recently went to an option in town and saw two frames which I kinda liked - Masunaga and Stealer (Steel). Wanted to ask if there are any reviews on either/both please, especially anything adverse?

Also was quoted for two brands of bluelight reduction lenses - Crizal Provencia @ $300 (1.67) vs Shamir Blue glacier uv @ $250 (also 1.67). I personally haven't heard of the latter, but was quite impressed with the demo that blue light couldn't penetrate the lenses. Anyone has heard of it and how is the pricing for both please?

My recommendation is go Masunaga(Good brand, great aesthetics and comfort).

Price sounds fine though..others might be able to give you more feedback.
Personally i prefer lenses with Blue light reflecting technology e.g. prevencia(crizal),Zeiss(blue protect), Hoya(blue control) as for myself, the yellowish hue from such lenses helps to reduce glare more as compared to blue light absorption e.g. Shamir Blue zero, Tokai lutina and more.
Personally I dont feel much(maybe abit?) difference when i use absorption technology lenses.
BUT one man meat is another poison thus just take what i say with a pinch of salt and you can consider the other lens choice.
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #5254
Master Member

Is Shamir Autograph 3 1.67 for single vision worth the price? Both my eyes about -4.00 prescription.
Not too bad.Similar Lens tier that can be considered are Nikon SeeMaxAP, Zeiss Single vision Superb, Hoya Nulux EP too.
Old 25-03-2019, 03:28 AM   #5255

My recommendation is go Masunaga(Good brand, great aesthetics and comfort).

Price sounds fine though..others might be able to give you more feedback.
Personally i prefer lenses with Blue light reflecting technology e.g. prevencia(crizal),Zeiss(blue protect), Hoya(blue control) as for myself, the yellowish hue from such lenses helps to reduce glare more as compared to blue light absorption e.g. Shamir Blue zero, Tokai lutina and more.
Personally I dont feel much(maybe abit?) difference when i use absorption technology lenses.
BUT one man meat is another poison thus just take what i say with a pinch of salt and you can consider the other lens choice.
Thanks! I've not actually heard of Masunaga prior (but probably more because I've never been into branded frames) so thought I'd check. How are they compared to say.. Yellows plus or mykita, both of which I'd considered?

I'm using blue control lenses now and really can kinda see the yellowish tint. Was also told that for the Shamir lens it'll be grey tinted slightly, but because it's absorbing I won't have the 'side effect' of having the blue reflection. How is the quality of Shamir generally?

Old 25-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #5256
Master Member

Thanks! I've not actually heard of Masunaga prior (but probably more because I've never been into branded frames) so thought I'd check. How are they compared to say.. Yellows plus or mykita, both of which I'd considered?

I'm using blue control lenses now and really can kinda see the yellowish tint. Was also told that for the Shamir lens it'll be grey tinted slightly, but because it's absorbing I won't have the 'side effect' of having the blue reflection. How is the quality of Shamir generally?

Masunaga is honestly a damn good pair of spectacles. I can vouch for it. I own one personally and my workplace carries a small collection. Masunaga is made in japan and honestly i prefer japanese made products. finishing and quality is better to me. That being said, it is all subjective. However, we all know for a fact that the japanese take pride in their work and craft so that speaks alot

Mykita and yellow plus are also good - then again it is down to your preference. Like e.g LV, Gucci, Prada. Find one that you like can already.

Shamir quality generally is quite alright as well. Comparable to those that gangsterkia mentioned. every brand has their own high tier lenses.
Hope our feedback helps and hope you enjoy wearing your soon to have new glasses
GANGSTERKIA likes this.
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #5257

Thanks! That does validate some of my considerations. I asked the sales person on her view between Masunaga vs Stealer and it was similar - one is Japanese and they're typically quite a stickler for good work. But it is a fair bit more pricey though.

Old 25-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #5258
Master Member

Thanks! That does validate some of my considerations. I asked the sales person on her view between Masunaga vs Stealer and it was similar - one is Japanese and they're typically quite a stickler for good work. But it is a fair bit more pricey though.

Haha indeed it is. But you pay for what you get. Wouldn't advice on getting something out of your comfort zone. But i really like it personally
Old 25-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #5259

Yes absolutely. Appreciate the view.

I went to my usual optician to ask for some pricing to compare for lenses, and got the following - can share if it's OK-ish?

Crizal prevencia 1.67 $280
Zeiss Blue protect 1.67 $325
Kodak uv Blue 1.67 $228
Hoya pentax (1.6 I think? Doesn't have 1.67) $198.

Also how does one compare say, Kodak UV Blue vs Crizal Prevencia? Is there a significant difference and how?

Old 25-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #5260

May I plz ask where is the most reasonable place to get lenses for round glasses with very thin frames (marc Jacobs)? I bough the frames in a sale - i don't need an eye test
Old 26-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #5261
Supremacy Member

Not too bad.Similar Lens tier that can be considered are Nikon SeeMaxAP, Zeiss Single vision Superb, Hoya Nulux EP too.
Thanks for info. What about Crizal coating? There is so many like Sapphire, Avance, easy, etc.
kitsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #5262
Master Member

Sapphire currently the best now between that and easy. It is their newest coating and the appearance also looks great.
The original crizal uv forte is slowly being discontinued.

Thanks for info. What about Crizal coating? There is so many like Sapphire, Avance, easy, etc.
Old 26-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #5263
Master Member

Yes absolutely. Appreciate the view.

I went to my usual optician to ask for some pricing to compare for lenses, and got the following - can share if it's OK-ish?

Crizal prevencia 1.67 $280
Zeiss Blue protect 1.67 $325
Kodak uv Blue 1.67 $228
Hoya pentax (1.6 I think? Doesn't have 1.67) $198.

Also how does one compare say, Kodak UV Blue vs Crizal Prevencia? Is there a significant difference and how?

Price wise - it is under the R.R.P. As mentioned often, some places do offer more or less discount. If it is your regular shop you go to and you trust them and like their services, it is fine

Gangsterkia already mentioned in previous posts for those people asking. Maybe you can refer to that and return to the shop to enquire more if you still have questions

May I plz ask where is the most reasonable place to get lenses for round glasses with very thin frames (marc Jacobs)? I bough the frames in a sale - i don't need an eye test
lenses wise if you not particular, cheapest lenses = those not branded ones. depending on your power etc they can advice at the shop. different shop might carry different products etc. but thin frames usually need thinner lens unless you dont mind. that might be a factor in your decision. certain stuff straightforward we can answer right away but qns like yours we need to ask more follow up questions before we can arrive to a conclusion.
Old 26-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #5264

For a budget around 500+-, am I able to get a Japanese made frame? Any recommendations? I browse through the post saw some mention yellow plus. Not sure my budget fit.
Hour9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #5265
Master Member

Hi,
Do you have any idea what is your prescription atm?
Yellows plus range from about 400-550.

For a budget around 500+-, am I able to get a Japanese made frame? Any recommendations? I browse through the post saw some mention yellow plus. Not sure my budget fit.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 26-03-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.