The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

adgjl321

Reaction score
do lens price differ a lot between shops? was quoted $260 for 1.67 Zeiss lens (normal one, non-blue light)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
do lens price differ a lot between shops? was quoted $260 for 1.67 Zeiss lens (normal one, non-blue light)
It woulnt differ by too much. for single vision lens maybe about 20-30 dollars difference unless the shop really wants your sales and they might go lower(but dont count on it too much)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

Hi there, no problem .

i am keen to get Zesis Smartlife as recommend by friend and also due to age. However my degree is very high 600-750. I try at few optical shop with different advise. Some don’t have them in 1.74, some have, some say need special equipment to measure for customers but they were not given. This got me really confused. If you can advise me , it be good.

Separately are there other similar products by different brand which lenses are as good n clear as Zesis. I been using Zsesis n my last pair was EnergizeMe. If have what are your recommendations In 1.74.

Thank you
Hi,

Do you mind sharing with me your age too?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangketerkia, care to share how a person with 500-600 myopia transitioning to wearing progressive lens? Their main concern is would he fall down or trip during the transition period. Next, would you recommend he falls back on wearing his usual myopia specs when doing sports? I know it is kind of funny despite our brain maybe fast to adapt, it is highly discouraged and defeats the purpose of making a progressive lens? I can probably suggest to my friend is to go for good and established brands and opt for a "wider view " for the lens? Thanks.
Hey, i personally feel a person who is more myopic, will adapt better than a person who is hyperopic when it comes to progressive lenses. In terms of adapting, i would say if you are myopic, it will be more natural/easier to get used to. Below is an example,

Mainly being if you are myopic e.g. -4.00D, with an addition/presbyopia of +2.00, the resultant power would be -2.00 at the bottom of the lenses(thus still Myopic in that sense) , However if you are Hyperopic e.g. +4.00 with a +2.00 addition/presbyopia, it would be significantly harder to adapt. Because as i use to mentioned, the higher your addition/presbyopia/more (+), the more distortion you might face thus feeling more dizzy, uncomfortable.

If your presbyopia is not that high then yes you can wear a normal myopia specs, but if you do sports like Golf,etc. Putting and then recording score card, you have to switch between your glasses or lifting up your glasses and writing the score(hassle). Can be done but... worth to go through the trouble? Weight the pros and cons..

I would Suggest a safe one to start could be e.g. Hoya Lifestyle 3, Essilor Physio, Zeiss Precision Asiana/Plus.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Need some advice regarding prescription sunglasses.
Am always keen to get a good pair of sunglasses that suits my face but my problem is that i have quite high myopia and astig (myopia prob in the 700 - 800 degrees astig 200 or so).
For those with myopia and do wear sunglasses, what do you usually do? wear contacts and then normal sunglasses? Nt v used to contacts myself...
Anyone of you go for prescription sunglasses? If so do you know if any shops do one for high degree? I asked Rayban before they say they don't have anything for my degree level...
Hey ,
like user Nethdale mentioned, most places if you use their company lenses e.g. raybans/oakleys, they have a fixed power range usually up to -4.00.
There are certain labs that are able to cater to your power but your lenses will be very thick and heavy. Sunglasses frame itself usually are quite big to shield our eyes, imaging the weight of the lenses on it, if you choose a frame with nosepads, it might work but there might be some pressure at your nosebridge. If you choose those sunglasses that have fixed on nosepads/close to face, it will slide alot and because its so close to your face with high prescription, there's a possibility of the extreme edge of your lenses being in contact with your cheekbone. Because when you have high myopia, your lenses get EVEN THICKER towards the edge/corner of the lenses.
Thus some might as you mentioned, wear a CL first then Sunglasses over.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
@GANGSTERKIA and the pros
Would need some pro advice from the professionals aka experts on this thread pls.
1) I need progressive transition lens due to age
2) I have tried a few optical shops but have been mainly using Owndays products (even their Prestige Progressive range with transition). Most of the time, the vision will become blur after 18 months or so. Each pair costs me about 400-600 SGD.
3) Right now, I need another pair as the previous one is giving blur vision again.
4) The progressive transition lens I need is used when I am not sitting in front of a computer or laptop (I have another part of computer lens for that). Most of the time, this pair of progressive transition lens is for my daily routine activities. I don't wear it for sports neither.
5) could someone recommend me some good advice on the lens (brand, details and etc) that can hopefully last me for more than 24 months within a budget of $300 pls. I will probably be re-using my old frame.
6) Also pls advise which shop is good to get the recommended lens (i can travel around SG but i stay in the west).

Thanks in advance. Gum xia sekali. :)
Lolo
Hi there,
For this i have to cut straight to the point. Firstly, if you are wearing progressive lenses from brand O,L, etc, you know how it feels. Thus if you want to even get another lenses that is cheaper and give you better quality, sorry i think its really really difficult. The Higher your reading power, the more distortion, lesser reading area you will experience. So if you go for a cheaper/lower quality lenses, it will not solve your issue.
I advice you to get a better lens like you mentioned 24months?
Consider Hoya Lifestyle 3/Mystyle profile
Essilor Physio/X-design
Zeiss Precision Plus/Asian Or Precision Superb.

adgjl321

Reaction score
It woulnt differ by too much. for single vision lens maybe about 20-30 dollars difference unless the shop really wants your sales and they might go lower(but dont count on it too much)
understood! will go to 1 of those shops that you recommended. also, is it ok to bring my own frame (that the shop dont have) for them to fit the lens? assume that'll go fine?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I am also looking for recommendation at the West, for high degree prescription digital lenses. Any good shops with better discount? Please recommend. TIA.
apologies I am not too familiarized with shops in the west! Maybe others might know!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I am also looking for recommendation at the West, for high degree prescription digital lenses. Any good shops with better discount? Please recommend. TIA.
apologies I am not too familiarized with shops in the west! Maybe others might know!

nethdale

Reaction score
Hey, i personally feel a person who is more myopic, will adapt better than a person who is hyperopic when it comes to progressive lenses. In terms of adapting, i would say if you are myopic, it will be more natural/easier to get used to. Below is an example,

Mainly being if you are myopic e.g. -4.00D, with an addition/presbyopia of +2.00, the resultant power would be -2.00 at the bottom of the lenses(thus still Myopic in that sense) , However if you are Hyperopic e.g. +4.00 with a +2.00 addition/presbyopia, it would be significantly harder to adapt. Because as i use to mentioned, the higher your addition/presbyopia/more (+), the more distortion you might face thus feeling more dizzy, uncomfortable.

If your presbyopia is not that high then yes you can wear a normal myopia specs, but if you do sports like Golf,etc. Putting and then recording score card, you have to switch between your glasses or lifting up your glasses and writing the score(hassle). Can be done but... worth to go through the trouble? Weight the pros and cons..

I would Suggest a safe one to start could be e.g. Hoya Lifestyle 3, Essilor Physio, Zeiss Precision Asiana/Plus.
Hi Gangstkeria, thank you so much. I shall share with my friend. Hoya Lifestyle 3 RRP is already almost $1200+ if opt for 1.67 index and still exclude frame. Ha

Separately, you mentioned in one of the above chat, "the higher the reading power".. may I know how high can it goes up? Thanks.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangstkeria, thank you so much. I shall share with my friend. Hoya Lifestyle 3 RRP is already almost $1200+ if opt for 1.67 index and still exclude frame. Ha

Separately, you mentioned in one of the above chat, "the higher the reading power".. may I know how high can it goes up? Thanks.
Most or if not all should go up to +3.50. But rarely does someone require +3.50. Majority would be at +2.50. (Subjective)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
understood! will go to 1 of those shops that you recommended. also, is it ok to bring my own frame (that the shop dont have) for them to fit the lens? assume that'll go fine?
Yes it will be fine, do remember to call and make an appt first.

lolo1972sg

Reaction score
Hi there,
For this i have to cut straight to the point. Firstly, if you are wearing progressive lenses from brand O,L, etc, you know how it feels. Thus if you want to even get another lenses that is cheaper and give you better quality, sorry i think its really really difficult. The Higher your reading power, the more distortion, lesser reading area you will experience. So if you go for a cheaper/lower quality lenses, it will not solve your issue.
I advice you to get a better lens like you mentioned 24months?
Consider Hoya Lifestyle 3/Mystyle profile
Essilor Physio/X-design
Zeiss Precision Plus/Asian Or Precision Superb.
Actually, i don't mind paying more just so that I would not have to change my specs every 12 months or so (and if i have to change specs every 12 months or so, it would mean my eyes are deteriorating due to the lens .... and age maybe). So, yes, i think Hoya Lifestyle 3 is ok? Mind sharing which shop to go to (near hougang) and the range for a pair of progressive lens using Hoya Lifestyle 3 (i read that the RP is about 1.2k?) pls?
Tks in advance.

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please recommend a good brand for eyewear.

Main concern is lightweight and durable can tahan falling/dropping.

Went to try out mykita round shaped. Liked the design and weight but it is definitely not durable.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, i have PM u
Good morning, ps I missed it out. You could stick with the Zeiss series lenses that your friend recommended you.
Other options would be like
1)hoya lifestyle 3
2)Essilor x design

this would be comfortable lenses for a start in progressives.

Spongebob79

Reaction score
Good morning, ps I missed it out. You could stick with the Zeiss series lenses that your friend recommended you.
Other options would be like
1)hoya lifestyle 3
2)Essilor x design

this would be comfortable lenses for a start in progressives.
Hi, Gangstkia, which would u recommend? Or is it all roughly the same ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.