Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Watch Thread - Part 6

Like Tree13673Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #8911
Master Member

Monaco gulf calibre 12 going for $10,050 before 50% off

ooh, nice one - too bad I'm not in singapore!
Old 22-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #8912

Seiko snkm97k
Vintage Style Seiko – SNKM97K | Yeoman's Watch Review

Can get it from Mustafa for less than $200..
Its a rather big watch, 44mm without crown.
i really like watches from the 60's and 70's so this is right up my alley...however the size... anyone else feel that the new seikos and citizens are just huge ?
Old 22-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #8913

Monaco gulf calibre 12 going for $10,050 before 50% off

this is a really nice piece of work, and looks great in pictures. but is really quite loud. i have one in the storeroom literally "like new in box" from about 4-5 years back, maybe because of the working environment back then.

last time i took a look a look was maybe a year ago. totally forgot about it til now. maybe its time to dig it out
Old 22-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #8914
Master Member

Any gal looking for Mr Right?
Old 22-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #8915
Supremacy Member

thinking of changing the strap yo brown like this. brown is closer to skin colour so thought could be nicer..

any comments?

original:

any comment on this? should i try brown strap or stick to tradition, black strap with black face?
Old 22-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #8916
Supremacy Member

any comment on this? should i try brown strap or stick to tradition, black strap with black face?
depends on your skin tone and preference leh.......
but I prefer gold on brown strap
zzyzx and Lurker_13 like this.
Old 22-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #8917

following on from my previous unboxing post, i guess its no big surprise especially to microbrand followers, its the 43.5mm helios delfin 500m diver.

i'm amazed at the level of detailing in the delfin. the lines just seem to ooze into each other, no hard stops, very pleasing.

nicely signed crown, but i love those deep grooves that took a lot more milling time than the regular lightly grooved crowns.

applied logo and printing are very consistent and so far faultless.

even the subtle texture of the inner and outer dial - makes it seems like its two pieces but only just, and under the right lighting.

the sapphire bezel is a work of art... perfectly rounded yet completely protected by the steel bezel and the indicators are luminous too!

lume isn't the brightest because of the limited size of the lume area, but its decent enough and has a nice modern blue hue

here's a comparison shot with the other micros and a few reference divers. although its pretty hefty at 43.5mm the rounded edges and lack of hard cues makes it "wear smaller" than it is.

christmas came early for me this year, so early season's greetings to one and all Ho ho ho !
pwillie, soilwork, cichlid and 3 others like this.
Old 22-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #8918

following on from my previous unboxing post, i guess its no big surprise especially to microbrand followers, its the 43.5mm helios delfin 500m diver.

i'm amazed at the level of detailing in the delfin. the lines just seem to ooze into each other, no hard stops, very pleasing.

nicely signed crown, but i love those deep grooves that took a lot more milling time than the regular lightly grooved crowns.

even the subtle texture of the inner and outer dial - makes it seems like its two pieces but only just, and under the right lighting.

the sapphire bezel is a work of art... perfectly rounded yet completely protected by the steel bezel and the indicators are luminous too!

lume isn't the brightest because of the limited size of the lume area, but its decent enough and has a nice modern blue hue

here's a comparison shot with the other micros and a few reference divers. although its pretty hefty at 43.5mm the rounded edges and lack of hard cues makes it "wear smaller" than it is.

christmas came early for me this year, so early season's greetings to one and all Ho ho ho !
Nice photos on the details!
Mine just touch down in sg.. Still waiting patiently..
a562140 likes this.
Old 22-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #8919

guys, ur delfin comes with the ss bracelet? cos jason informed that buyers who wan the ss bracelet to deliver with the watch have to wait..
Old 22-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #8920

got consider the tempest commordore? saw the review on worn and wound and it looks pretty good.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #8921
Arch-Supremacy Member

Seiko snkm97k
Vintage Style Seiko – SNKM97K | Yeoman's Watch Review

Can get it from Mustafa for less than $200..
Its a rather big watch, 44mm without crown.
For less than $200?! Good price sia. I never really been to Mustafa before. Can direct any specific level or corner I can find it?

If I do get it, I am thinking to change out the metal strap. Any suggestions???
Old 22-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #8922
Master Member

Long time no see everyone Had been really really busy with work. Was even down with flu and had to miss some watch events and put aeroplane to some of the bros here. really very pai sey...... In the past week something happened which I thought I'd share. Really exhausted from work here so pardon me for the lousy story telling.

In my work I have interns. This particular young man was assigned to me (he was awaiting enlistment) and I have been most impressed with him. Extremely high IQ and EQ, and most of all he was very very humble. One thing bugged me though - he would leave the office right on the dot (never go out with us) and would spend his lunch sleeping in the office most of the time.
You probably guessed it; he was born into poverty. He would leave the office right on time to go for his next job which would only end close to midnight (better not reveal too much here). Both parents are sick and unemployed; and he has a number of siblings. The consolation is that all siblings are doing very well in top JCs (all on financial aid), and he and an older brother are working to support the family. When I brought the interns out with me to do charity work on weekends he would always be the one putting in the most effort and enthusiasm.

I was chatting with my wife about this fine young man when I felt like buying him a G-shock for his NS. My G-shock served me very well during my NS and I felt he should have one too. When I was trying to find out more about his family I realized he was surfing the net looking at Seiko divers. So I showed him my photobucket album and he was mesmerized by my Seiko white mini monster (yes the one I bought from Gaoxing for my cousin but ended up as mine). He asked if he could buy it because he cannot afford a brand new one, so I told him just pay what he was comfortable with, and he said $90 without the bracelet.
I brought them out for supper. He told me he had never eaten kway chup before so I ordered the biggest share of kway chup for him until his eyes popped out hahahaha......Then I gave him the watch, and I told him the bracelet was free-of-charge. His eyes were gleaming like a little boy receiving his dream toy and then he dug out from his wallet the $90 to pay me.

I think at this point everyone here would have done what I did - I refused his payment.

I told him he deserves it and I'm very happy the watch has found an owner who loves it much more than I do. I also told him his family needs the $90 for his parents' medical bill so the watch is a gift from me to him because I saw my younger self in him, and how I worked hard to pull myself out of poverty.
His eyes were wet, and he kept thanking me profusely. He promised to pay me once he gets his next pay check but I told him to only pay me the money when he earns his first million dollars. He's got tremendous potential; I am very certain he will make it.

I think it's amazing how much joy (and probably inspiration) we can bring into a person's life if we just be a little more observant and caring. I think tonight we will both sleep with smiles on our faces, but my smile will definitely be bigger than his.

Goodbye, white mini monster. Glad that you have found a new and more loving owner
That is a watch story I'll remember. Yes, we need more bosses like you. I got a great boss too and I'm grateful for her. I'm also encouraged to be a boss with a heart too especially to those who work hard, give their best.
yattokame likes this.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #8923

this is a really nice piece of work, and looks great in pictures. but is really quite loud. i have one in the storeroom literally "like new in box" from about 4-5 years back, maybe because of the working environment back then.

last time i took a look a look was maybe a year ago. totally forgot about it til now. maybe its time to dig it out
I was at tha sale today. The tag heuer watches are quite tempting, especially thr monaco.

Saw the gulf monaco calibre 16 and some calibre 11 which are about 1k more.

I tried them but realised they fit too thick and big on my puny wrist. Otherwise i would grab one.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #8924

A little bit more digging show this watch listed as 8k plus, but today at dickson, it is 10k plus with 50 pct sale. Hmmm.... really got discount?

Tag Heuer, 39mm "Monaco Gulf" L. Edition of 2500pcs Chronograph in Steel | Passions Watch Exchange - Singapore 2nd Hand Watch Dealer
rachdanon likes this.
Old 22-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #8925
Master Member

To Yatto kor kor - A simple act of caring creates an endless ripple... That comes back to you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRf6wAR-eEY
kokjj87 likes this.

Last edited by Lurker_13; 22-11-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.