HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree527Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #5611

recently went to my neighbourhood shop looking to replace my 7y/o frame, wanted to get a full rim frame but apparently coz my current one is half rim so that not an option, so the uncle suggest i make a new one, he took a look at my glasses using some machine to check my degree i think and quoted me $20 for the lens and if i wanted to add photochromic function is another $10, after some research and reading abit on tis forum, starting to think maybe i heared wrong or the uncle say wrong eh, wat yall think? the uncle pulling my leg?

one more question, since i wan to change frame im assuming edging is a must?
Tuskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #5612

Based on the masunagas i see in Singapore, I feel its pretty decent. +/- different models price will be slightly different.
ok bro. noted with thanks!
shenjingbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #5613
Master Member

recently went to my neighbourhood shop looking to replace my 7y/o frame, wanted to get a full rim frame but apparently coz my current one is half rim so that not an option, so the uncle suggest i make a new one, he took a look at my glasses using some machine to check my degree i think and quoted me $20 for the lens and if i wanted to add photochromic function is another $10, after some research and reading abit on tis forum, starting to think maybe i heared wrong or the uncle say wrong eh, wat yall think? the uncle pulling my leg?

one more question, since i wan to change frame im assuming edging is a must?
Yes. Highly likely.
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #5614

Digital more ex than progressives? What are its advantages?
rerear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #5615
Master Member

It’s cheaper than progressives, has lesser distortion at the peripheral thus it’s optimal for early presbyopes. Easy to get adapted to so if you transit to progressives, there will be lesser headaches/dizzy sensation.
Consider it a stepping stone before heading to progressives.

Digital more ex than progressives? What are its advantages?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #5616

What shop do u guys recommend for people staying in north east side
MistyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #5617

What shop do u guys recommend for people staying in north east side
🙋

North:

Blk 101 Yishun Ave 5 #01-97 S(760101)
Blk 301 Woodlands St 31 #01-259 S(730301)

East:
Blk 213 Bedok Central #01-127 S(460213)

Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #5618
Supremacy Member

Any opticians here can share the price list for hoya progressive lenses or share a screenshot? I need to plan and do comparisons on which is the most affordable value for $. If you have price lists for other brands of progressive lens, please also share. Thanks in advance.
Seannie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #5619
Supremacy Member

Good Morning!

Depending on your prescription, based on a normal 1.5 index(thickness), a basic pair of lens would cost you from 300onwards, but if reading zone is impt for you then yes, 450 onwards would be more significant. Above average lenses you will be looking at e.g. Zeiss Asiana Progressive series, Hoya Lifestyle V+, Essilor Physio 3.0 series.

Premium tier would be Zeiss Superb(2nd best), Individual 2(best), Hoya Mystyle profile(second best), Mystyle(best)
And essilor X-series(X-design-->X-Track--->Xclusive).
Price range would be from 600 onwards.

Unfortunately, this is what i have been stressing on for awhile here whereby Yes, we can get a progressive(other brands) for a X(cheaper) price, however the quality that comes along with it does make a difference. Once again, there are many shops out there who can sell you cheaper progressives , however based on my experience, i always say, (you pay for what you get) the price is expensive i admit BUT think of it as an investment for the next 2-3 years. The comfort you will get when wearing a better lens will be worth it.

Cheers and hope this helps!
What is the price of Hoya Lifestyle for 1.67 index? Rx prescription with high astig above 300.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #5620
Supremacy Member

You can look at zeiss precision superb and essilor Xtrack. These are similar tiers.
What is the price difference between zeiss precision superb and hoya lifestyle? Do they belong to same tier?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #5621
Supremacy Member

From basic(top) to best(lowest)

Summit series is about 620 onwards
Dynamic series is about 680 onwards(semi-customized)
Lifestyle series range from 820 onwards.(semi-customized)
ID series is about 1000.(fully customized)
Mystyle is about 1750.(fully customized)
(edit:all these are 1.6 index)

All quoted from pricelist. Discount varies from shop to shop.

Each difference in the tier are their Lens design,Soft/Hard which would affect your peripheral distortion, intermediate zone and reading area(wide/narrow)=(need to move head more to read)
Currently using nulux EP single vision. If switch to lower tiered lifestyle series will it be good enough? Reason is because not rich enough to afford the best tier Mystyle because 1.6 index already costs $1,750. What will be the cost for Lifestyle at 1.67 index? I assume should be more than $820?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #5622
High Supremacy Member

Anyone have any idea how much a RB5315 frame only should cost?
skytan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #5623
Supremacy Member

Read somewhere that Lifestyle Balansis is Hoyas new progressive lens, designed to make advanced technologies available for more wearers and incorporates three proven Hoya technologies (View Xpansion, Integrated Double Surface Design and Stable View Enhancer).

Balansis offers: higher levels of visual comfort for a wider audience; improved vision during modern daily activities, e.g. using mobile devices; an easy fitting procedure, with no individual parameters needed.

Is this quite similar to nulux EP where no parameters need to be measured but still offers quite high quality vision?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #5624
Supremacy Member

Its cheaper than progressives, has lesser distortion at the peripheral thus its optimal for early presbyopes. Easy to get adapted to so if you transit to progressives, there will be lesser headaches/dizzy sensation.
Consider it a stepping stone before heading to progressives.
So digital lens will be better than progressive lenses? How long it takes before need to transit to progressive lens? Whats the price like?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #5625
Master Member

Don’t take that. It’s is a slight upgrade from the old Hoya FD which many people feels that it’s not so comfortable. Go with lifestyle V+ would be a better option.

Read somewhere that Lifestyle Balansis is Hoya’s new progressive lens, designed to make advanced technologies available for more wearers and incorporates three proven Hoya technologies (View Xpansion, Integrated Double Surface Design and Stable View Enhancer).

Balansis offers: higher levels of visual comfort for a wider audience; improved vision during modern daily activities, e.g. using mobile devices; an easy fitting procedure, with no individual parameters needed.

Is this quite similar to nulux EP where no parameters need to be measured but still offers quite high quality vision?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.