The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Optometrist

Reaction score
Hi Optometrist,

If everything remains the same (1.67 index lenes, diameter etc) but different in the brand (e.g Eyezen & those normal lenses with green light/filter) will there be any different in the thickness ?

If yes, which one will be more thick ? Eyezen or those normal lenses with green light/filter ?

Thanks

Usually Same index = same thickness.

However certain change in parameters would also affect the thickness:
Center thickness
Lens base curve
Lens surfacing

If the above is constant, then same index would be same thickness

Certain optical chain store is infamous for using very flat lens with thin center thickness to get very thin lenses. But making it thin this way comes with a price.
Making Center thickness too thin causes the lens to warp easily (Wavy effect)
Making it too flat gives a fishbowl effect (giddy)

Last edited:

jhtan85

Reaction score
Hi all,

anyone willing to share your experiences at the usual recommended shops over here (Jamco, KJ, Eyewear Optics, First Eyewear etc) on how they conduct eye checks?

I am wondering if some do more detailed eye checks or use special equipment than the others..

anarchiesct

Reaction score
Hey there!
That’s good to know! Generally for rounder faces I would tend to recommend rectangular frames and are more edgier/angular at the side.
happy to hear that they managed to serve you well too!

Hi there!
Sure I will pm you the location and optometrists to look for 👍
Hi,
Mind sharing them with me as well? Thanx

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

anyone willing to share your experiences at the usual recommended shops over here (Jamco, KJ, Eyewear Optics, First Eyewear etc) on how they conduct eye checks?

I am wondering if some do more detailed eye checks or use special equipment than the others..
Hey ,
You can try using google keywords with spectacle thread. There are Afew feedbacks for the practices.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, where to buy titanium frame eg. Seiko/IC Berlin/etc? Either shops or online?

Thanks!
Jamco optical at katong shopping center Carries these frames that you mentioned.. even Lindberg,mykita, Dita and other series of titanium frame.

griphon

Reaction score
Hi, i just made a pair of specs and i just took the recommendations of the shop. They work really well and i like them alot. Just wondering what the codes on the lens card mean. Would really appreciate if anyone could help me. Lens are by hoya. Thanks

LENS DATA
Lens Name MPS150BA-HSS S5G HVLL BC UVC ABC
R Sph- 1.00 cy1-1.75 AX85
ADD1.00
PD 35.0
EP 23.0
INSET 1.97
Anti-bacterial Coat
Reference Power: Sph - 0.82 cyl -1.73 Ax 83

Lens Name
MPS150BA-HS5 S5G HVLL BC UVC ABC
L Sph- 1.00 Cyl-1.00 AX85
ADD1.00
PD 35.0
EP 23.0
INSET 2.04
Anti-bacterial Coat

Reference Power : Sph - 0.83 cyl -0.98 Ax 89

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, i just made a pair of specs and i just took the recommendations of the shop. They work really well and i like them alot. Just wondering what the codes on the lens card mean. Would really appreciate if anyone could help me. Lens are by hoya. Thanks

LENS DATA
Lens Name MPS150BA-HSS S5G HVLL BC UVC ABC
R Sph- 1.00 cy1-1.75 AX85
ADD1.00
PD 35.0
EP 23.0
INSET 1.97
Anti-bacterial Coat
Reference Power: Sph - 0.82 cyl -1.73 Ax 83

Lens Name
MPS150BA-HS5 S5G HVLL BC UVC ABC
L Sph- 1.00 Cyl-1.00 AX85
ADD1.00
PD 35.0
EP 23.0
INSET 2.04
Anti-bacterial Coat

Reference Power : Sph - 0.83 cyl -0.98 Ax 89
Hey there,
1.50 index mystyle profile stable design with sensity and full control.

talonn

Reaction score
Jamco optical at katong shopping center Carries these frames that you mentioned.. even Lindberg,mykita, Dita and other series of titanium frame.
Thanks! May I know what are the price ranges for seiko titanium? Not really familiar with the brand and this will be my first titanium.

Any other recommendations for entry level titanium frame? Preferably square/rectangular shape

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks! May I know what are the price ranges for seiko titanium? Not really familiar with the brand and this will be my first titanium.

Any other recommendations for entry level titanium frame? Preferably square/rectangular shape
Oh, Seiko has those shapes that you are looking for.
Price range is about 160 onwards..
Eyewear Optics at Thomson Plaza also Carry a lot of such frame design that you are looking for and Seiko too.

rider83

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it still worth it to buy frames in US? I am looking to replace my work specs and sunglasses, thinking to get them in US

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it still worth it to buy frames in US? I am looking to replace my work specs and sunglasses, thinking to get them in US
The frames may/might be cheaper in some cases but if there’s any issues in future.. the replacing factor or repairing might be an issue if Singapore do not have the brand.

Optometrist

Reaction score

If you're looking for plastic frames, just make sure it sits nicely on your nose, US plastic specs are not asian fit, unless your nose bridge is high, otherwise it would be an issue (y)

rider83

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for plastic frames, just make sure it sits nicely on your nose, US plastic specs are not asian fit, unless your nose bridge is high, otherwise it would be an issue (y)

Since u pointed this out, I notice some frames I wear, it does not fit my face properly. Any advice for this?

Optometrist

Reaction score
Since u pointed this out, I notice some frames I wear, it does not fit my face properly. Any advice for this?

Gotta understand the type of nose you have, everyone's different. If your nose is the traditional asian type, you'll probably need to have spectacles that have metal nose pads, if plastic frames, then with asian fitting. (Its an extended part of nose support to bring the spectacles away from the face)

rider83

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gotta understand the type of nose you have, everyone's different. If your nose is the traditional asian type, you'll probably need to have spectacles that have metal nose pads, if plastic frames, then with asian fitting. (Its an extended part of nose support to bring the spectacles away from the face)

Sounds a bit chim. U got shop? Maybe i drop by one day, haha

Deathskull11

Reaction score
Oh, Seiko has those shapes that you are looking for.
Price range is about 160 onwards..
Eyewear Optics at Thomson Plaza also Carry a lot of such frame design that you are looking for and Seiko too.
Hi GANGSTERKIA, can pm me who you recommend to consult at Thomson's Eyewear Optics? Thinking of making a pair of new spectacles. Thank you :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.