The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
X series. X track would be perfect.

Your prescription should be 1.50. But if you choose half frame or frameless, then 1.6. I rarely or would rather not recommend airwear in spite of its higher impact resistance quality.

About the same.

Now the question is if I going to get another glasses for more optical clarity and comfortable viewing, which is a better choice as per below
1) Varilux X series ( not Airwear) or Varilux Physio ( not Airwear) is enough.
2) To opt for 1.5 or 1.6 index ?

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your prescription should be 1.50. But if you choose half frame or frameless, then 1.6. I rarely or would rather not recommend airwear in spite of its higher impact resistance quality.

Why wouldn’t you recommend airwear apart from optical clarity?

kpgworld

Reaction score

Thanks for the recommendation.

I use Airwear because it for safety glasses requirements and oakley for cycling and sport use.

The next glass should be full rim.

Heard that 1.5 index not UV protected and more brittle, is this true ?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It is true that it is more brittle and the uv protection is lesser than the other indexes. But there is still protection.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I use Airwear because it for safety glasses requirements and oakley for cycling and sport use.

The next glass should be full rim.

Heard that 1.5 index not UV protected and more brittle, is this true ?

kpgworld

Reaction score
It is true that it is more brittle and the uv protection is lesser than the other indexes. But there is still protection.

Heard trivex lense has uv protectionis, high impact resistance , had better optical clarity than Polycarbonate lenses.

Which brand have trivex progressive lenses and it prices.

Is it worth getting trivex lenses or just normal index for normal use, occasionally sport use.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hoya has trivex. Their 1.53 index.

I would say 1.50 honestly is enough. Again, depending on how sensitive your eyes is. I generally look at the pros/cons, monetary value and the necessity of the lens for the patient before recommending. Sometimes don’t have to go all out, just an above average lens also would be good enough.

Heard trivex lense has uv protectionis, high impact resistance , had better optical clarity than Polycarbonate lenses.

Which brand have trivex progressive lenses and it prices.

Is it worth getting trivex lenses or just normal index for normal use, occasionally sport use.

kpgworld

Reaction score
Hoya has trivex. Their 1.53 index.

I would say 1.50 honestly is enough. Again, depending on how sensitive your eyes is. I generally look at the pros/cons, monetary value and the necessity of the lens for the patient before recommending. Sometimes don’t have to go all out, just an above average lens also would be good enough.
Thanks for the input.
Any idea which shop does Varilux X track and it RRP for 1.5 index because I think many shops I visit only show me the catalogue of from Varilux Liberty to X Design and it RRP.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I would say 90% of retailers can do x-track.

If you need recommendation then I can always give you some.

Thanks for the input.
Any idea which shop does Varilux X track and it RRP for 1.5 index because I think many shops I visit only show me the catalogue of from Varilux Liberty to X Design and it RRP.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
800 plus if I am not wrong.

You can consider
Eyewear optics@thomson plaza
Kj optometrist@plaza sing
Jamco@katong shopping Center

I can pm you who to look for if needed.

Yes, nice to have some recommendations.

BTW, do u know the RRP for X Track 1.5 index.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was gen 7 for a period of time. Owndays have their older version of transitions and the newer gen which requires a higher top-up value. If you noticed, they are slowly raising their prices too.

If that is the case than I find transition Gen 8 the lens is not as dark as Gen 7 when out in the sun.

Example out in the sun for Gen 7 the lens is dark/black cannot see the eyes but Gen 8 lens still can see the eyes.

Anyone has done such comparing ?

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1-B413-A0-D-F3-FE-4-ECF-9-E78-E42-BF82638-B4.jpg

The left side is higher as u can see. Is this normal ?
I and my father have lopsided ears

Posted from PCWX using M2007J3SG

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I and my father have lopsided ears

Posted from PCWX using M2007J3SG

If i were you, i will go ask optician adjust it such that on the table is balanced and when put on head also balanced. Its very hard to do. Only patient optician will do that. Lopsided usually means wear on your head balanced already. So to solve the lopsided on the table, have to straighten the temples then rebent the curve so that the end part is longer. Anyway involves a lot of twisting and adjsutments. Too much work so alot opticians will just tell you "its like that one lah, sure lopsided, becos your eyes are not balanced etc etc" coz lazy and gaowei mah. If not skilled enough might even break the frame if too much adjustments.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s basically solving one problem and adding another.
When you adjust all balanced, it causes one temple bend to more than the other, also when both temple are closed together on a resting position, the legs will appear as not aligned. You might not be realise or be disturbed it but I seen patients that does. So it’s all about firstly solving the balancing issue followed by managing expectations.
But you are not wrong in your explanation, just wanted to add abit more. Happy cny!

If i were you, i will go ask optician adjust it such that on the table is balanced and when put on head also balanced. Its very hard to do. Only patient optician will do that. Lopsided usually means wear on your head balanced already. So to solve the lopsided on the table, have to straighten the temples then rebent the curve so that the end part is longer. Anyway involves a lot of twisting and adjsutments. Too much work so alot opticians will just tell you "its like that one lah, sure lopsided, becos your eyes are not balanced etc etc" coz lazy and gaowei mah. If not skilled enough might even break the frame if too much adjustments.

TiannaLim

Reaction score
Quick question on prescription

Hi guys
I went to two different shops to get my eyes checked and received different prescriptions:

First shop took a long time, changed a lot of lens
Right: SPH -1.75, CYL -1.00, AXIS 20
Left: SPH -1.50, CYL -1.00, AXIS 168
PD: 66/64

Second shop took my old glasses and started from the old power. The whole exam took 5 mins.
Right: SPH -1.50, CYL -1.25, AXIS 20
Left: SPH -1.25, CYL -1.50, AXIS 150
PD: 63

Which one should I use? Is it theoretically possible to take the average of CYL and AXIS, or would they affect the SPH?

For instance, for the Left eye, can I do:
Left: SPH -1.50, CYL -1.25, AXIS 159

Thank you!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
No. Your astigmatism is more than 100. There is a tolerance of 3 degree at max. Anything more will cost your vision/clarity to be affected especially at night.

I suggest you have a good rest. Head back to the most comfortable place out of the 2, and redo the eye examination.

Hi guys
I went to two different shops to get my eyes checked and received different prescriptions:

Second shop took my old glasses and started from the old power. The whole exam took 5 mins.

Which one should I use? Is it theoretically possible to take the average of CYL and AXIS, or would they affect the SPH?

Thank you!

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s basically solving one problem and adding another.
When you adjust all balanced, it causes one temple bend to more than the other, also when both temple are closed together on a resting position, the legs will appear as not aligned. You might not be realise or be disturbed it but I seen patients that does. So it’s all about firstly solving the balancing issue followed by managing expectations.
But you are not wrong in your explanation, just wanted to add abit more. Happy cny!

Yar you hit the nail hard. Really i had problems when closing the temple legs up. One side will be extra long, its not just the asthetic appearance, its more towards not being able to fit into the spec case. Must look for an extra big spectacle case or box. Alternatively its not to bend the leg too much but then again its the fit that matters eventually i guess.

You not bad leh. Want to kiv you next time my optician retired liao i go look for u okie? Can pm me your contact or not? I promise wont disturb you unless my optician retired or quitted. I took 20yrs to find my current optician. Along the way all CMI in one way or another. Some opticians scold me if i ask them adjust longer than they willing. Will ask me "just wear first, not good come.back again". But when come back again, they give me dirty look as if "why are u back again" :(

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Thank you!

Im not an optician but from my many years of experience as a customer i have the gut feeling that the first shop is more accurate. The second shop tries to decrease SPH and compensate by increasing the CYL.

Usually less 25 SPH is more or less equavalent to increasing 50 CYL for compensation. But i think clarity is more important. If your SPH is really higher than just take higher reading instead of going for compensation. But my guess is the 2nd optician might be trying to reduce your SPH for more comfort reading. I encountered many opticians who like to use this compensation method.

Maybe gangsterkia boss can enlighten observation.

First shop can give you axis 168 is quite detailed checking. Usually lazy ones will just take the rounded figures like 160 or 165 or 170.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.