HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Watch Thread - Part 15

Like Tree5540Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #4681
Great Supremacy Member

Oh I do allow myself some indulgences.. like this piece, for example. I know its value will never go up, only down as it ages.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/wY6rvcj/IMG20190507101830.jpg[/mg]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/MPL3Sm2/IMG20190507102020.jpg[/ig]
jin satki white gold daytona

heng i is wear normal chui cheapo JLC and Seiko
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #4682
Great Supremacy Member

Usually no paper de... Why buy from them? Better to buy from private owner/seller with paper.
got paper means price up leh
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #4683
Great Supremacy Member

i bet he can order fish from cai png stall since he only buys/sells rolex-es
mai noob.

he satki is eat zi char alone. order 1 whole steam fish one leh
cai png too weak
Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #4684
Great Supremacy Member

Except for Jaeger-LeCoultre who, being also a movement manufacturer and supplier, can still survive as a business unit of Richemont, despite their own house brand not doing too well.
this is just dumb deh.

sg not alot people buy because got noobs like you.

overseas, people is buy JLC many many, even ah tiong hoot their reverso
Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #4685

Collecting watches is not an investment, its a hobby. The appreciation in value is just a secondary benefit.
sleepwelltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #4686
Great Supremacy Member

The Swiss luxury watch business is, at the end of it all, still business.

Much as you all would like to indulge in your fantasy of some wizened little old men crouched over old wooden tabletops polishing movements or at an old fashioned kiln forging steel cases, purely for the whimsicality of it all, the truth is, without strong sales and profits, a manufacture cannot survive.

That's why most manufactures have been acquired and consolidated into a few big fashion conglomerates, leaving only the biggest companies independent.

If a brand of luxury watches does not have good resale value in the secondary market, it would be difficult for the manufacture to place a sufficiently profitable RRP on their new watches, plus market it to sell volume.

Hence prices in the secondary market is the only way to gauge real demand, supply and whether the brand is doing well.
so to say, all manufactures should stop wasting their time producing good watches
and just leave it to rolex, ap and pp?
those independents?

is halios independent? means satki?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #4687
Great Supremacy Member

Collecting watches is not an investment, its a hobby. The appreciation in value is just a secondary benefit.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 AM   #4688
Great Supremacy Member

No lah...I was like you once...young and idealistic, don't care about resale prices and brands that most watch buyers are not familiar with.. I lost a lot of money siol.

Now 20 years older, I think differently liao.

Put it this way, our fathers and uncles were right when they said Rolex and Patek were the only brands worth buying.
wah i think someone here can be your good friend.

what's the bugger name? that siao lang

later he sure appear and take you as god one.

maybe is crone
Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 AM   #4689
Great Supremacy Member

Well I think I have made my point in this thread. To all those who have read my posts, it's up to you to decide.

This is the darker side of watch purchasing that watch brand fanboys will not show you. They will go gaga over pics of your watch when you first buy it. They won't be there when you are trying to sell your watch and the highest offers you get are 50% of what you think is a fair price that you listed for.

Often your head will have a battle with your heart. Often what your heart likes will not be good for your wallet or bank account.

Sorry for the pessimism, but I think a good dose of reality is needed in these times of skyrocketing watch prices fed by artificial lack of supply.

Just a couple of years ago, you guys who are now thinking whether to pay $6k for a fugging Tudor, you could buy a Rolex Submariner non-ceramic.

Just a couple of years ago, a pre-owned GMT2C 116710LN with box and papers could be bought for $8k.

Just remember that when you're shelling out $6k for a Tudor

And to those noobs, do you think prices will never come down? LOL! Maybe gaoxing84 thinks I am a noob cos of the watches I showed. But I was there in the 1990s, 2004, 2005, 2009 (crash), 2010(bottom), 2012(beginning of recovery) and I am happy to say I am still witnessing in 2019 the greatest build up to the upcoming biggest crash ever.
cb no link leh, say you been there in the 90s. i also what. got link to anything you say?
btw
sg ppl satki one. even economy no good, everyone can shell out money to buy cars, houses and satki watches.

cb, you already say a couple of years back. knn now can you show me the way to buy a 6k non ceramic sub date?

wtf, 6k is now my budget into the watch world, what can i buy for 6k. knn u ask me save another 8k just to buy a sub date. nabei, need wait how long sia. somemore i may not like the sub date unless i buy for the brand and resale value.
but if buying something i don't like at my stage of life. buy for fk. keep at home?
lol

nao hia, now or never. ti ti save. might as well say save till a PP 5980

but 5980 no kick got for 5970. or not better, grandmaster chime la. diu.

anyhow recommend people.

Last edited by gaoxing84; 08-05-2019 at 01:17 AM..
Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #4690

Another useless WOT, and putting words in my mouth

I did not recommment them to do the same as me, my recommendation to newbies is always spend within your means.
Don’t try to confuse the situation.

Your original WOT started by telling everyone that only resale value is paramount to having a watch collection and I disagreed with that
If someone 6k to spend on Tudor, good for them, if they cannot then there is always Seiko and Orient.
So instead of buying what u like, u rather they “forced” themselves to like something with resale value, what’s the point to the colllecton?
If someone who is NOT interested in watches, but just want a respectable daily wear, sure pls buy a Rolex.

If you need a resale value to justify in order to spend on a watch, pls don’t; treat the good resale as a bonus, not as a consideration to recoup your money.
I rather u go invest the money to enjoy the returns since u are so worried about the 6k, what if it turns out like Pam?

There are many ways to enjoy ur watch hobby, don’t have to put others down to justify ur position.
I’m new to this luxury watch segment. Do you mind sharing about what happen to Pam
Old 08-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #4691
Master Member

Just the strap keepers is tough, have to buy whole strap set usually.

At most buy OEM?
i thought the keeper would be easy to find a replacement since its so cheap but it's so hard! I'm currently on their rubber strap alr, got it cheap @ $50 haha maybe might resort to taobao's 50 yuan or less
Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #4692
High Supremacy Member

lol then you really don't know GS.

not everything is resale value.

want resale value, put money in some investment portfolio or properties and wear a gshock. fat ah fat
Not everything is resale value, but do you want to come out of ownership of it looking like a fool? A fool and his money are soon parted, my friend.
fatbastardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #4693
High Supremacy Member

this is just dumb deh.

sg not alot people buy because got noobs like you.

overseas, people is buy JLC many many, even ah tiong hoot their reverso
I also bought before. After selling off for a fraction of what I paid, told myself never again.

When the time comes for Tiongs to learn the hard way about JLC ownership, they will tell themselves, never again also.

Let gaoxing84 buy up all the Jlc ba
Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #4694
High Supremacy Member

no sell no lose.

knn rolex buy this and that, standard looking.

AP earn meh? you buy come out on the spot lose except for some models.

PP even more jialat. can buy it at retail, need to scare lose meh? because you can already afford to lose that few cents
Notice I only mentioned Nautilus for PP. Because it was one of the few PP that had pricing accessible to most people. $30k to $35k for 5711. Sometimes even below $30k for pre-owned. 5712, add $10k more. Want rose gold, add another $10k to the steel. You anyhow close eyes buy one piece last time pre-owned, now also chao chao double liao. Can add Aquanaut to the list also. I remember the time when it used to be regarded as one of the ugliest watches ever, nobody wanted, cheap like fug, now value at least double.

The other PPs... Forget it, even though some are nice, like their AC, PC and PC Chrono but I am not in that league... I dunno how to appreciate those.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #4695
High Supremacy Member

wah i think someone here can be your good friend.

what's the bugger name? that siao lang

later he sure appear and take you as god one.

maybe is crone
Sure. Can intro me?

In life there are winners and losers lah.

Having been a loser before holding all these worthless watches from fugged up brands, I don't want to repeat my mistake.

You can go bring all the newbies here to horlan ba. At the same time, you can console them "dont sell, no lose!" "Watch collection is a hobby, not investment!"

You all can sit together staring at your fools gold equivalent of watches bought for passion and w@nk each other off and cum ba.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.