The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

nomoneynotalk

Reaction score
Hi, I saw there is on-going promotion from lenskart online. They offer 2 frames for $98 with blue light lens. A quick google search shows this is a company from India. I wonder how good is the quality since the price is so cheap. Does anyone know about this shop can please share me your review? Is there any good alternative besides this? Thanks in advance.

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I saw there is on-going promotion from lenskart online. They offer 2 frames for $98 with blue light lens. A quick google search shows this is a company from India. I wonder how good is the quality since the price is so cheap. Does anyone know about this shop can please share me your review? Is there any good alternative besides this? Thanks in advance.
Din patronise them before but I guess it's similar to those "frame + lens for $89" promotions.
Unbranded frames + unbranded 1.50/1.55 lens. Personally, will only go for it if my prescription is low and it will be a spare glasses

koster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am quite keen to pull the trigger for their Rodenstock stock progressive lens and frames. 2 sets for abt $800 which is quite good value for money i think. Not sure abt the quality though.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, unfortunately for progressives, there will hardly be something that is cheap and good. Just have to lower our expectations when you use such lenses and don’t expect to have wide peripheral vision and it will all be fine.
In a way, we pay for what we get.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, unfortunately for progressives, there will hardly be something that is cheap and good. Just have to lower our expectations when you use such lenses and don’t expect to have wide peripheral vision and it will all be fine.
In a way, we pay for what we get.
Actually i find it rather unfathomable that there are so many people willing to compromise the clarity of their eyesight in getting those cheap progressives. I thought being able to see clearly if we are able to do so is one of the most important aspect of health? More important than having a nice car, nice house.

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Actually i find it rather unfathomable that there are so many people willing to compromise the clarity of their eyesight in getting those cheap progressives. I thought being able to see clearly if we are able to do so is one of the most important aspect of health? More important than having a nice car, nice house.
Who dun want to save money? There are ppl who have financial constraints too. Also, some ppl are not really affected by the clarity issue, at least for single vision lens. Lastly, diminishing returns. Dun have to get the best, just get the one which is comfortable enough

xii_Wufei

Reaction score
Hi Gangeterkia
Can you recommend/pm which shop to buy Ziess Office lens.
West area prefer and I have my own frame. ty :D

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Who dun want to save money? There are ppl who have financial constraints too. Also, some ppl are not really affected by the clarity issue, at least for single vision lens. Lastly, diminishing returns. Dun have to get the best, just get the one which is comfortable enough
Talking about progressives na. Not single vision lens. SV no issues. Progressives, like gangsterkia said, need at least $1k minimum then can see wide and sides not blur mah. For sports or leisure casual then probably just cheap progressives la. But for serious work and need certain extent of visual demands, i think at least one pair of mid-tier progressives. Only beyond that, then returns might start to diminish.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
The 1k one
Talking about progressives na. Not single vision lens. SV no issues. Progressives, like gangsterkia said, need at least $1k minimum then can see wide and sides not blur mah. For sports or leisure casual then probably just cheap progressives la. But for serious work and need certain extent of visual demands, i think at least one pair of mid-tier progressives. Only beyond that, then returns might start to diminish.
The higher priced progressives are really more comfortable, but like user peace mentioned, sometimes no choice work within our budget. That said, I am sure and seen many individuals are happy with 400-500 lenses progressives, even 200-300 plus too. It’s a matter of managing their expectations. Some individuals must die die have the better and pricier lenses as their eyes are more sensitive, others might find the basic or average ones good enough.
Not a hard and fast rule to go 1k range, but yes, 1k range lenses tends to be more comfortable due to wider zone and lesser distortion.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangeterkia
Can you recommend/pm which shop to buy Ziess Office lens.
West area prefer and I have my own frame. ty :D
I will just share it over here for the benefit of the others too, you can consider going to Mr Eyewear to do up the office lens.
I would personally recommend jamco@katong, kj optometrists@plaza sing ,eyewear optics or first contact lens(both at Thomson Plaza). But if you need a specific person to look for then I can pm you then.

gabriel_ro

Reaction score
Any idea for the Singapore UV index/weather which photochromatic lenses will get the darkest outside.
Essilor Transition 8 Xtractive
Zeiss PhotoFusion Extra Grey
Hoya Sensity Dark

Among those three, which one is the clearest in the interior?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The 1k one

The higher priced progressives are really more comfortable, but like user peace mentioned, sometimes no choice work within our budget. That said, I am sure and seen many individuals are happy with 400-500 lenses progressives, even 200-300 plus too. It’s a matter of managing their expectations. Some individuals must die die have the better and pricier lenses as their eyes are more sensitive, others might find the basic or average ones good enough.
Not a hard and fast rule to go 1k range, but yes, 1k range lenses tends to be more comfortable due to wider zone and lesser distortion.
Ok paiseh to peace bro then. Thought need at least $1k progressives to see well. Probably just a matter of whether to upgrade to "luxury" bah or normal also good enough to function.

Forgive me @GANGSTERKIA @peaceheart

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Ok paiseh to peace bro then. Thought need at least $1k progressives to see well. Probably just a matter of whether to upgrade to "luxury" bah or normal also good enough to function.
Forgive me
@GANGSTERKIA
@peaceheart

No worries. You are not wrong too, I'm not even offended haha

I used to go for branded too in the past. Have the mentality expensive = good/best. Nowadays I go for budget ones. Maybe my tolerance level is higher, single vision luckily. Currently using Apollo and Hi Top. Frames also buy online, Oakley and rayban

Last edited:

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Any idea for the Singapore UV index/weather which photochromatic lenses will get the darkest outside.
Hoya Sensity Dark

I duno which one is darkest but I think all 3 will have slight tint even indoors.
Have to wait for gangster's reply

nethdale

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, what is your personal view on this American brand, Thom Browne as compared to Lindberg? Heard its titanium is Made in Japan. Care to share and thank you.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hoya Sensity Dark

This is just by my personal experience
Indoor clarity
Zeiss
Hoya
Essilor

outdoor
Hoya
Zeiss
Essilor

take it with a pinch of salt, it applies to me and my patient experience. Others might feel differently.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, what is your personal view on this American brand, Thom Browne as compared to Lindberg? Heard its titanium is Made in Japan. Care to share and thank you.
I personally would classify it together with Moscot, starck, Porsche design. Working class, quite professional but not to Lindberg, icb, Markus t, mykita kind of tier. Either way, the quality is there for TB and if you fancy a certain model, can always consider it since it’s cheaper than the pricier tier that we mentioned. Just that Iirc, TB frames are heavier, so if you are used to Lindberg, hopefully you are not sensitive enough and can take the weight of TB.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.