Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree456Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #5446
Master Member

optical shop is like sls & lucky plaza, money come 1st

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT
Not just optical shops... money always comes first. I apologise for the negative past experiences you may have with optical shops but i assure you, there are people who genuinely wish to have good relations, give good service while still helping the company make money even though it might be lesser just to maintain the good relationship.

Many people always say why can't we give more discounts etc.

Switch your point of view - If you were in our shoes, you provide the best possible service, trying to please the customer. You already budged down on the price but the customer insists on it being lower. How would you feel.
I heard this from a boss of a business " if you made the decision to walk into my shop, it means you trust me and my products, but if you ask for a discount, it either shows otherwise or that you feel my product and service are not worth the price"

Which i feel is very true.
Respect goes both ways. If you find the price too high, politely excuse yourself and go somewhere else.
There is always some place cheaper and also some place which charges higher. Choosing where to go and part with your money is a very personal choice.
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #5447

You got the best lenses possible and with i.scription = very customised to that particular frame and your visual habits. whether or not it is worth it, it is for the user to judge and not us.

side note: just curious, this was not done locally right?

would have rolled more but they dont allow me to..
not locally because I am not based in Singapore...how much do you think it would cost back in Singapore?

lol
antisole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #5448
Master Member

not locally because I am not based in Singapore...how much do you think it would cost back in Singapore?

lol
i just checked the RRP. and.... i think you really kena chopped big time cos the price you paid is just for lenses.... woah.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #5449

i just checked the RRP. and.... i think you really kena chopped big time cos the price you paid is just for lenses.... woah.
Figured as much. Haha
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #5450
Master Member

Figured as much. Haha
quite curious as to why didn't you ask for the price list/figure before paying. Or did you already know it was expensive but just went ahead with it because you thought it would be roughly about the same price elsewhere?

that being said, i personally feel it is up to you to feel justified for the price you paid.
If they gave you excellent service while doing your eye examination, and will provide excellent aftercare services, then to some people they wouldn't mind paying higher.
we will always have different opinions so just be happy with your own actions and choices
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #5451

@thegardens3b

thanks for the reply.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #5452

quite curious as to why didn't you ask for the price list/figure before paying. Or did you already know it was expensive but just went ahead with it because you thought it would be roughly about the same price elsewhere?

that being said, i personally feel it is up to you to feel justified for the price you paid.
If they gave you excellent service while doing your eye examination, and will provide excellent aftercare services, then to some people they wouldn't mind paying higher.
we will always have different opinions so just be happy with your own actions and choices
Part of the reason was, I could reimburse most of it with companys' flexi cash benefit. I did not end up paying that much . Was curious to how much it would cost for the same lenses back in Singapore.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #5453
High Supremacy Member

definitely not in singapore.
the cost price we pay the agent for the stocks is more than what you pay for the lenses and frame added together...

i kind of agree with the first part, but 2nd part is untrue.
many other places to get cheap glasses but not everyone wants to go there just like how patek users wont want to wear casio
but i get your point.

Hi pro photographer, i understand and agree with your point. But using the word chop is a very negative term.. Lets say 2 photographers are offering the same services - e.g album of 10 photos, along with editing and sending the hard copies to the client. One offers it at $500, while the other is charging $3000. Many questions would be asked - why is one significantly more than the other? Most people know the answer if they do more thinking or if they see it from different perspectives.
Yes I understand u all got high rent to pay and no choice need to charge higher price.. Think the optician industries need a major revamp.. Make it cheaper and so ppl will make more pairs.. Like me since I got the cheaper lobang I made average 1 specs per year and rotate them to use or depend on what I wear..

Think optician needs to tell customers what's different between other not so known brand vs branded lenses. And u know many of Them will ask u go for higher index lenses even if yr prescription is not that high.. Means the differences 1.56 to 1.71 is only very minor depend on frame size. There is a guide online somewhere.. Thus I know for mine case 1.61 is more then enough. 1.56 is abit thicker only

Last edited by Nakedtoes; 06-05-2019 at 06:31 PM..
Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #5454

Shamir Autograph Intelligence

Anyone else tried Shamir Autograph Intelligence. Recently made a pair, cost 2k+ just for the lens. I went in expecting some distortion but don't see anything at all. Is something wrong with this PAL?
ahthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #5455
Supremacy Member

Nowadays it’s so competitive to sustain in this drowning optical industry with many large eyewear companies coming into Singapore.

I have to admit I’m in this industry too.

Forget it man.. So demoralising to see the general public think of us as the carrot chopper when some of us are really genuine
GANGSTERKIA likes this.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #5456
Master Member

Anyone else tried Shamir Autograph Intelligence. Recently made a pair, cost 2k+ just for the lens. I went in expecting some distortion but don't see anything at all. Is something wrong with this PAL?
Nothing is wrong with it. It is marketed as one of the best lens in the market. Claims to be on PAR with Essilor Xclusive(best lens for them) and Zeiss individual 2. I have a customer using it and so far no issues(thankfully).

For it to cost 2k. You are using high index lenses too?
GANGSTERKIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #5457
Master Member

Yes I understand u all got high rent to pay and no choice need to charge higher price.. Think the optician industries need a major revamp.. Make it cheaper and so ppl will make more pairs.. Like me since I got the cheaper lobang I made average 1 specs per year and rotate them to use or depend on what I wear..

Think optician needs to tell customers what's different between other not so known brand vs branded lenses. And u know many of Them will ask u go for higher index lenses even if yr prescription is not that high.. Means the differences 1.56 to 1.71 is only very minor depend on frame size. There is a guide online somewhere.. Thus I know for mine case 1.61 is more then enough. 1.56 is abit thicker only

To be honest, whatever we charge, you can see for yourself, it's all from the brand pricelist and then we give further additional discount to it. We will surely make some profit out of it but still most of the markup is still done from the lens supplier side not us. We cant overcharge you as long as you look at the pricelist to make sure you are paying for the right product.

Nothing has to have a major revamp. I am sorry to be harsh here but i feel the consumers need to have their mindset changed. Yes, thankfully you have no issues with your glasses and lens that you are using now but there are many others out there who requires a better lens with better optical clarity to suit their needs. Consumers at my end does not require so many pairs of progressive lenses. Just 1-2 pairs(max) will do fine for any normal person. If you are using progressives which i am sure you are not based on the price you are getting for your spectacles, you will realize that you do not need so many pairs unless for reasons e.g. fashion etc.. Not sure about the others but from my POV, you do not need so many glasses(progressives) but just one that can suit you well enough.

Yes it is great that you get it at a good lobang, but if your optical shop is located in Singapore,then he must probably have a really large base of customer to be able to carry on selling at this price.

base on this quote ''Think optician needs to tell customers what's different between other not so known brand vs branded lenses. And u know many of Them will ask u go for higher index lenses even if yr prescription is not that high.. Means the differences 1.56 to 1.71 is only very minor depend on frame size. There is a guide online somewhere.. Thus I know for mine case 1.61 is more then enough. 1.56 is abit thicker only''.

I Believe that you can choose to not patronize those shops that does this kind of service as we all know that it is wrong. And that is why some of us are here to try and give as much advice as we can to you. I post here with the intention to educate and try to prevent as much of this to happen as much as possible. For the elder generation, i guess it's really up to the conscience of salesperson to deal with them.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 06-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: quoting
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #5458
Master Member

optical shop is like sls & lucky plaza, money come 1st

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

I believe this is a sweeping statement. Yes , Shops are open to generate income and of course to earn more money but doesnt that apply to almost everywhere else?

I'm not sure if there are any negative experiences that you encountered in the past , but not all shops are out here to chop carrot head.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #5459
Master Member

Lastly, just to clarify, i do not own any optical shop and just working in a small practice.

Just a small peasant working hard to earn a living.

Annnnd to prevent others from getting chop carrot head.

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 06-05-2019 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: final statement
Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #5460
Supremacy Member

Went down to my favourite JP optician and she recommended Lindberg frames as they can customise everything from frame, bridge, temple, color, etc. But I saw the gold frame costs more than 8k without lenses. Also their titanium range costs $700 excluding lenses too. Any thoughts?
kitsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.