HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Watch Thread - Part 16

Like Tree877Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #961
Supremacy Member

SEIKO Kakis, this one good pricing mah?(was thinking of pushing down to $2.5k)

Not sure if spring drive is good technology as I no experience.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 LITE using GAGT
Kyo_kusanagi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #962
Master Member

Anyone heard of or has a Gorilla brand watch? Any comments on this brand?
dunch waste $ on tis brand
bwaysaikryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #963

I sent in mine in Nov/Dec last year via the boutique. Decided to do it with them because I don't know any third party who can service the El Primero movement.

Overall the experience wasn't very good. To be fair, the service staff at the boutique were good and helpful. But I couldn't get in touch with the service center at all, except via a portal which shows the status of the servicing. The portal was not updated at all, and I only received my watch after a few months. The worst part - the service cost over $1,000 and I had no clue where my watch was or what was going on during the few months.
Hi what was your problems with the watch?
You have any ideas about the striking 10th red hand?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #964

SEIKO Kakis, this one good pricing mah?(was thinking of pushing down to $2.5k)

Not sure if spring drive is good technology as I no experience.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 LITE using GAGT
there are tons of ongoing debate over the Spring Drive.
i was in the same dilemma some time ago as to get or not get the SD

the SD has all the parts of a mechanical watch needed to creates, stores power, yet the time keeping part is a Tri-synchro referring to a Quartz crystal.

a mechanical watch time keeping part is done by balance wheel and escapement

depends on the perspective one look from, SD can be consider as a Quartz using Mechanical movement for power or a Mechanical movement using a Quartz for time keeping.

in the end i concluded myself that SD is a Quartz that makes use of Mechanical movements for power.

a watch is to present and keep time thus if the SD uses a Quartz for time keeping instead of mechanical parts such as Balance Wheel and Escapement i will rather get a Casio G-Shock.
Kyo_kusanagi86 likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #965

Hi what was your problems with the watch?
You have any ideas about the striking 10th red hand?
I dropped the watch and some parts of the movement got dislodged. So it was a major repair. Maybe it's normal for a major repair to take a few months, but what irks me was the boutique had no clue what's going on with my watch, and there's no way i can check with the service center. Even the estimated date was way off.

I didn't have the striking hand problem that you have though.
carleon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #966

the SD has all the parts of a mechanical watch needed to creates, stores power, yet the time keeping part is a Tri-synchro referring to a Quartz crystal.

depends on the perspective one look from, SD can be consider as a Quartz using Mechanical movement for power or a Mechanical movement using a Quartz for time keeping.

in the end i concluded myself that SD is a Quartz that makes use of Mechanical movements for power.

a watch is to present and keep time thus if the SD uses a Quartz for time keeping instead of mechanical parts such as Balance Wheel and Escapement i will rather get a Casio G-Shock.
I just got a Skyflake, and I love the sweeping hands achieved by Spring Drive, on top of the other stuff on the watch. But that's my own preference.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #967

I dropped the watch and some parts of the movement got dislodged. So it was a major repair. Maybe it's normal for a major repair to take a few months, but what irks me was the boutique had no clue what's going on with my watch, and there's no way i can check with the service center. Even the estimated date was way off.

I didn't have the striking hand problem that you have though.
thus you dont have this problem with your striking 10th as pointed by the red arrow?

Old 07-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #968

thus you dont have this problem with your striking 10th as pointed by the red arrow?

Mine is the Synopsis model. My second hand is in the open heart, so I don’t have this problem. You can try bringing yours to the boutique and get them to evaluate for you. Or at least, you can compare with those on display.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #969
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ppl asking if it’s a good technology or reliability and u go to answer this? On debate if it’s mechanical or quartz? and preference?

@ Kyo_kusanagi86
Not hard to find info online. Reliability bad product would have discontinued
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/history-seiko-spring-drive-movement/
Kyo_kusanagi86 likes this.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #970
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone heard of or has a Gorilla brand watch? Any comments on this brand?
Swiss brand with a miyota movement? Over usd$1k expensive for a citizen movement. I hope u getting a deal
https://www.gorillawatches.ch/product/bandit/
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #971
Master Member

Orient Star dressy piece
arc13 and bubblemunche like this.
cichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 PM   #972

may I know what is the model of this watch?
UnRiVJuNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #973
Master Member

Swiss brand with a miyota movement? Over usd$1k expensive for a citizen movement. I hope u getting a deal
https://www.gorillawatches.ch/product/bandit/
Cant believe there are some models (Drift) which are over 4k! lol then again I rather get a tudor for that pricing
Old 08-07-2020, 12:27 AM   #974
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just got a Skyflake, and I love the sweeping hands achieved by Spring Drive, on top of the other stuff on the watch. But that's my own preference.
See picture please.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #975

nothing against SD.
i too likes the Snowflake dial and SD sweeping hand

just that im quite concerns with how long before GS came up with another better innovation and put more focus on that.
look what happens to Kinetic nowadays?

however, pure mechanical movements such as calibre 321 -> 861 -> 1861, El Primero, Heuer 02 have been around for decades
even my old vintage Seiko Turtle JPM 6306-7001 has been running so fine after more than 30+ years
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.