HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Working Shoe for Young Exec

Like Tree1075Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #9436

Way back when they are still using USPS, no GST was charged. I think they have earlier this year change the carrier for Asia....
I was rather lucky that earlier this year when I bought 2 pairs from Carmina and shipped under UPS managed to avoid paying any GST.

Whew.
Old 27-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #9437

I got hit with GST even with 1 pair of Carmina.
When it is more than S$400, we should expect GST.
It depends on where you are buying from and how the shoes are delivered.
It does not necessarily mean that you will get hit by gst once the value crosses 400sgd.
packages delivered by UPS / Fedex / Dhl almost invariably get hit with gst if > 400sgd.
However, if the local postal service (of the country of origin) is used ... Which in turn translates to either delivery via singpost or speedpost locally ... gst can usually be avoided.
In this case, since the discussion is about sko SPECIFICALLY, their free delivery utilises their local postal service (swedish post) and thus normally escapes local gst.
I am thus highlighting an EXCEPTION to this normal circumstance so that others may be aware of POSSIBLE adverse outcomes of using sko's "free shipping above 8000sek" offer
Old 27-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #9438
Supremacy Member

I was rather lucky that earlier this year when I bought 2 pairs from Carmina and shipped under UPS managed to avoid paying any GST.

Whew.
Did u use a company or residential mailing address? If corporate, gst may not be collected upfront but consolidated to your company's account with ups for gst on other delivery items
Old 27-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #9439
Supremacy Member

But don't you ~
Step on my blue suede shoes ~
You can do anything ~
But stay off of my blue suede shoes ~
- Elvis Presley

This is a huge leap of faith since I have absolutely no experience wearing Andres Sendra shoes but I'm glad that 'leap' proved futile after much exploration. Few email correspondences with Mario Rodriguez confirmed that I'm a 6 UK in John last. At first I was a bit skeptical since I have wide, short feet, but all these skepticism were quelled abruptly after wearing (and walking) the double monks for a while. Nailed the sizing! No need for break-in period, well at least to me.

The shoes were packed into individual shoe bags for each shoe. It comes with a complimentary shoe horn (this is very much appreciated!) too.

Usually, RTW shoes "gags" my wide feet especially at the toe box area (with the notable exception of Carmina's RAIN & Vass's New Peter lasts), but these pair of double monks adds to my ideal list.

Speaking of which, the suede feels soft and smooth to the touch. Caressing it either direction will bring the suede to a different shade (for e.g. lighter to darker, and vice versa).

Oh, if I were to nitpick, there were a few minor scratches visibly seen on the shoe horn. I can't rant or whine much as this comes complimentary though.
What's the damage? Where do u rate them on a scale of popular shoemakers?
Old 27-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #9440

It depends on where you are buying from and how the shoes are delivered.
It does not necessarily mean that you will get hit by gst once the value crosses 400sgd.
packages delivered by UPS / Fedex / Dhl almost invariably get hit with gst if > 400sgd.
However, if the local postal service (of the country of origin) is used ... Which in turn translates to either delivery via singpost or speedpost locally ... gst can usually be avoided.
In this case, since the discussion is about sko SPECIFICALLY, their free delivery utilises their local postal service (swedish post) and thus normally escapes local gst.
I am thus highlighting an EXCEPTION to this normal circumstance so that others may be aware of POSSIBLE adverse outcomes of using sko's "free shipping above 8000sek" offer
This. I've actually never been hit by GST when local EMS service is used; not even for EG - where the declared customs value is enough to qualify for GST 4 times over.

It is important to note that thundermarch is a wanted shoe smuggler though.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #9441

This. I've actually never been hit by GST when local EMS service is used; not even for EG - where the declared customs value is enough to qualify for GST 4 times over.

It is important to note that thundermarch is a wanted shoe smuggler though.
Haha. i almost forgot about that.
Hmm... Which reminds me. I better keep a low Internet profile
Old 27-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #9442

I hope i am not offending anyone with this but it might be better not to discuss this on a public forum as if one has scored a prized trophy.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #9443

I hope i am not offending anyone with this but it might be better not to discuss this on a public forum as if one has scored a prized trophy.
No kidding. Btw I'll see you at my dealer's place next week. 4kgs?
Old 27-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #9444
High Supremacy Member

Be careful with this benefit though. For a single pair of shoes that cost more than 8000 sek that would be good.
I had on one occasion bought 3 pairs. And though shipping became free, perhaps due to the large conspicuous package size. I was hit by gst when it should normally not be the case.
Thank you for highlighting this.

Btw, for carmina rain vs simpson, do you size up for simpson last? Or remain same size as rain last?
Old 27-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #9445

I'll text you. I'll send for a transport so dun bother driving down.
Old 27-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #9446

Interested! Do keep me in the loop on this! Thanks!

Hi guys, don't mind me asking but I am trying to see how is the interest level here if I were to open a preorder/mass order on Loakes (all ranges), if I can hit the desired quantity needed I can give all a good price, for example the number floating in my head now is for 1880 range, 300 SGD (all in gst plus shipping). Needless to say discounts for more pairs of shoes are included in my mind

Disclaimer: if this does happen, I do earn a slight profit (low margins) for all the administrative and logistical issues. as I am working a day contract job which pays low and also have a interest to pursue such an avenue as a business experience.

Thanks guys let me know how you think!
Old 27-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #9447
Supremacy Member

Btw, for carmina rain vs simpson, do you size up for simpson last? Or remain same size as rain last?
Depends on your feet type. Have you had any carmina experience already?

For most people (based on unsubstantiated & anecdotal whatever-u-can-gather-from-the-internet data) it seems like Rain will fit 'true to size' (hate that term) and simpson requires going up 0.5

Some people may find Rain too spacious and either downsize 0.5, live with the extra space (because overall shoe length does not permit downsizing) or skip the last entirely. These people are likely to take simpson last 'true to size'.

Last edited by All in a Day; 27-04-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Old 27-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #9448
Supremacy Member

'this' as in GST or shoe smuggling?
Old 27-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #9449

i size up by half for simpson on most occasions apart from loafers. Sometimes i feel i might get away taking my "true size" (Which is typically 8.5) for simpson suedes. But i repeatedly chicken out at the last minute.
Rain 8.5 fits me pretty good.
As a comparison,
Simpson 9
Rain 8.5
Inca 8.5
Uetam (loafer last almost exclusively) 8.5
Forest 8.5
Oscar - I'm not going to try again. Omg
dark_aLLeY likes this.

Last edited by thundermarch; 27-04-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 27-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #9450
High Supremacy Member

Depends on your feet type. Have you had any carmina experience already?

For most people (based on unsubstantiated & anecdotal whatever-u-can-gather-from-the-internet data) it seems like Rain will fit 'true to size' (hate that term) and simpson requires going up 0.5

Some people may find Rain too spacious and either downsize 0.5, live with the extra space (because overall shoe length does not permit downsizing) or skip the last entirely. These people are likely to take simpson last 'true to size'.
Yes, I had tried on the Rain last, wholecut (owned by my younger brother), and fits ok, but the instep is kinda high, making the top of my feet (not toe) kinda snug instead.

Last edited by dark_aLLeY; 27-04-2015 at 02:18 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.