HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thread all abt ROLEX

Like Tree954Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #1786

i think its worthy to buy second hand if u intend to wear them (but u must ensure they are
genuine and in prestine condition and that i meant internally mainly)

My opinion: Buy NEW if u intend to keep n collect only.

Really depends on the kind of buyer you are actually. If u insist on peace of mind, I'd say go for brand new pieces from AD. Else, if you're experienced with a few pieces of Rolex in your collection and want to buy another new piece for daily wear, I'd say the best deal is to buy from watch traders, who usually buy in bulk from overseas and flip them in the local market. U can get 30% off list price, tht is if u dun mind the watch being from overseas. For me, I'm not an expert, but experienced enuff to tell an authentic Rolex from a fake. Personally, I feel pre-owned pieces are a good deal. I bought a pre-owned Subdate at SGD$5k from one pre-owned dealer and sold it at SGD$5k to another a year later (i.e recently). Got to wear it for free for a year. Got my Dweller last month for a good price of SGD$4.5k, so gotta wait a while for the dweller wave to come up, but the dweller looks to be for keeps, I just prefer the face to be without a cyclops lens. The ones looking good right now are the LV subs and explorer 2's. market's flooded with them and they're cheap. U'll never know when the watch is going to be in vogue again and when the prices are going to shoot up. Take a bet, u might get to wear one for free and sell it without loss. My 2 cents.
Old 29-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #1787
Great Supremacy Member

The patek i have.

http://www.monster-time.com/patek_philippe.asp

one word to discribe,, fugly
Old 29-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #1788
Great Supremacy Member

Really depends on the kind of buyer you are actually. If u insist on peace of mind, I'd say go for brand new pieces from AD. Else, if you're experienced with a few pieces of Rolex in your collection and want to buy another new piece for daily wear, I'd say the best deal is to buy from watch traders, who usually buy in bulk from overseas and flip them in the local market. U can get 30% off list price, tht is if u dun mind the watch being from overseas. For me, I'm not an expert, but experienced enuff to tell an authentic Rolex from a fake. Personally, I feel pre-owned pieces are a good deal. I bought a pre-owned Subdate at SGD$5k from one pre-owned dealer and sold it at SGD$5k to another a year later (i.e recently). Got to wear it for free for a year. Got my Dweller last month for a good price of SGD$4.5k, so gotta wait a while for the dweller wave to come up, but the dweller looks to be for keeps, I just prefer the face to be without a cyclops lens. The ones looking good right now are the LV subs and explorer 2's. market's flooded with them and they're cheap. U'll never know when the watch is going to be in vogue again and when the prices are going to shoot up. Take a bet, u might get to wear one for free and sell it without loss. My 2 cents.

wow yr dweller 4.5k is what series wan?
Old 29-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #1789
Master Member

one word to discribe,, fugly
quite plain eh...
Old 29-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #1790

where is the best place to buy REAL, GENUINE, Brand new Rolex watches? can anyone pm me? thanks
Old 29-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #1791
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi bro,

Thanks for yr reply and i realise that u do have a vast knowlege on rolex watches!

I have came across another pre-owned watch at passion shop and wanna ask u whether is it worth it or nt? here is the link..... selling at $5300

http://www.passions.com.sg/Rolex_Gents/1542A-Rolex.htm

It looks great and classy as well..... How much do u think a brand new one cost?

I am very eager to get this one now....hee....

I will be looking forward a reply from u soon. Have a great weekend then!

Regards
Lim
the one with diamonds ya..

the newest one is retailing at about < $11k with the new jubilee chain...bigger face too...
Old 29-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #1792
Arch-Supremacy Member

The patek i have.

http://www.monster-time.com/patek_philippe.asp

Walau....this watch the look really...

«You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation »

if me..buy liao...dont think will wear also...pass to next generation think they will also kpkb...why buy this model...persoanl view...no offend...
Old 29-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #1793

Patek bought by uncle.

Wife bought this one for me.

Old 29-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #1794
Great Supremacy Member

Walau....this watch the look really
«You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation »

if me..buy liao...dont think will wear also...pass to next generation think they will also kpkb...why buy this model...persoanl view...no offend...
i almmost laugh my dinner out lucky i swallow first
Old 29-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #1795
Master Member

i almmost laugh my dinner out lucky i swallow first
lol...u also quite cute leh....heh
Old 29-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #1796
Arch-Supremacy Member

Patek bought by uncle.

Wife bought this one for me.

your wife got much better taste than your uncle...
Old 29-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #1797

Comments needed

Hi bro beng hoo,

After much consideration and budget wise, i had bought a 2nd- hand Date- just few days back. So happen that during a shopping trip with my mum as she is oso a rolex lover , we passed by and went into a 2nd-hand rolex dealer in town.

We saw a 'boy size'( suitable for me cos hand quite slim) date-just with blue dial roman and I fell in love with it at 1st sight and the rest is history.... Mum manage to bargain the price for me and i bought it on the spot. Quite happy with my first rolex....hee...hee....bought it for $3600/- watch had just been polished and one year warranty from the dealer.( including parts and labour)

He also gave me a warranty card that states that he will 'eat' back the watch for 80% of the sale price if sold back to him within 3 months. I oso visited the pawnshop yesterday and he quoted me $2000/. The pawnshop uncle oso mentioned that the brand new'rolex boy' prices keeps going up recently and 2nd hand' rolex boy' market beri bad now..wow lau eh...sad to hear that!

Anyone can advise whether izzit true that that this model is retailing at ard $6600 after 15% discount at Rolex AD for brand-new ones as mentioned by my mum. Any comments about my purchase? I will be looking foward for any comments. Thanks in advance!

Similar to this one- but mine dated in yr 2001.
http://www.passions.com.sg/Rolex_Gents/4868-Rolex.jpg

Regards
Old 30-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #1798

Hi Bros,

Some of you mentioned Passions as a good place to get a preowned Rolex. I just visited their website, there's this SubDate yr 2000 selling for $5.7K!!

Dounch think it's cheap at all sia, I mean, a new piece is going for around $6.3K (after discount), that's only a few hundred bucks dfiff, might as well get new - with all the new stuff like SEL and SuperLumi and no lug holes tio boh??

Btw how come some models come wif the "Superlative Chrono Official Certified " imprinted on its dial while others do not? Does it mean those w/o print are not Chrono Certified?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 30-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #1799

Passions is NOT cheap, and neither are Monster-Time, Visiotime IMHO. If u're ang moh with pounds or USD to burn, those are pretty well-known places for 'cheap' and convenient places in sg to buy pre-owned luxury watches. Definitely not for bargain hunters seeking the best deal. Though I'd say it'll be very difficult to get a brand new subdate for $6.3k from AD at the moment. At most they'll give you 5% or less discount for a brand new subdate. For good deals, u can hunt at places like chinatown, Top Hour at Lucky Plaza (run by an ex rolex watchsmith, check out his Paul Newman Daytonas and orange hand exp2's)

Those with the chronometer certified means the movement have been sent to undergo official tests and certified to deviate within a stringent error margin of between -4 to +6 sec per day. This certification is valid for only the first 3 or 5 years (can't remember exactly). IMO, it's just marketing hoohoo. Check out some earlier posts, Rolex non COSC movements can achieve that too. Dun think anyone live by such tolerances in this world, and even if you need to measure time by such tolerances, wouldn't a casio, suunto or timex do the job betta?

My Dweller is a S series 1993 in very good condition . it's a Tritium dial with SEL bracelet, brand new bezel and full links. Importantly, the movement keeps time within +3 sec deviation per day. At SGD$4500, I think it's a wonderful deal for a watch that's 13 years old.
Old 30-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #1800

Hi bro beng hoo,

After much consideration and budget wise, i had bought a 2nd- hand Date- just few days back. So happen that during a shopping trip with my mum as she is oso a rolex lover , we passed by and went into a 2nd-hand rolex dealer in town.

We saw a 'boy size'( suitable for me cos hand quite slim) date-just with blue dial roman and I fell in love with it at 1st sight and the rest is history.... Mum manage to bargain the price for me and i bought it on the spot. Quite happy with my first rolex....hee...hee....bought it for $3600/- watch had just been polished and one year warranty from the dealer.( including parts and labour)

He also gave me a warranty card that states that he will 'eat' back the watch for 80% of the sale price if sold back to him within 3 months. I oso visited the pawnshop yesterday and he quoted me $2000/. The pawnshop uncle oso mentioned that the brand new'rolex boy' prices keeps going up recently and 2nd hand' rolex boy' market beri bad now..wow lau eh...sad to hear that!

Anyone can advise whether izzit true that that this model is retailing at ard $6600 after 15% discount at Rolex AD for brand-new ones as mentioned by my mum. Any comments about my purchase? I will be looking foward for any comments. Thanks in advance!

Similar to this one- but mine dated in yr 2001.
http://www.passions.com.sg/Rolex_Gents/4868-Rolex.jpg

Regards
Dude, Rolex Datejusts and Boy should be 18% straight off from Tai Hong Hung. Generally, for Rolex, sports models hold their value much better. In most cases, you dun lose much after selling them unless u bought them brand new and sell within a year.

A good condition 2001 Datejust 16234 should go for $3500 (from the last time I enquired). So I dun think u overpaid for that rolex. In fact, it's the market price for it. However, if you decide to sell a datejust, u'll hardly ever break even. SGD$2k for taking it in? It's a joke. Pawnshops can never give u good prices for Rolex, cos they're half moneylenders and half traders of jewellery/watches etc. U're better off selling to a pre-owned Rolex dealer, or U might as well advertise on yahoo classifieds for SGD$2.9k. Even after negotiation on price, u can easily let go of it at SGD$2.6k. Why think of selling it since u like it so much? Keep it and wear it in good health!

Last edited by boobip; 30-09-2006 at 01:18 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.