The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

upsndowns

Reaction score
hi guys, i’m interested in ray-ban frame and have some questions:

- any recommendations to buy cheap frames?
- i have existing lenses already, can i replace them on my new frames assuming size fits? any shops that have this service?

TIA

Eggroe

Reaction score
pls sic shop thks
Let me check further first before sharing the name.
Dont want to share wrong info 😉
That is a possibility but again, very good price… I think other forumers here can pm him if you prefer sil frames. Very good price for frame and lens. But majority of sil frames are nylon/half/no frame design even if it looks like full frame, and that means you have to top up to make it high index.
Thanks for your feedback gangsterkia. Very helpful.

I tried Lindberg as well. Was very impressed by the flexibility and its lightweight. But alas, too much of a stretch for me. Especially cannot reason spending so much when my short-sightedness is ~100 ish with astig. Haha

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Gangsterkia.

But it's strange that they can offer such pricing below RRP.

Anyway, what do you think about silhouette branded frames? Is it kid-friendly (ie tough enough to withstand knocks by children)?

The shop is also selling it quite cheaply at $290 for the frames.
Hi, I feel quite astonished to know about the price. Is it before discount too?
Also, unfortunately they are not kid friendly. Kid friendly frames are like Lindberg RIM series, swissflex.. I lean towards the Lindberg rim though.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i’m interested in ray-ban frame and have some questions:

- any recommendations to buy cheap frames?
- i have existing lenses already, can i replace them on my new frames assuming size fits? any shops that have this service?

TIA
Hi
Do you refer to Cheap normal frames? Or cheap rayban frames?
It’s usually not recommended to do that, firstly due to the frame for, certain frames will sit closer to your face, the vertex distance plays a part in the comfort of the glasses. For individuals who are more sensitive, it could cause them to have headaches.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help. I just went to get a pair of glasses done at Foptics. I've not worn glasses for > 20 years. Don't know how to read the prescription. I did Google and found some answers but still have a few queries.

I understand that in the column under 'sphere' PL means my left eye has 'perfect' eyesight? With a +0.25 for my right eye, it means that I have far-sightedness? is +0.25 too minor to 'correct' aka wear glasses? I went to get the glasses cos I couldn't see words/text that are too near/close.

I have had astigmatism for the longest time ever and didn't bother 'correcting' it as it didn't hinder/bother in my daily life. This is under 'cylinder'?

Just wanna know if I interpreted the readings/prescription correctly. Are these too minor to be 'corrected' aka wear glasses?

foptics.jpg

P/S: I got a really cheap pair as I didn't think I'll need anything more for my current vision issues. I got this pair for $35.90.

upsndowns

Reaction score
Hi
Do you refer to Cheap normal frames? Or cheap rayban frames?
It’s usually not recommended to do that, firstly due to the frame for, certain frames will sit closer to your face, the vertex distance plays a part in the comfort of the glasses. For individuals who are more sensitive, it could cause them to have headaches.
hi, cheap rayban frames. sorry to confuse.

so base on your recommendation, its better to get the frame and lenses together?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, cheap rayban frames. sorry to confuse.

so base on your recommendation, its better to get the frame and lenses together?
Yeah it’s much better to get a new pair altogether. Rayban price are pretty fixed but I do know eyewear optics@thomson plaza selling at cheaper price.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Need some help. I just went to get a pair of glasses done at Foptics. I've not worn glasses for > 20 years. Don't know how to read the prescription. I did Google and found some answers but still have a few queries.

I understand that in the column under 'sphere' PL means my left eye has 'perfect' eyesight? With a +0.25 for my right eye, it means that I have far-sightedness? is +0.25 too minor to 'correct' aka wear glasses? I went to get the glasses cos I couldn't see words/text that are too near/close.

I have had astigmatism for the longest time ever and didn't bother 'correcting' it as it didn't hinder/bother in my daily life. This is under 'cylinder'?

Just wanna know if I interpreted the readings/prescription correctly. Are these too minor to be 'corrected' aka wear glasses?

foptics.jpg

P/S: I got a really cheap pair as I didn't think I'll need anything more for my current vision issues. I got this pair for $35.90.
Your distance power for right eye is slightly hyperopic/far sighted at 25 degrees. Astigmatism is -1.00 at 160 axis.
Left distance is Plano/perfect with an astigmatism of -0.50 at axis 10.
Near is +0.75. This pair of glasses is for your computer? I assume you are between 35-40?

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your distance power for right eye is slightly hyperopic/far sighted at 25 degrees. Astigmatism is -1.00 at 160 axis.
Left distance is Plano/perfect with an astigmatism of -0.50 at axis 10.
Near is +0.75. This pair of glasses is for your computer? I assume you are between 35-40?
Thanks!

This means my right eye hyperopic power is 25 and left is 75?

I don't believe in the 'blue' lens.

This pair of glasses is for work and when using the laptop and reading. I had a really bad eye infection a year ago and was wondering if it sorted of affected my sight. After the infection cleared, I sort of keep having 'blur' or rather slightly clouded vision on and off. But this could also be the effect of my long-term usage of Anarex. I've stopped taking Anarex for about a month before the eye sight test today.

I'm slightly above 40.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

This pair of glasses is for work and when using the laptop and reading. I had a really bad eye infection a year ago and was wondering if it sorted of affected my sight. After the infection cleared, I sort of keep having 'blur' or rather slightly clouded vision on and off. But this could also be the effect of my long-term usage of Anarex. I've stopped taking Anarex for about a month before the eye sight test today.

I'm slightly above 40.
Right is +0.25 left is 0.00. Plano means 0 degree, but we usually term is as Plano. ADD power signifies your laohua/presbyopia. In this way it means both eye is +0.75 lao hua. The resultant power of your your lenses is R +1.00 and left +0.75( obtained by combining the add power and sph power excluding cylinder power).

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm slightly above 40.
Blue light lenses do help if you use the computer for long hours(at least for me). I prefer about 20-30% blue light filter. Not too yellowish but still can see the yellowish hue slightly.

Soony Ong

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, how much does the Linberg horn series cost? I was told at Paris Miki Bishan Junction 8, its priced from $1800 onwards although only Tampines branch carries it. If horns + Hoya 3 anti -fatigues lense with blue coating at 350 degree, how much is the estimated price?

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Was quoted $450 for KODAK City Lens with a titanium frame. Is it tio carrot liao? :s13::s13:

1.67 index lens
600 degree 75 Astigma L
550 degree 275 Astigma R

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, how much does the Linberg horn series cost? I was told at Paris Miki Bishan Junction 8, its priced from $1800 onwards although only Tampines branch carries it. If horns + Hoya 3 anti -fatigues lense with blue coating at 350 degree, how much is the estimated price?
Depending on which year horn you choose, the earlier ones cost lesser… you are looking at EST 2.2-2.4k. Hopefully you can get more discount from them! There are Afew horn retailers for Lindberg. Even though a shop sells Lindberg, not everyone is eligible to carry the horn.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi! Was quoted $450 for KODAK City Lens with a titanium frame. Is it tio carrot liao? :s13::s13:

1.67 index lens
600 degree 75 Astigma L
550 degree 275 Astigma R
Hey there,
Your prescription quite high(thus high index lenses used) also if it’s an antifatigue lens(city). Actually price quite reasonable.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Where to make simple prescibed sunglass lenses? Heartland shops are fine.

Thanks!
This is tough. Some places sells the lenses for only like 40 per pair, some 30, some 50…I can’t help you on this unless you need recommendation for shops but.. might be costlier than the ones in your neighbourhood.

best is to shop hop and check..

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe it's this lens the optician recommended. KODAK City Lens

Is this a good pair of lens for someone who's always on the screen?
It is an antifatigue lenses, so yeah , it will be helpful. The lower portion of the lens have the power reduced to relax your eye muscle. E.g. you are -2.00 myopia, the bottom of the lens is -1.50.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.