HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Like Tree488Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #796
Supremacy Member

Hey oldbreadstinks, do you have a specific microfiber cleaning cloth to introduce?

What glasses advice will you give to one who is active, workouts or play sports?

What do you think of Japanese hand-made glasses, and glasses made in Japan?
not really, i order directly from the manufacturer and i choose the specifications
for the first few cleanings i don't think it makes a difference , but the ones i ordered for myself, i made a decision for thicker ones, they have a few thickness to choose from, i can't recall how many , 4-5?
i went for either 3 or 4 with 1 being the thinnest

i compared between 1-2 and what i ordered, with frequent usage there's a difference in how long it cleans before being unusable
with the thinnest really feeling like a limb rag with a few uses , they absorb the oil well but you need to wash them really quickly
( I don't wash my cloths , i usually take one look at my customers glasses, if semi oily i'll wipe them straight away, otherwise i'll use alchohol first so I've never been bothered by the "oil" )

from my understanding, if you find shops selling such clothes , they actually costs less than the ones who don't do so well
.why....... i don't know so ask me also no use
probably because they were mostly ordered to be given and not for sale? i dunno really . but most sell it as an afterthought on request
i know some chains i've visited have pretty good generic microfiber cloths they give out to their regulars upon request .

if you are really very active, we're talking kayaking sort
i don't recommend it but one option is lasik
i'm a humji kia especially after seeing failures and due to my work i see them often .... it's quite rare for any males in this particular trade to go for lasik

but there are more successful cases than failures . and for really active lifestyles you can consider that because if you're going to spend thousands going up mountains , lasik if done well is a recommendation

otherwise contacts . <--- common choice these days

or for glasses , if the design fits. the glasses once adjusted don't need to grip hard and it wouldn't slip short of contact sports
most of the "sports Designs" have ridges or rubber pads to add friction
if you intend to get your face smashed in during sports, maybe straight legs would be a good option to avoid tearing your ears off
a good distance to be maintained from the face to prevent fogging .

haven't see glasses made in japan often to comment
but I love the frames .. assuming they really are made there, the material is better , the joints are smoother
finishing better .....but comes with a cost difference
oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #797
Master Member

I hardly wash my cloth ..... Actually Ive never washed them simply used and throw. Much cheaper that way then wasting water and detergent.
Usually I'll rinse my lenses thoroughly to remove dust and then shake dry and remove excess water with my cloth
Under normal wearing circumstances and daily cleaning there's no way your cloth will accumulate enough dirt / dust to scratch your lenses
Besides.... Most scratches come about from using excessive force... I see how most see residue stains and instead of wiping it away they proceed to" polish the lenses" with the cleaning cloth
A very good piece of microfiber cleaning cloth costs you $2-5 depending on the location you buy them from. Washing them 2-3 times... And the time/detergent /water used would be more than equal to buying another cloth
There's really no point to purifying it of all possible traces of oil when after washing... You plock it back onto your face
I believe removing visible traces of oil will do
How can there be no dust collected on cloth? Dust and dirt is flying all ard in the air, tats how our lenses got dust right? Else dust comes from where, secrete from our face??

Cloth collects more dust and trapped in between the fibre then how? Wont that be more possibility of scratching our lenses when the microfiber cloth wipes over the lenses? Tissues cheaper. Will just stick to tissues, soap & water.
Seannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #798
Master Member

yeah adjust in front of you

when i'm at work I call it professionalism not to deny service of current customers
but all this weird reasoning explains why you have so much bad experiences doesn't it?
Wat weird reasoning? I think u dun understand wat im saying. I ask again, can the lensmeter be adjusted by optician so that the reading on the machine can tally with what the lens prescrption should read? If lens is off, can they manually adjust at the side so that it is correct then show it to me? Understand boh?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #799
Supremacy Member

Wat weird reasoning? I think u dun understand wat im saying. I ask again, can the lensmeter be adjusted by optician so that the reading on the machine can tally with what the lens prescrption should read? If lens is off, can they manually adjust at the side so that it is correct then show it to me? Understand boh?
if you're so garang as to go to another shop so often and have the staff check the lenses haven't you noticed the method of usage is the same?
most users either use straight away or change modes
not adjust anything

unless the staff is really so skilled or you were to call an hour in advance before coming , how is the staff suppose to adjust the meter to make a wrong power appear correct on the display?
if you're worried to this point, the lenses actually comes with a card with your prescription for some bands like zeiss
if not and you would like to try "osa " lenses again you can request for a formal letter from the lab to verify the power

which is why like I said this is a specific user issue

you're a paranoid user , the problem is with you , and instead of rectrifying the issue you go around in circles to look for proof to prove your paranoia
there are cases where when the shop cannot handle, zeiss takes over

for your case to go around is so many circles with so much bad experiences either you are always attracted to chopshops or you're the problem

When u mentioned zeiss last year, Duravision is not even out in mkt YET. So no need to go ," there, i told u so" kind of ting. Cos if its lotutec coating i dont find zeiss lens attractive. But the duravision new coating is really appealing & i think stinky bread is not attentive to wat ple say leh. Need to keep repeating & explaining.
i mentioned duravion last year in our exchanges , i've been selling almost 2 years now. along with teflon which was just discontinued

you can trace back to the old thread , along with the last time last year you also called me stinky bread "because hoya is the best"
as regards to your above comment

you might want to retrace your steps to see how you defended hoya with religious zest

Why cant nanyang be at fault? Lenses are from them. Could be nanyang or the lens brand at fault. I have experienced nanyang faults before, and not just once so i know they have faults. My fren works in essilor lab ofcos i know the brand. How can i not know the stuff? U think i sprout rubbish? Probably u dont know cos u just optician dont work in essilor lab, dont know the behind scenes. Anyway cant comment further in nanyang or essilor lest get myself in troubles. Customers would know what they get. Just like that guy who had dot patches on his lenses. Tok is cheap la. Products are proof of quality.
nanyang changed his lenses so how can nanyang be at fault here ?
the spots appear to be a reaction with something that touched the lenses in droplet form
not cracking/peeling , something you should be aware of with your illustrious experiences
nanyang certainly didn't go over to his house to create those spots
if he's still unsatisfied he should ask nanyang for options and whether he can change the lenses to something else if he has no confidence in the lenses

riiiggghhhttt and I have no friends inside the labs . despite having to call them everyday, eat with them . play soccer with them
do favours sometimes . sell their products, warranty them when something happens

suddenly your magical friend who works inside essilor, unprofesionally badmouths his employer and *poof* your logic is infallible

I may not support them but I still acknowledge they service the bulk of the market and most of their customers are satisfied

every lab has it's own secrets . some blow up, others don't . so you picking on one because you don't know about the rest is like those market aunties picking up the latest gossip and sharing one sided stories
Old 05-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #800
Supremacy Member

How can there be no dust collected on cloth? Dust and dirt is flying all ard in the air, tats how our lenses got dust right? Else dust comes from where, secrete from our face??

Cloth collects more dust and trapped in between the fibre then how? Wont that be more possibility of scratching our lenses when the microfiber cloth wipes over the lenses? Tissues cheaper. Will just stick to tissues, soap & water.
you're an engineer , or so you claimed
this is physics not something that's arcane lore hidden away from the masses

it's common sense to keep your cloth away from conditions that attracts dust in cases , holders

+ i have already mentioned how lenses got scratched with dust and why
it's usually because people use force instead of gently
plastic is soft, anything harder will scratch it , rubbing it hard will scratch it too, that's why so many people who used tissue to rub and try to clean their CDs only add to the scratches
i have always wiped my lenses only after rinsing if i've been outdoors , see how i mentioned previously i wipe with some water droplets left?

this is basic common sense to add a lubricant
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #801

The optician will not be able to do that by tampering with the machine. Do u expect them to tamper with it everytime a customers specificiations is off slightly? Some may need to plus some may need to minus. You're thinking too much. There is no such thing as even 100% accuracy when it comes to lens degree and accuracy. I believe even labs are given a certain range to reject the lenses before even sending it over.

Sent from GAGT Android App
jervin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #802

Lensometer can be adjusted for the readings to read accurate in order to show us, no?
I ask again, can the lensmeter be adjusted by optician so that the reading on the machine can tally with what the lens prescrption should read? If lens is off, can they manually adjust at the side so that it is correct then show it to me? Understand boh?
Yes, it can be done, just like cab meters can be adjusted. But I would think they have better things to do than to learn how to hack the lensmeter, or have better things to spend the money on than to pay for someone to hack it.

Besides, if a patient feedback of blur or not comfortable, then something has to be done, regardless of what the number is on the lensmeter - in fact most patients don't care, they just want their spectacles to work for them.

The optician will not be able to do that by tampering with the machine. Do u expect them to tamper with it everytime a customers specificiations is off slightly? Some may need to plus some may need to minus. You're thinking too much. There is no such thing as even 100% accuracy when it comes to lens degree and accuracy. I believe even labs are given a certain range to reject the lenses before even sending it over.
Yes, there is an acceptable range of deviation from the ordered power.

if you're so garang as to go to another shop so often and have the staff check the lenses haven't you noticed the method of usage is the same?
most users either use straight away or change modes
not adjust anything

unless the staff is really so skilled or you were to call an hour in advance before coming , how is the staff suppose to adjust the meter to make a wrong power appear correct on the display?
Yes, agree with the above, too troublesome.

Besides, what's the point of adjusting the power to make it seem right.
kaikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #803

LJ means LJ la no need say so nice, wat different. Ya a pain in the ass is wat u really mean, ya? The more u say the more hypocrite it sounds.

Lensometer can be adjusted for the readings to read accurate in order to show us, no?
yeah adjust in front of you

when i'm at work I call it professionalism not to deny service of current customers
but all this weird reasoning explains why you have so much bad experiences doesn't it?
Well done on the professionalism.

In fact, Seannie, just to ally your doubts, I've never seen a hacked lensmeter, and even if there was one available, it certainly cannot be easily bought in the open market.

And on the patients' side, it is much easier than before to read the power with more retailers shifting to digital ones (as opposed to the manual knob-turning ones).

They are usually listed in order:
Sph - spherical power
Cyl - cylindrical power (astigmatism)
Axis - axis of cylindrical power

Just take note depending on the settings, Cyl Power can be in a positive or negative format, which then 'affects' the Sph Power.

E.g. -2.00 / -2.00 X 180 is also -4.00 / +2.00 X 090

Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #804

Hi,

i think i need to switch to progressive lens as i have difficulty reading things near my face, like handphone. i just discovered that the different lens brands have actually have different lines.

i was curious about owndays because of the very good price they've advertised, but found a review that says there seem to be no intermediate vision on them. is this true? will there be extra tests/measurements needed for progressive lens vs the single vission one?

anything you can recommend for first time progressive lens user. pasir miki seems to have a 15% discount on their lens. anyone have experience with them before?

Thanks.
Welcome to the world of presbyopia.

There are several options you can choose depending on your lifestyle.

The usual progressive lenses give you both far and near vision - and a little of intermediate. This is usually meant for every day use, i.e. looking at bus numbers, reading the menu in a restaurant, watching the TV. But these are generally not so comfortable for computer work due to the small intermediate area.

Then there are the less-common progressive lenses that give the intermediate area and near area only. This is usually called office progressives, and as the name suggests it is meant for office use; looking at the computer, writing material, documents, etc. However for these lenses, anything in the distance will be blur, which means you cannot walk out to lunch or see bus numbers with it.

The last thing to note is that for any lens that has multiple powers inside, it will get increasingly blur as you look towards the side. Thus, you may need some time to get used to this - for instance you may have to turn your head to look at something at the side instead of simply turning your eyes as you would do with your usual pair of spectacles. Similarly, if you need to look at something on the floor, you have to turn your head downwards.

For a small group of people who cannot get used to the effects of the progressive lenses, they choose to do a pair for distance viewing, and another pair for computer to leave at their work place.

When you have problems reading near, additional steps will be done to test and adjust your near vision. Any decent refractionist will know what to do.

Hope that helps.

Don't want to comment too much on individual shops, but I would say, go to a shop that you trust, where the staff bother to find out your needs and things are explained clearly to you so that you understand what you are getting. There are many different brands, coatings, and types of lenses available in the market today.

Last edited by kaikoura; 05-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #805
High Supremacy Member

Hi I was quoted $538.40 for an IC Berlin after discount and Zeiss aspheric 1.6 lens for myopia 250 degree and slight asigmatism $240. So total is $778.40. Is the price reasonable or I can get a better price elsewhere ?

I got a quote from a shop at a shopping centre. Thanks for the advise bros
PiPiChew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #806
Master Member

Recently made new specs and was recommended a lens that has a 50 degree difference between near and far vision. It is supposed to be an intermediate step until progressive lens are required, estimated two years down the road. What are such lens called technically?
jonleelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #807

Recently made new specs and was recommended a lens that has a 50 degree difference between near and far vision. It is supposed to be an intermediate step until progressive lens are required, estimated two years down the road. What are such lens called technically?
Would this be the Essilor Anti-Fatigue or Hoya TACT?

I would regard this as a varifocal lens (a lens that is made to have more than a single power in it), but I am not sure if the entire industry agrees with this.

Remember to keep your head still and turn your eyeballs downwards to read.
oldbreadstinks likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #808

Hi I was quoted $538.40 for an IC Berlin after discount and Zeiss aspheric 1.6 lens for myopia 250 degree and slight asigmatism $240. So total is $778.40. Is the price reasonable or I can get a better price elsewhere ?

Prices can vary according to the model of the frame, so the best gauge would be to visit a couple more shops to look for the same model and get a quote.

Most importantly, caveat emptor. Look at the entire package - is the pricing clear and transparent, do they do a proper eye check, explain things to you, have after-sales service, do you think they will deliver the right products as promised, etc.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #809
Master Member

Well done on the professionalism.

In fact, Seannie, just to ally your doubts, I've never seen a hacked lensmeter, and even if there was one available, it certainly cannot be easily bought in the open market.

And on the patients' side, it is much easier than before to read the power with more retailers shifting to digital ones (as opposed to the manual knob-turning ones).

They are usually listed in order:
Sph - spherical power
Cyl - cylindrical power (astigmatism)
Axis - axis of cylindrical power

Just take note depending on the settings, Cyl Power can be in a positive or negative format, which then 'affects' the Sph Power.

E.g. -2.00 / -2.00 X 180 is also -4.00 / +2.00 X 090

Its kinda hard to ask an optician to show me lensmeter. Paiseh becos its like doubting him then in the first place why patronise u knoe wat i mean? But i suspect most have errors like at least 2-5 off. So i guess i just have to live with the margins of error and see blurer lor. If i request them to replace lens for me they will also lose profits and do unwillingly right? Forget it lar. Really disappointed in optical industry already. Give up. Like u said maybe ang moh places are better like australia provide better and more honest services i guess.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #810
Master Member

REASONABLE.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.