HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #5656

Hi. I have seen this promotion from Varilux 1 for 1 recently, and went for an online enquiry.

I'm -8.00 /+1.5 on both sides, and was given a quote of 1.8k for the lens with 1.74 index, using the X design. I am wondering, is this a gimmick promo where it also price in the free pair of sun lenses, or indeed this is the price range for such high end lenses? I have never used progressive lenses before, so am sceptical if the cost- benefit ratio justifies it. My naive assumption was progressive lenses would cost in the range of hundreds, so this price range came as a surprise. Any advice from experienced user of the X- Design lenses ?

I have done some reviews and it's generally on the positive side.
xtinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #5657
Master Member

Hi. I have seen this promotion from Varilux 1 for 1 recently, and went for an online enquiry.

I'm -8.00 /+1.5 on both sides, and was given a quote of 1.8k for the lens with 1.74 index, using the X design. I am wondering, is this a gimmick promo where it also price in the free pair of sun lenses, or indeed this is the price range for such high end lenses? I have never used progressive lenses before, so am sceptical if the cost- benefit ratio justifies it. My naive assumption was progressive lenses would cost in the range of hundreds, so this price range came as a surprise. Any advice from experienced user of the X- Design lenses ?

Hi, Yes, Varilux is having this fantastic promotion whereby it is a really good deal especially for your case whereby the degree is so high. So if you purchse a 1.74 X design, your suntint lens will be the same design and index. its almost like 2 for the price of 1... of course you have to purchase the frames there as well.
If you never used progressives before, x design would be a very good starting lens.. Indeed, for people who are purchasing their first pair of progressives, the big price difference can be very distasteful. However, you are going to be wearing it 2/3 of the day and vision and vision comfort is very important so i always advice that it is a worthy investment.
IMHO, go for it won't regret. once you try x design, cant downgrade to cheaper lens... you will feel the difference..
GANGSTERKIA likes this.
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:14 AM   #5658
Supremacy Member

$1.8k for a pair of lens is like so exoensive. Not worth it. I dont know about you but i definitely wont buy it. I also thought few hundreds dollars should be sufficient already. I think i rather dont see so clearly. My honest opinion.
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #5659
Master Member

$1.8k for a pair of lens is like so exoensive. Not worth it. I dont know about you but i definitely wont buy it. I also thought few hundreds dollars should be sufficient already. I think i rather dont see so clearly. My honest opinion.
1,74 and a good grade of lens. to me is worth it. I rather people treasure their sight and vision more
Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #5660

Indeed very expensive. I regretted not going for lasik when I was much younger. The amount of money spent cumulatively on specs is so much than the cost of lasik, with the added intangible inconvenience. But no doubt expensive, it's still important to wear something really comfortable since like what someone commented, one is spending at least 2/3 of time wearing it, akin to the fact that most would spend alot of money on a mattress. It also depends on one's occupation if it's a need or good to have.

Guess what I need to find out really is the cost benefit ratio, but unfortunately only myself can uncover that

Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #5661
Master Member

Hey, by the way you don’t have to necessarily get the X series lenses. Even the comfort series or physio which is cheaper also can entitle to the promo. No matter, this promo like what gardens mention is a 2 for 1 in a way.

Indeed very expensive. I regretted not going for lasik when I was much younger. The amount of money spent cumulatively on specs is so much than the cost of lasik, with the added intangible inconvenience. But no doubt expensive, it's still important to wear something really comfortable since like what someone commented, one is spending at least 2/3 of time wearing it, akin to the fact that most would spend alot of money on a mattress. It also depends on one's occupation if it's a need or good to have.

Guess what I need to find out really is the cost benefit ratio, but unfortunately only myself can uncover that
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #5662
Supremacy Member

I dont really think lasik is good solution either. When you are young you never know how much your eyesight can worsen unless you are sure your eyesight will not change after doing lasik else you will still end up wearing glasses although prescription wont be so high. For me i know im not suitable as i have dry eyes and i wouldnt want my cornea to get thinner as im scared of retina detachment i.e. risk of going totally blind. Dont forget that the risk of eye infections from lasik surgeries may only surface after 20-30 years.

As my power is also very high, more than yours as i also have high astig, i need my glasses 24 hours a day. But getting 1.74 lens is out of my reach even for single vision lens is just too expensive. Been only using 1.67 lens for the past two decades so i think good enough if lower my expectation. I think those $1800 lens you are considering are the highest tiered. Dont forget also lens AR coating tends to diminish after 2 years start to get worn off and need to change every few years!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #5663

Thanks. I did search around but it seems only X has 1.74 with transition. So to go with the promo, my choices are limited. I'm not sure if other series of Varilux be as good without the promo tie up (promo requires transition included if I recall correctly).

Hey, by the way you don’t have to necessarily get the X series lenses. Even the comfort series or physio which is cheaper also can entitle to the promo. No matter, this promo like what gardens mention is a 2 for 1 in a way.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #5664
Master Member

I dont really think lasik is good solution either. When you are young you never know how much your eyesight can worsen unless you are sure your eyesight will not change after doing lasik else you will still end up wearing glasses although prescription wont be so high. For me i know im not suitable as i have dry eyes and i wouldnt want my cornea to get thinner as im scared of retina detachment i.e. risk of going totally blind. Dont forget that the risk of eye infections from lasik surgeries may only surface after 20-30 years.

As my power is also very high, more than yours as i also have high astig, i need my glasses 24 hours a day. But getting 1.74 lens is out of my reach even for single vision lens is just too expensive. Been only using 1.67 lens for the past two decades so i think good enough if lower my expectation. I think those $1800 lens you are considering are the highest tiered. Dont forget also lens AR coating tends to diminish after 2 years start to get worn off and need to change every few years!

you want to consider working in our trade?

Thanks. I did search around but it seems only X has 1.74 with transition. So to go with the promo, my choices are limited. I'm not sure if other series of Varilux be as good without the promo tie up (promo requires transition included if I recall correctly).
Yes, you are correct.
If you don't mind the edge thickness, choose a thicker plastic frame and go for 1.67 can save quite abit as well
if you dont wish to go for the promotion then just go for the clear lenses.. have 1.74 but since they are having the promotion now... it is a really good deal man!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #5665
Master Member

I believe there are many individuals out there that is willing to pay for comfort just that unfortunately you are not one of them yet as they already felt how the less premium lenses is.(clarity, distortions)
You are not wrong at all to feel this way. But lens coating diminishing is totally based on customer way of caring for the lenses as I seen many who can wear their lenses for more than “2 years” but coating is pretty solid still.
There are also individuals who have no alternatives as they want a lens that is light(weight) and can also fit their expectation thus 1.74 is their solution. 1800 might be too much for you but if you are not comfortable with it, you can always go to other tiers of lenses at a more affordable option.
There are many cheaper lenses out there but based on customers subjective preferences, some will be fine with them and some not.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #5666

We have similar design lenses, if not better, at close to half the price with Money Back Guarantee*. PM for more information

*Money Back Guarantee - If you cant adapt to your pair of progressive lenses within 3 days, return the glasses to us to have your money back. ��
Old 11-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #5667
Master Member

There are lenses which cost more than 1.8k for 1.74 and again many individuals who chose it.
But it’s good to be prudent and only choose what you are comfortable with(on your Budget) and expectation has to be managed(most impt). As we seen many that can promise you the sun and moon but when final result out, total disaster.
Cheers!

Old 11-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #5668
Supremacy Member

I guess choosing the Big Three brand should be safe enough? Big Three = Hoya, Carl Zeiss, Essilor. In the past, hoya have the best reputation for progressives, still the case now? I tend to think that zeis and essilor dont produce lens that are as thin as hoya, nikon, seiko even though having same index?
Old 11-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #5669
Supremacy Member

If I remember correct, the Varilux 1 for 1 promotion. For 1.74, the free pair will be 1.67. You gotta check with the optical shop and some shops has extended promotion date despite it ended on 31 May.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #5670
Master Member

Hoya lenses are double aspheric from lifestyle v+ onwards so yes it will be slight thinner. Depending on which Brand too, zeiss aren’t. It will be safe for you!

I guess choosing the Big Three brand should be safe enough? Big Three = Hoya, Carl Zeiss, Essilor. In the past, hoya have the best reputation for progressives, still the case now? I tend to think that zeis and essilor dont produce lens that are as thin as hoya, nikon, seiko even though having same index?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.