Thread all abt ROLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

maguses

Reaction score
hi a while ago, i said i was interested in the rolex submariner w/o date. Then when i went to HG, I spotted another awesome watch, Omega - The Seamaster Professional, Chrono!!

In terms of price, it was about 5K for the Submariner to 2.5K for the Seamaster.

In my opinion, both are really shiny, in the Dove shampoo kinda way. Both makes me feel happy.

Plus points of Submariner,
1. Looks: very simple elegant design yet robust-looking, sporty, fashionable. Very suitable for the younger executive. But design copied by many liao.
2. good pawn value.
3. Brand is prestigious, v recognisable. But a bit ostentatious, actually not a bit, but very very showy.
4. Dives up to 300m, very suitable for me hahaha.
5. I like the name too, makes me feel like the Commanding Officer in a submarine (but in reality i have a much more noble job, lol).
6. Its a James Bond Watch. Since the first 007 movie.

For the Seamaster,
1. Looks: also a very cool combi of elegant looks and rugged/robust-ness. Actually more fashionable than the Submariner. The subtle waves in the dial is a very chio detail, and varies with the light and the angle. The blue although makes it more flashy, it also makes it more youthful. And the blue looks like black sometimes, very fetch! Like the helium valve by the side, unique.
2. Got date.
3. Half the price. But poor pawn value (but i think comparable pawn percentage)
4. Dives to 300m too.
5. Also a James Bond watch, first appeared in Goldeneye (Mr Bros-NAN.) Rather apt comparison, Sean is the big Daddy (lolek mah!) and Pierce (Omega) is more bratty.
6. Seamaster makes me feel like a Mer-Man frolicking Under the Sea.

Overall, minus the brands, Seamaster feels more in tune with my inner feelings lol. Seamaster is more me, I more the anti-establishment brat, who also excels in the corp.. i know *puke. And I also like Blue.

But with the rolex brand-thingy in place, the submariner just feels like 10% more power... like Sean is to Pierce... like Merz is to Beemer... the Officer is always ready to pound the Merman to pulps...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

buaysaikum

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe its the thread title....
but dun seem to find panerai enthus around heres....

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maguses said:
hi a while ago, i said i was interested in the rolex submariner w/o date. Then when i went to HG, I spotted another awesome watch, Omega - The Seamaster Professional, Chrono!!

In terms of price, it was about 5K for the Submariner to 2.5K for the Seamaster.

In my opinion, both are really shiny, in the Dove shampoo kinda way. Both makes me feel happy.

Plus points of Submariner,
1. Looks: very simple elegant design yet robust-looking, sporty, fashionable. Very suitable for the younger executive. But design copied by many liao.
2. good pawn value.
3. Brand is prestigious, v recognisable. But a bit ostentatious, actually not a bit, but very very showy.
4. Dives up to 300m, very suitable for me hahaha.
5. I like the name too, makes me feel like the Commanding Officer in a submarine (but in reality i have a much more noble job, lol).
6. Its a James Bond Watch. Since the first 007 movie.

For the Seamaster,
1. Looks: also a very cool combi of elegant looks and rugged/robust-ness. Actually more fashionable than the Submariner. The subtle waves in the dial is a very chio detail, and varies with the light and the angle. The blue although makes it more flashy, it also makes it more youthful. And the blue looks like black sometimes, very fetch! Like the helium valve by the side, unique.
2. Got date.
3. Half the price. But poor pawn value (but i think comparable pawn percentage)
4. Dives to 300m too.
5. Also a James Bond watch, first appeared in Goldeneye (Mr Bros-NAN.) Rather apt comparison, Sean is the big Daddy (lolek mah!) and Pierce (Omega) is more bratty.
6. Seamaster makes me feel like a Mer-Man frolicking Under the Sea.

Overall, minus the brands, Seamaster feels more in tune with my inner feelings lol. Seamaster is more me, I more the anti-establishment brat, who also excels in the corp.. i know *puke. And I also like Blue.

But with the rolex brand-thingy in place, the submariner just feels like 10% more power... like Sean is to Pierce... like Merz is to Beemer... the Officer is always ready to pound the Merman to pulps...

What do you guys think?

Both are great watch.. one of the reason i choose Rolex over Omega is the movement use. There aer other reasons too.. But trust me if u get the OMEGA very soon in future u will still get the SUB..
;)

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i give a miss if they using ETA movement...
i wont pay so much for them...

buaysaikum

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
i give a miss if they using ETA movement...
i wont pay so much for them...

those are modified etas, merely using the eta as an initial blueprint..

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
buaysaikum said:
To add on, the movement finish in a rolex is one of the poorest in its class. Not to mention that they use the same movement from the SS oyster all the way to the president series. Thus the president is no better than a SS model in keeping time. The only difference is the bling factor.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nautilus said:
To add on, the movement finish in a rolex is one of the poorest in its class. Not to mention that they use the same movement from the SS oyster all the way to the president series. Thus the president is no better than a SS model in keeping time. The only difference is the bling factor.

i cannot imagine a mod can tock so much cock here about ROLEX.. pls read up more about ROLEX movement before u brag here.. dun make a laughing stock of yrself.. :s8:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buaysaikum said:

u mean ROLEX?? then why dun u said the car engine of certain bran is the modification of a certain brand?? Pls lar use a brain a bit watch mechanaical movement is all about the same same as car engine.. unless u are a rocket scientist and u can invent something dun need gears to run a mechanical winding watch. Why dun u said ETA is a modified Rolex movement.. ;)

Last edited:

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if looking for ‘finish’…should go for the Rolex Cellini…that the series that Rolex cough out to show off their craftsmanship…
the Oyster series is a more hardy type…
think no body really knows why Rolex don’t bother/concentrate much on the oyster movement finish…they don’t even bother to reply to that review about their movement…
maybe the polish will affect the movement life-span/reliability/stability in long run…i talking about 10,20,30yrs or more…
since they don’t produce any Oyster with display back so the high polish finish not needed or a waste...
personally I think if Rolex want with their skills they can do it…but guess how much they will sell the watch…

ya...alot of the Rolex models are using same movement...but they are good reliable proven movement...
it’s not easy/cheap to come out with new movement...needs lot of RnD and take many years to prove the movement reliability and stability and by using the same movement allow them to stock replacement spares easier...they almost able to repair any Roelx you send in regardless how old it is...

and if you want...there are plenty of other brands/watches with 'high-grade finish' ETA movement selling at higher price tag out there...

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nakedtoes said:
i cannot imagine a mod can tock so much cock here about ROLEX.. pls read up more about ROLEX movement before u brag here.. dun make a laughing stock of yrself.. :s8:
take it easy lah...not everyone will read everything in detail...

Rolex is not everything in our life...dont end up like a fanboy hoh...:o
got amd/intel/ATi/Nvidia fanboy liao...later got Rolex fanboy..:s22:

:s13:

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buaysaikum said:
no lah..thought they buy the movenemt then self polish/mod and sell...
some don't even bother much on polish/mod...just do some simple mod then put into their watches and sell liao...:s22:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
take it easy lah...not everyone will read everything in detail...

Rolex is not everything in our life...dont end up like a fanboy hoh...:o
got amd/intel/ATi/Nvidia fanboy liao...later got Rolex fanboy..:s22:

:s13:

no lar i nv a fanboy for any brand.. just that some ppl do not make an effort to read up a bit and tok rubbish here..

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nakedtoes said:
no lar i nv a fanboy for any brand.. just that some ppl do not make an effort to read up a bit and tok rubbish here..
ya...but the review about the Rolex movement with bad finish is true wah...that time i went through it i also...:o

no matter how R is the only few that still can make/design movement by themselves and they dont sell their movement to others...
nowadays many simply just go for the easy way...ETA...plus Marketing…:o

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
ya...but the review about the Rolex movement with bad finish is true wah...that time i went through it i also...:o

no matter how R is the only few that still can make/design movement by themselves and they dont sell their movement to others...
nowadays many simply just go for the easy way...ETA...plus Marketing…:o

hack care about the bad finish of the movement. Rolex is experience enough to knw their own stuff. Thats why they dun even bother to reply.. Just dun like ppl said something like" mitsuishi is using the same engine from their most low end model to their evos".. u can see how noob the way they tok.. ;)

Last edited:

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
Nakedtoes said:
Before shooting your mouth off, why don't you go read up more on the motion and winding works of the rolex movements first. The details of the bidirectional winding works takes its cue heavily from the ETA2827 albeit with teflon coating for the transfer gears. Also, rolex is using a scaled down version of the glycydur balance with only 4 balance screws. This makes it easy to adjust the beatrate but also easy to lose it as well. Now won't you admit that the movement finishing is really lackluster for a watch of its price? With regards to reliability, there are also seikos out there that still run well over 20 years. If you service a mechanical watch every 5 years, chances are that they'll run for 50-100 years before needing any sort of major part replacement. Just to add, my mother's datejust broke down last month after 8 years of service, so this demonstrates that rolex isn't bulletproof after all. Looks like your attitude reflects that of a typical rolex owner.......only have this thinking that rolex is the best and nothing beats it. Time to wake up my friend..

PS. Just in case you don't notice, the value of used rolexes have been plunging lately. A clue: the value of supply exceeds demand in the resale market. Affluent people are now trying to scrub off the "rolex" image and are going for other brands especially Panerai these days. So don't count on rolex being a good investment in the near future.

Last edited:

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i always think the resale market of preowned Rolex really over-charge...just look at the price different between a brand new and preowned...that something i wanted to laugh...

but Panerai is something i will avoid...i will buy but not at that high price tag...i wont pay so much for them...
i know many out there willing and wating to get their...
let wait another 5~10yrs....when the BiG watch wave over...let see where is Panerai standing...

Rolex is the only few still survive after the rise, fall, quartz revolution of Swiss watchmaking...

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
i always think the resale market of preowned Rolex really over-charge...just look at the price different between a brand new and preowned...that something i wanted to laugh...

but Panerai is something i will avoid...i will buy but not at that high price tag...i wont pay so much for them...
i know many out there willing and wating to get their...
let wait another 5~10yrs....when the BiG watch wave over...let see where is Panerai standing...

Rolex is the only few still survive after the rise, fall, quartz revolution of Swiss watchmaking...
Hi benghoo,

It's true that there is currently an oversupply of rolexes in the market now. Don't believe what those used stores offer for their watches. Much of it is over inflated and highly negotiable. It's a well known fact that these stores also pay peanuts for a used rolex, no matter how mint the condition it's in. Preowned rolexes can be bought at a huge discount if you take away the middleman. There were a few deals online where the men's president (full gold) were sold for under 10k. There's just too many of them floating around at the moment. It's just a matter of time before you see a price dip.

I agree with your point that Panerai is something to avoid. Most of the models are selling without any discounts at all and to add fuel to fire, most of their movements make use third party ebauches with the exception of one or two recent models. I wanted to laugh when someone once proclaim that "it is very unlike panerai if they were to use their own movements". I'd say the ones who bought lots of panerais before the PAMwave are the ones who are laughing their way to the bank right now. I think ST ran an article quite sometime ago where a guy who bought several panerais rather cheaply, managed to sell them off for a tidy profit which he in turn used to purchase a nice lange watch.

As for the history of rolex, they were probably the only swiss watchmaker who was immensely successful in their marketing campaigns during the quartz revolution. They realised that it was not possible to continue manufacturing watches the old way (handmade) which was very restrictive on factory output. Thus, they switch from manual production techniques to a mostly automated one. This, coupled with good marketing allowed rolex to maintain demand as well as output in the trying years. However, their reputation could also be the begining of their downfall. Many of the affluent are getting rid of their rolexes these days as they do not want to be associated with the image of rolex. If you take a ride on the MRT, rolex is easily the most spotted brand out there. Thing have progressed to the stage where "you have a rolex, so have I". Also, the general public awareness of handcrafted mechanical watches is on the rise these days and many haute horologie brands are making a comeback. Some of them, for example VC, are coming back stronger than ever after being acquired by the richmond group. According to news from the grapevine, the sales of rolexes are not doing well and this is especially so in europe. I'd say consumer these days are more prudent when shopping for a luxury watch. The days of decisions made on elders' advice are probably numbered.

Nokfreak

Reaction score
nautilus said:
Hi benghoo,

It's true that there is currently an oversupply of rolexes in the market now. Don't believe what those used stores offer for their watches. Much of it is over inflated and highly negotiable. It's a well known fact that these stores also pay peanuts for a used rolex, no matter how mint the condition it's in. Preowned rolexes can be bought at a huge discount if you take away the middleman. There were a few deals online where the men's president (full gold) were sold for under 10k. There's just too many of them floating around at the moment. It's just a matter of time before you see a price dip.

I agree with your point that Panerai is something to avoid. Most of the models are selling without any discounts at all and to add fuel to fire, most of their movements make use third party ebauches with the exception of one or two recent models. I wanted to laugh when someone once proclaim that "it is very unlike panerai if they were to use their own movements". I'd say the ones who bought lots of panerais before the PAMwave are the ones who are laughing their way to the bank right now. I think ST ran an article quite sometime ago where a guy who bought several panerais rather cheaply, managed to sell them off for a tidy profit which he in turn used to purchase a nice lange watch.

As for the history of rolex, they were probably the only swiss watchmaker who was immensely successful in their marketing campaigns during the quartz revolution. They realised that it was not possible to continue manufacturing watches the old way (handmade) which was very restrictive on factory output. Thus, they switch from manual production techniques to a mostly automated one. This, coupled with good marketing allowed rolex to maintain demand as well as output in the trying years. However, their reputation could also be the begining of their downfall. Many of the affluent are getting rid of their rolexes these days as they do not want to be associated with the image of rolex. If you take a ride on the MRT, rolex is easily the most spotted brand out there. Thing have progressed to the stage where "you have a rolex, so have I". Also, the general public awareness of handcrafted mechanical watches is on the rise these days and many haute horologie brands are making a comeback. Some of them, for example VC, are coming back stronger than ever after being acquired by the richmond group. According to news from the grapevine, the sales of rolexes are not doing well and this is especially so in europe. I'd say consumer these days are more prudent when shopping for a luxury watch. The days of decisions made on elders' advice are probably numbered.

Well articulated my friend. The Panerai wave heated up since 6 years ago when I'd wanted to get my hands on a marina (then costing about SGD$3000). Look at the ridiculous prices now. So they say big watches will be here to stay and prices will keep going up. I think it's still early to tell. Just look at the AP Offshores, close to 40% loss after selling it used to the dealers. With that price, I'd rather be looking at next-wave design phenomenons like Cvstos (it sure looks just like a Richard Mille), and take a bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.