Thread all abt ROLEX

Like Tree954Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #1111
Arch-Supremacy Member

god damn!

now sub date 7.7k??

i recall quite a while back it was 6+ now ups so fast?

sub sub no chance liao.
Old 17-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #1112

there is a 15% controlled discount right? at least for DJ I know there is...
Old 17-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #1113
Arch-Supremacy Member

the 15% discount do not apply to the all rolex...popular models like submariner is not applicable. darn
Old 17-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #1114

I dunno about GMT 2 man, I'm getting a GMT Master 1 acryllic crystal.
Old 17-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #1115

anyone got latest price??

saw earlier thread, someone here got lobang from manager?

GMT 1 no longer in production right? Only 2nd hand?
Old 17-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #1116

yeap, GMT1 is out of production already. Reserved a mint condition used piece with a nicely aged dial. Mechanism still crisp.
Old 17-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #1117

from where?
how do you know the mechanism still crisp?
Old 18-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #1118

From a shop in chinatown. U just have to manually wind the watch, feel the free play when u adjust the minute hands up and down and feel for yourself to see if it's crisp. Official Rolex Overhaul papers would be useful also.
Old 18-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #1119
Great Supremacy Member

how old is the gmt1?? must be over 6K
Old 18-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #1120
Master Member

From a shop in chinatown. U just have to manually wind the watch, feel the free play when u adjust the minute hands up and down and feel for yourself to see if it's crisp. Official Rolex Overhaul papers would be useful also.
That's the easiest way to fall for a fake rolexes. Rolex mechanisms ain't great to start with. A well made replica using perhaps Omega ebauches would feel just as good as the real thing (not to say the real thing feels good in the first place). Even if it feels good to the wind (crisp is NOT the word to describe it BTW), the watch could be in need of service. Don't be surprised if you get a drift of more than 10 seconds a day. I wouldn't trust those Chinatown shops too much (except maybe for passions but be prepared to pay a premium for it) as they do crazy things to rolexes. Make sure you sign off a clause telling them to take back the watch if rolex centre (pls spend the $80) finds that certain parts are fake. Things to look out for are aftermarket crystals, bezels, bracelet, etc.
Old 19-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #1121

I got my Sub Date from the same shop. To me, they're reliable, and they'll always open up the watchcase for you to examine the mech and the movement numbers, and write them down on the receipt before the transaction. Of course they have the full refund terms and conditions stated clearly at the back of the receipt if the watch is found to be fake or contain aftermarket parts. Initially, I had doubts on the authenticity of the Sub Date I'd bought, and had it verified by Rolex at Tong Center after purchase. I personally have no problems whatsoever, but there's definitely an element of risk in buying a used watch. Just do your homework first.

I use the word crisp as a description pardon me. If the definition should be 'good' or maybe 'robust' or something else, by all means. I'm just collecting watches and sharing pre-own lobangs for them, not intending to debate on the use of english here.

IMO, it's your own hardearned $$$ and it's your responsibility to research on your own interests before taking the plunge for a used piece. I've def done mine, and am happy to acquire preowned Rolex watches (especially if they're in excellent condition), so this is the advise to forumers interested in getting a used Rolex watch.

Personally, I do find Passions expensive IMO, u can def get better deals elsewhere. There's also this little shop in balmoral cresent off bukit timah. It's called Collector's Haven, and located within VIP Hotel. My mates and customers have bought Explorer IIs, Subs and some Panerais from them. Go check it out if u're interested, they have quite a good collection, including a nicely aged Submariner 5513.

GMT1 is not really THAT expensive (unless they come with special dials)...and not difficult to find as compared to vintage subs/dwellers/exp2 (single red, double reds, 5513's, orange hand, exp2 'ivory' dials, what else?) and Paul Newman/El Primero Daytonas. The difficult part is in getting a piece in good condition and free of aftermarket parts. In fact, u can get them at a few hundred bucks below most pre-owned sports models that are under 10 years old.
Old 20-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #1122

I actually also dun buy the "just wind and feel good" check on Rolexes... I mean if so easy, ppl wouldn't pay $75 to have it verified liao right?

BTW, I am new to Rollies...
Old 20-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #1123

If u're new to Rolex, go for a brand new piece. The Submariner non date should set u back by about 5k. I'm not at the expert level for Rolex watches, but owned and done enough research on them to be comfortable with buying pre-owns. Both my Sub Date (y series) and Datejust (k series) have been verified by Tong Center and have no problems, and keeping good time within the COSC range. The only watches I've bought brand new are my Panerais, Omega Speedy and Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish. For Panerai, u can't really get a good bargain for a used piece, so might as well go for brand new (but the wait is painful!). This is unlike pre-owned Rolex, where u can get about 2k off the RRP for a brand new piece.

Last edited by boobip; 20-02-2006 at 10:58 AM..
Old 20-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #1124

i see...thks
Old 20-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #1125

No worries, but if u've gotten your sights fixated on a Rolex, I'd say go for it! If u ever run into a dilemma of having a budget limit (as I did), e.g. considering between a brand new submariner or subdate for a budget of 5k, hold your horses first. Go check them out at either Balmoral or Passions for used pieces or just walk into ADs to feel the brand-news. Take down the model & series of the watch that catches your eye and come back for a discussion with the Rolex enthusiasts. Cheers!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.