Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #1921
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

If I really want something accurate, I would go for quartz anytime
Old 16-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #1922
Master Member

well, unless there is a new testing programme with tighter specs, there is no way of knowing which movement is the most accurate.....at the very least, cosc is independent........is the current specs of -4/+6 secs per day good enuff? perhaps it is....most ppl that buy a swiss mechanical watch probably dun give a damn anyway......if they want anything more accurate, then a quartz watch is a better choice...

other manufactures can claim how good their own QC is.......to me that is akin to blowing their own trumpet.....the specs could be super duper tight......but there is no independent assessment.......at the end of the day, brand A can claim their engine makes 250 hp but until someone dynos the engine and reveals the actual performance chart, it is still a manufacturer claimed 250 hp....

haha ultimately we can all argue until the cows come home......but the fact remains that rolex makes good quality watches that r pretty accurate at slightly unreasonable prices....
COSC is an independant entitiy but it's well known that rolex is probably the only brand keeping it alive at the moment. Many manufactures have dumped COSC as a benchmark as it says nothing about the end product. Normally a mechanical watch with a variance of +/-10sec a day would be good enough. Normally, watches are calibrated to be slightly faster. Any well made watch that has been properly adjusted by a good watchmaker should be capable of a running within a tolerance of about 2-3 seconds a day. If accuracy is the biggest concern, i would advise dumping your mechanical watch at home and getting a $5 pasar malam quartz watch instead.

One thing to correct, rolex makes watches of reasonable quality that are overpriced. A Grande Seiko costs less and is better finiehed, not to mention more accurate, than a rolex. But Chinese being Chinese are always blinded by the "5 matchsticks" than anything else.
Old 17-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #1923
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

One thing to correct, rolex makes watches of reasonable quality that are overpriced. A Grande Seiko costs less and is better finiehed, not to mention more accurate, than a rolex. But Chinese being Chinese are always blinded by the "5 matchsticks" than anything else.
It's an asian thingy imo. My reason for a rolex is mainly because of the design.

I have been a fan of rolex since young. No other design catches my eyes more than a rolex.

Be it the DJ, sub, explorer, gmt or even a daytona, 1 look from far, it's distinctive a rolex with subtle difference between old and new model. Improvements are made without changing it's distinct look (I dunno wtf is with then new DJ, still looks like a rolex, but....erm....maybe it takes getting used to)
Old 17-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #1924

COSC is an independant entitiy but it's well known that rolex is probably the only brand keeping it alive at the moment. Many manufactures have dumped COSC as a benchmark as it says nothing about the end product. Normally a mechanical watch with a variance of +/-10sec a day would be good enough. Normally, watches are calibrated to be slightly faster. Any well made watch that has been properly adjusted by a good watchmaker should be capable of a running within a tolerance of about 2-3 seconds a day. If accuracy is the biggest concern, i would advise dumping your mechanical watch at home and getting a $5 pasar malam quartz watch instead.

manufactures have their own agenda about cosc.....i dun intend to second guess their intentions.....anyway breitling too strongly believes in achieving chronometer status for their watches.....mechanical and quartz alike.......look at the number of certs for omega....obviously they believe cosc says something about the end product....

if u believe that +/-10 secs is good enuff, then JLC must have nothing better to do than to have their watches undergo a stringent in-house test....

as for accuracy, i expect my chronometers to perform like chronometers. period.

value is relative and subjective. obviously u think rolex is overpriced and of cos u have the right to think that way. it's also my right to disagree. talking about GS, i dun even find it attractive to look at, let alone wanna buy and wear it.

i think it's an insult to state that "Chinese being Chinese are always blinded by the "5 matchsticks" than anything else". there will always be ppl, chinese or not, who are blinded. and there will always be ppl, who simply like rolex cos they find it worthy of their dollars.....and there will always be ppl who think they know better to be able to deem others as blind.

it's a free world out there.
Old 17-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #1925
Master Member

manufactures have their own agenda about cosc.....i dun intend to second guess their intentions.....anyway breitling too strongly believes in achieving chronometer status for their watches.....mechanical and quartz alike.......look at the number of certs for omega....obviously they believe cosc says something about the end product....

if u believe that +/-10 secs is good enuff, then JLC must have nothing better to do than to have their watches undergo a stringent in-house test....

as for accuracy, i expect my chronometers to perform like chronometers. period.

value is relative and subjective. obviously u think rolex is overpriced and of cos u have the right to think that way. it's also my right to disagree. talking about GS, i dun even find it attractive to look at, let alone wanna buy and wear it.

i think it's an insult to state that "Chinese being Chinese are always blinded by the "5 matchsticks" than anything else". there will always be ppl, chinese or not, who are blinded. and there will always be ppl, who simply like rolex cos they find it worthy of their dollars.....and there will always be ppl who think they know better to be able to deem others as blind.

it's a free world out there.
You sound very defensive of the Rolex brand. If you think COSC is the ultimate yardstick, or Rolex (or Omega for the matter of fact) has the best testing procedures on the face of this planet, then probably it's time to open your mind to other testing methodologies. I did not say +/- 10 sec was good enough for me but i specifically mentioned that it was for a mechanical watch. I did also mention that with proper regulation, it could go into a region of <3 sec a day variance and that IS good enough for me.

Just FYI, i'm not coming from somewhere where i do not know anything about COSC and simply just ranting for the sake of it. I have a COSC watch myself but i do not thing there's anything "superlative" with the COSC procedures.

With regards to the last part, i'm not being racist here (well i'm chinese too), but it is simply well known that it is intrinsic in the chinese culture to treat the "5 matchsticks" as the epitome of all timepieces and status.

I agree that it's a free world out there and the purpose of my post is to dispell the belief that COSC is the ultimate benchmark for watch tests. I expected to attract some outrageously defensive posts by fanboys and i happen to be right. Remember, no where did i say that Rolex was a bad watch. It was all perception that made it so.
Old 17-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #1926

You sound very defensive of the Rolex brand. If you think COSC is the ultimate yardstick, or Rolex (or Omega for the matter of fact) has the best testing procedures on the face of this planet, then probably it's time to open your mind to other testing methodologies. I did not say +/- 10 sec was good enough for me but i specifically mentioned that it was for a mechanical watch. I did also mention that with proper regulation, it could go into a region of <3 sec a day variance and that IS good enough for me.

Just FYI, i'm not coming from somewhere where i do not know anything about COSC and simply just ranting for the sake of it. I have a COSC watch myself but i do not thing there's anything "superlative" with the COSC procedures.

With regards to the last part, i'm not being racist here (well i'm chinese too), but it is simply well known that it is intrinsic in the chinese culture to treat the "5 matchsticks" as the epitome of all timepieces and status.

I agree that it's a free world out there and the purpose of my post is to dispell the belief that COSC is the ultimate benchmark for watch tests. I expected to attract some outrageously defensive posts by fanboys and i happen to be right. Remember, no where did i say that Rolex was a bad watch. It was all perception that made it so.
well in the same way, i expect antifanboys to do likewise.........perhaps not explicitly in this case but the underlying meaning is clearly apparent in some outrageously well-disguised pot-shots........it's not my job to defend rolex and they do not need need me to do that at all....

never was and never will i think and say cosc is the ultimate......at best, its simply minimum standards that chronometers must achieve..........at least, it's independent........

and again never did i think that u know nothing about cosc.......but that's not the point in the first place....
Old 17-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1927
Greater Supremacy Member

wah why can argue about COSC ? got marnee buys can liao - no nids argues so manys - u got marnee u buy wat u want - dun nids care we all thinks wat

[URL=http://canonfaerie.wordpress.com/]pls ish must sarpot n visit moi blog[/URL]
[URL=http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1651111]WTB used pantys[/URL]
[URL=http://usekukujiaototiobehpio.wordpress.com/]$4D lobang[/URL]
Old 17-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #1928
Arch-Supremacy Member

wah this thread 132 pages lol
Old 17-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #1929
Greater Supremacy Member

wah this thread 132 pages lol
yahs stick to buying casio betters - change betterys cans liaos

[URL=http://canonfaerie.wordpress.com/]pls ish must sarpot n visit moi blog[/URL]
[URL=http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1651111]WTB used pantys[/URL]
[URL=http://usekukujiaototiobehpio.wordpress.com/]$4D lobang[/URL]
Old 17-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #1930
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

Quartz confirm accurate.

For mechanical watch, never service also no use. I got 1 oyster date, (handwound) many years never service already, just took it out recently only, everyday lose 5-10 mins....pukez
Old 17-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #1931
Arch-Supremacy Member

branding loh...and japan how to fight with swiss long history of watchmaking...and rolex got better resale + easier to let and easier available servicing center...

i see timezone also many ang mo kana "5 matchsticks" blindness wah...not only chinese..just look at the rolex forums Posts/Topics numbers there...
Old 17-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #1932
Master Member

branding loh...and japan how to fight with swiss long history of watchmaking...and rolex got better resale + easier to let and easier available servicing center...

i see timezone also many ang mo kana "5 matchsticks" blindness wah...not only chinese..just look at the rolex forums Posts/Topics numbers there...
Haha that's true. But too bad it's us who want it so much that we give it nicknames.
Old 18-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #1933

Singaporeans are v bo-liao, not that we covet it more, we give nicknames to everything one lor. Haha. Rolex has the very old school, old money, old world charm. Its very towkay-chic!

COSC is a test. Although the airking has the same movement, they are not sent for the test hence some watches may fail it and u may buy one that failed it. But I guess it doesn't really matter, I only wear my rolex for the chong days, so everytime i take out the hand already stopped ticking. It has the freeze in time look, very cute.

A bit more about COSC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC
Old 19-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #1934

For Sale: Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date (Case No. 1500 & Serial No. 5781273)

Hi! Sorry for intruding into this discussion. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date (Case No. 1500 & Serial No. 5781273) for sale at S$2,500. This watch is in perfect condition as seen from the photo below. Everything is original including the dial and bracelet. Most of its time has been spent sitting in the box set and was never out much really. Please note that I am not a dealer and the watch is my own. It is possible for you to get the same authenticated before payment. I can be reached at 96653298 if interested. Thanks.

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nil...nm=570dscd.jpg
Old 25-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #1935

Price increase yet?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.