HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree538Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #6481

Ownday lenses are definitely not as comfortable as branded ones.

But, it should also not cost so much for lenses of the same quality of branded ones. Look out for local brands that make similar quality progressive lenses, but at a lower price point.

Best to find a shop that recommend lenses to you based on your needs.
Do you have example of local brand?
sarduakar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #6482
Master Member

It cost 530, depending, shops will also give discount to you. Some shops do sell it. Do ask your queries here and we can help you with it. Also you can Google miyosmart dims. The 6/48 vision is it correctable with lenses or amblyopia? Considered poor vision for a young child, should get glasses soon. Or it might lead to lazy eyes in future!!

realised that it's not so easy to find which shops in Singapore offers Miyosmart and roughly what's the cost we're looking at.. Interested to further find out more for my 7 year old son, whom recently was diagnosed with 6/48 eyesight (not sure if it's very bad or just normal bad)..
GANGSTERKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #6483
Supremacy Member

User Seannie explained it. Mystyle is under progressives whereas nulux EP would be under single vision.
I have a question, since progressive = 老花 lenses, then is it also the same as bifocals?

Then isn’t bifocals also having multiple “powers” in a single lens, aka “tailored” lens?
ralliart12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #6484
Master Member

Bifocal= bi/two focal/vision, thus you only have 2 vision points which is for far and near.

Multi focal lenses =multi/many focal lenses allows you to see at a variety of ranges thus progressives.

Why are they call progressive is because the degree also progressively reduces/increases(depending if you are a myope or hyperope/short/far sighted) throughout the lenses from TOP down. E.g. top part of lens is -1.00 degree and your lao hua is +2.00 degree, effectively your reading power at the lowest end is +1.00 degree.

Thus if you computer range requires a power of +0.50 degree, the progressive lenses will cover that segment as it is on the way through to the bottom of the lenses e.g. -1.00,-0.50,0,+0.50,+1.00. Thus you notice the power progressively reduces.

*might not reply so fast as I am working atm. Cheers

I have a question, since progressive = 老花 lenses, then is it also the same as bifocals?

Then isn’t bifocals also having multiple “powers” in a single lens, aka “tailored” lens?
Old 19-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #6485
Master Member

It cost 530, depending, shops will also give discount to you. Some shops do sell it. Do ask your queries here and we can help you with it. Also you can Google miyosmart dims. The 6/48 vision is it correctable with lenses or amblyopia? Considered poor vision for a young child, should get glasses soon. Or it might lead to lazy eyes in future!!
My son's scheduled for a follow up check at snec/singhealth in early feb. will they be able to diagnose if his vision is due to myopic or ambblyopia? or if i dn wan to drag it further,would the shops facilitating the miyosmart programs able to also diagnose?
dominicwor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #6486
Supremacy Member

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT
joesph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #6487
Master Member

i bought close to 20 pairs from them... legit ... but if yr san guan above 250 cannot import to singapore. take note... I usually ask to ship to my friend in JB and i collect from them.
Wow...20? That's a lot of spectacles. Good to hear that. Luckily my astigmatism is only 0.25 which is negligible. Thanks!
Darkshadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #6488
Master Member

Is there big difference between the anti blue light coating / transition for a branded lenses and a cheap pair, ie is the higher price worth paying for?
watch a youtube channel talking about"anti blue light coating" which is not relevant helpful to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJY9bgLyBE
foxer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #6489
Master Member

Yes of course! If early feb it be close to next month. Is he already wearing glasses?
And yes, shops that sell miyosmart lenses should be well equipped to handle paediatric patients.

My son's scheduled for a follow up check at snec/singhealth in early feb. will they be able to diagnose if his vision is due to myopic or ambblyopia? or if i dn wan to drag it further,would the shops facilitating the miyosmart programs able to also diagnose?

Last edited by GANGSTERKIA; 19-01-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Old 19-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #6490
Master Member

My humble opinion is that blue light is useful for reducing glare. There are studies which claim that it reduces chance of cataract, macular degeneration and so on. But if you read closely into the articles you will realise that some of them mention the results are still insufficient to state such a claim even though their “particular study” shows blue light filter is good to prevent such diseases.
So unless it’s proven in the articles, I wouldn’t go around telling that it protects your eyes from such diseases.
Also if you are reading such articles, it’s important to cross reference the authors and see if they did publish other articles or just a one-off article. Don’t just read the results section of the article and deem it as it is as the content inside is where you find the answer you are looking for.

watch a youtube channel talking about"anti blue light coating" which is not relevant helpful to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJY9bgLyBE
Old 19-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #6491
Master Member

Yes of course! If early feb it be close to next month. Is he already wearing glasses?
And yes, shops that sell miyosmart lenses should be well equipped to handle paediatric patients.
many thanks bro for the advise rendered! very helpful
dominicwor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #6492

Anyone bought from smartbuyglasses before ? Their frame seems cheaper than retail
Lampard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #6493

Do you have example of local brand?
Cant say much about other brands but so far Mvision has been able to produce Zeiss standard lenses at a much more affordable price point.

We've been using their lenses for a long time & so far our progressive lens fit success rate is almost 100%.
Old 19-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #6494

I am hoping it is less 1k.i dun have my exact prescription. But it is something like this my short sighted degree is around 500. Astigmatism is around 100.
1k budget can easily get you 1.67 index premium tier progressive lenses with frame included 👍
Old 20-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #6495
Master Member

My existing lens coating is running out. Need to do new progressive lens.

This is my present lens data
R SpH-6.25 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9
L SpH-6.00 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9

Index 1.67

What will be the lens cost for Hoya Dynamic premium and Lifestyle Balansis?
And what is the different these 2 lens?

Any recommended shop?

Last edited by therat; 20-01-2020 at 11:35 PM..
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.