Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #4771
Great Supremacy Member

All these cb edmw people coming in
gaoxing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #4772
Master Member

In 2009,

5 pieces of IWC at $6k each = $30k

1 piece of PP 5711 blue dial at $30k each = $30k (that time only got blue dial for 5711 steel)

Assuming the owners hold the above watches until now, need money, want to sell.

In 2019,

5 pieces of 10 year old IWC at $3k each = $15k (assuming you sell yourself, if sell to dealer he will offer you $2k each nia)

1 piece of 10 year old 5711 blue dial at = $70k (very conservative estimate)

It is simple arithmetic. Instead of buying 5 small-time watches, save up to buy one big-time one. It will pay off down the road.

Besides, you can only wear one watch out at any time unless you bring along your watch case with you on the road and show people..(siao Lang) So at any one time, people only see what you are wearing at the moment. They don't know you have another 4 pieces of IWC at home

In EDMW parlance, "go big, or go home"
Buy 30k of apple/Microsoft/amazon shares better returns from 10yr ago, why waste time playing watch?
Say want to advice newbies, man on the street on their purchase now talk until PP
Edmw people really like to talk a lot.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #4773
High Supremacy Member

But from AD cheaper right ?but is it because no stock that's why no choice have to buy 13-14k?
This. Is the gist of all these arguments we are having here.

There is a reason why Tudors are now going for $6k and higher for the Harrod and Bucherer limited editions
fatbastardx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #4774
Great Supremacy Member

Watch collecting is a hobby to me, not an investment.

If want to invest all buy amazon stock when it was cheap cheap surely good yield.

Like many of my hobbies, I lose money. But the hobby gained me happiness at some point in time and that's enuff.

Losing few ks over a few years is typical for most hobbies. Be it watching movies, collecting toys, playing camera or hp go hokiday holiday etc, not everything can be measured in monetary gains.

Making mistakes in buying selling is also part of the journey till you will reach a zen and equilibrium state.

Life is short. Go for the things you love within your means. As long as u not Rob steal beg to own the watch...
Knn just tell him.
Keep . money in bank. Don't travel. Don't enjoy.
Stay home everyday listen radio cause buy TV will lose money
Don't use fan. Use natural wind.
Cause buy fan lose money.
Don't wear clothes. Naked. Buy clothes lose money.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #4775
Great Supremacy Member

This. Is the gist of all these arguments we are having here.

There is a reason why Tudors are now going for $6k and higher for the Harrod and Bucherer limited editions
Supply and demand. Confirm no study this guy
Old 08-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #4776
Supremacy Member

iV3RsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #4777
High Supremacy Member

Buy 30k of apple/Microsoft/amazon shares better returns from 10yr ago, why waste time playing watch?
Say want to advice newbies, man on the street on their purchase now talk until PP
Edmw people really like to talk a lot.
Imagine the newbie buys at $6k each (used) in 2019: one IWC Portuguese, one JLC Master Control Date, one Panerai (take your pick), one Cartier Santos XL, one Rolex DJ36......

If he could control himself, he would have gotten a... Used Audemars Piguet 15300 blue dial in steel and bracelet.

In 2029, that AP 15300 will be worth more than double of his 5 second/third tier watches put together.

You catch my drift?

We're talking watches here, not Amazon/Microsoft/FB shares.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #4778
Great Supremacy Member

Imagine the newbie buys at $6k each (used) in 2019: one IWC Portuguese, one JLC Master Control Date, one Panerai (take your pick), one Cartier Santos XL, one Rolex DJ36......

If he could control himself, he would have gotten a... Used Audemars Piguet 15300 blue dial in steel and bracelet.

In 2029, that AP 15300 will be worth more than double of his 5 second/third tier watches put together.

You catch my drift?

We're talking watches here, not Amazon/Microsoft/FB shares.
U fking sure 15300 will double?
You can predict future?
Is it you Dr strange?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #4779
High Supremacy Member

U fking sure 15300 will double?
You can predict future?
Is it you Dr strange?
Read carefully, I did not say the AP will be twice its current value.

In 2029, those 5 other watches value would have gone down considerably. But I dare say, based on past track record the RO 39mm case size of various models, the AP would appreciate in value, to the point of being double that of the 5 other watches' total value in 2029,if not more. It's been proven what, time and time again.

Last edited by fatbastardx; 08-05-2019 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #4780
Great Supremacy Member

Read carefully, I did not say the AP will be twice its current value.

In 2029, those 5 other watches value would have gone down considerably. But I dare say, based on past track record the RO 39mm case size of various models, the AP would appreciate in value, to the point of being at least double that of the 5 other watches' total value in 2029.
Lol so 2029 those watches will be worth nothing?
Given your style of depre

Hahahaha dude. U is Jin funny.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #4781
High Supremacy Member

Lol so 2029 those watches will be worth nothing?
Given your style of depre

Hahahaha dude. U is Jin funny.
You do the math lor.

Anyway, it's good for you since you're already into AP. But yours is the 41mm one, may be good for you, but market doesn't like it as much as the 39mm one. Nevertheless, your 41mm chrono value will also appreciate in 2029 lah, give and take some fluctuation in between these years because of the high possibility of a global financial crisis.

If I were you, I would keep your 41mm ROC anniversary model, and fire sale the other watches ASAP while the going is still good, and buy a pre-owned AP at bargain price when sentiments turn bad.. which seems pretty soon

Last edited by fatbastardx; 08-05-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #4782
High Supremacy Member

Do you know the AP ROO "The Beast"?

Titanium case and bracelet, blue "end of days" older style dial.

10 years ago the pre-owned dealers couldn't sell it cos every one was going crazy over the updated ROO then, with the rubberclad, the themes, and the three colourful ones with hornback gator strap.

Pre-owned prices of The Beast went down to $14k, $15k asking price at pre-owned dealers.

Today, the same model of that vintage is trading for over $30+k.

In comparison, a G series Volcano/Safari/Navy can be hooted for $16k. The rubberclad of G series, lagi no need to say.. can hoot for even lower.

What I mean to say is, for AP, choosing wisely can reap you dividends. Today you can be wearing a $30+k vintage ROO that cost you $14k to buy. While those siao eh who hooted a Volcano at $24k 10 years ago would be losing out now, and plus a few K in servicing fees in between.

Last edited by fatbastardx; 08-05-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Old 08-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #4783
Supremacy Member

Err.. I feel that value and depreciation does play a part in our purchasing decisions.
For example, my heart tells me that I should go for hublot spirit of big bang. I really like the case shape, not bad movement and the fact that it resembles a RM knowing fully well that I can never afford a RM in my lifetime. But my head is telling me to get a rolex dssd blue for around the same price (both grey sets). Branding wise rolex >hublot, I feel that I can get 'more' watch out of dssd. Also thinking of service intervals, servicing cost some time down the line.

Sent from HUAWEI ALP-L29 using GAGT
Life too short, if you can afford it, get the Big Bang. If got no budget, wait for good deal. If cannot afford, just wear what you can and be happy with it.

Simple? Simple.. Beats moaning about past losses indirectly by arguing ad nauseum about resale value.
cyrenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #4784
Supremacy Member

Why you all keep feeding the troll ah

He happy can already, never force your own thinking onto others online

Canít wait to get Seiko snowflake when I go Japan
runningman.snsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #4785
Supremacy Member

I thought EDMW is most toxic.

Damn... I was wrong...
SmartNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.