The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

mackrazy

Reaction score
Hello wise ones!
For a pair of progressives for office use, is there a particular brand to go for?
For the regular use progressives, Im thinking of the Hoya my style.
Would anyone know the rough costs for the lenses?

Thank you.

Dotz123

Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any opinions on the trae + horn series vs just the horn.

I see the horn series being discussed extensively here but not the trae + horn.

Sorry if I may have missed out any relevant post.

Kavairs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone buy from smartbuyglasses.com before? How is their in house lens?

Any optics store to recommend in the west? I have some backup spectacles to update their lens....any recommendations?

My prescription is R - 8.00 & L -7.25. For pentax 1.74, what is the price range normally?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any opinions on the trae + horn series vs just the horn.

I see the horn series being discussed extensively here but not the trae + horn.

Sorry if I may have missed out any relevant post.
Hi there,

personally I don’t like the wooden texture, and I feel the wood is more feeble compared to the horn or unica horn.
If the wood gets into excessive contact with perspiration or water, I am just afraid as it is/might be porous, it will get damaged over time.
*take my opinion with a pinch of salt haha

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone buy from smartbuyglasses.com before? How is their in house lens?

Any optics store to recommend in the west? I have some backup spectacles to update their lens....any recommendations?

My prescription is R - 8.00 & L -7.25. For pentax 1.74, what is the price range normally?
Hi,
Iirc in a range of 250-280 for their 1.74 index.

nethdale

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,
Recently I notice this Tavat frames. It seems nice to me. Unlike Lindberg, this is mass produced and their marketing strategy seems using limited edition to entice customers? Was told it is heavier as compared to Lindberg. Can share you expert’s view? Thanks.

packets

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone wearing polycarbonate lens for ball sports? Wondering if it is alot more resistant than normal plastic

Also any recommendations for polycarbonate lens and frames? Am considering oakley (flak jacket + poly lens) but there is'nt any local price reference online

Thanks alot!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,
Recently I notice this Tavat frames. It seems nice to me. Unlike Lindberg, this is mass produced and their marketing strategy seems using limited edition to entice customers? Was told it is heavier as compared to Lindberg. Can share you expert’s view? Thanks.
Hey,
Unfortunately no. The only place in spore carrying the brand right now is jamco if I am not wrong. I have not gone down to see the frame yet. Maybe in the near future.. they have the European/Antique kind of vibe to me.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone wearing polycarbonate lens for ball sports? Wondering if it is alot more resistant than normal plastic

Also any recommendations for polycarbonate lens and frames? Am considering oakley (flak jacket + poly lens) but there is'nt any local price reference online

Thanks alot!
They are more impact resistant but is there a reason why you wouldn’t want to wear contact lenses for ball sports?
You can’t find the price online for Oakley sunglasses prescription lenses. Oakley also has a limit of -4.00. Anything more than that, you can’t do or else it cost a huge bomb. You have to look at other labs, Essilor, ICRX does their customise Oakley lenses.

anodize

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

I tried the Tavat frames at Jamco recently. The moment I picked up the frame, the weight itself is very obvious.
My current pair is lindberg so I can feel the weight difference distinctively.

Eggroe

Reaction score
Hi,

Am looking for a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses.
Am just wondering how come my neighborhood optician can quote a lower price than RRP.

Most shops sells for $260. However, this neighborhood shop is quoting circa $140 excluding the frame for crizal transitions (gen8) .

At the same time, am looking at silhoutte frames. Any comments on the brand and if it is suitable for a house with children?

The same shop is also quoting at $290 per pair. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am looking for a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses.
Am just wondering how come my neighborhood optician can quote a lower price than RRP.

Most shops sells for $260. However, this neighborhood shop is quoting circa $140 excluding the frame for crizal transitions (gen8) .

At the same time, am looking at silhoutte frames. Any comments on the brand and if it is suitable for a house with children?

The same shop is also quoting at $290 per pair. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
Hi , I have my reservations if it is crizal 1.5 transitions gen 8 for only 140. I hope I am wrong but I believe you are being quoted for their sister brand OSS lenses.but just to check Did you clarify fully?

Eggroe

Reaction score
Hi , I have my reservations if it is crizal 1.5 transitions gen 8 for only 140. I hope I am wrong but I believe you are being quoted for their sister brand OSS lenses.but just to check Did you clarify fully?
Hi, I did check again because it sounded too good to be true!
It even comes with the card from crizal apparently.

Side question, OSS lenses coating is not as good presumably?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I did check again because it sounded too good to be true!
It even comes with the card from crizal apparently.

Side question, OSS lenses coating is not as good presumably?
If that is the case then by all means go for it. It’s really very very cheap.
Yes to your second question and clarity is not as sharp. It is alright to individual with high tolerance for clarity.

Eggroe

Reaction score
If that is the case then by all means go for it. It’s really very very cheap.
Yes to your second question and clarity is not as sharp. It is alright to individual with high tolerance for clarity.
Thanks a lot Gangsterkia.

But it's strange that they can offer such pricing below RRP.

Anyway, what do you think about silhouette branded frames? Is it kid-friendly (ie tough enough to withstand knocks by children)?

The shop is also selling it quite cheaply at $290 for the frames.

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Gangsterkia.

But it's strange that they can offer such pricing below RRP.

Anyway, what do you think about silhouette branded frames? Is it kid-friendly (ie tough enough to withstand knocks by children)?

The shop is also selling it quite cheaply at $290 for the frames.
silhouette frames just $290? rimless or full frame?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Both types are on offer for the same price. Perhaps old stock?
That is a possibility but again, very good price… I think other forumers here can pm him if you prefer sil frames. Very good price for frame and lens. But majority of sil frames are nylon/half/no frame design even if it looks like full frame, and that means you have to top up to make it high index.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.