Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emeraldz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me like which type of loafers (in terms of the toe shape) would u prefer and why?

o0480064011939742753.jpg
11909983_422497931273408_275655234_n.jpg

Last edited:

BallGag

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me like which type of loafers would u prefer and why?
The shape of the toes are different, what are they called btw? Square toe & round toe?

I'm not sure which type to buy. The pointed one is harder to match and more formal right?
Below is a jm weston vs llyr

o0480064011939742753.jpg
11909983_422497931273408_275655234_n.jpg

Comparing apples

To oranges

BallGag

Reaction score
Bro, :s11:

I'm not talking about the brand, image is used for reference. I just want to know more bout the shape of the toes like preference etc..

[Sorry, replying on my mobile phone so my post got cut short. I'm not talking about the brands either; the second pic I posted isn't Llyr. If you look closely, you'll find the both loafers you posted differ in more than just toe shape.

It's really not possible to compare the two styles like that and objectively decide which one is more formal. For one thing, there are too many variables - material, colour, construction, etc which will influence how formal the shoes are. Secondly, because the styles of both loafers are radically difference, I don't think it'll be fair to compare them based on toe shapes ; it'll be like comparing a pair of balmoral boots with a pair of plain toe bluchers based on the number of eyelets - can you do it? Yes you can. What does it accomplish? Nothing, really.

I think Moccasin-styled loafers are generally less formal than traditional penny loafers, but I'd rather wear the blue JM Weston 180's than the Llyr with a suit.

stormcontrol

Reaction score
I google and found the following design I like..

http://www.bradshawandlloyd.com/loake-202

can't find similar one for meermin..

how much are these? and how to make sure I order the correct size?

Note the last of the shoe, find models made using a similar last. Compile a list. Go to Robinson's and pray they have at least one on your list to try. And don't worry, the sales staff there are used to people just going there to try on Loakes only to go home and buy online.

I've got a pair of Meermin Hiro Oxfords in 9.5UK, you can PM me if you want to try it out.

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lemme guess, creative or account servicing?

Lol. My client is my boss lah. I'm a backend desk jockey.

Surprisingly all the salespersons dress like cowboys. Which is why I'm adverse to anything non-traditional.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
Singaporeans don't really care much about the attire I guess. I am also doing sales but as long as I wear pants, leather shoes and a long sleeved shirt, my clients are all OK with it already. Sometimes even dark jeans also can pass. Lol.

I also don't understand why people will consider a guy who wears loud shirts with contrast lining looks smarter than one who wears a simple plain shirt. When I was younger and didn't know much about tailoring. I also made many shirts with those loud colors and all sorts of details like contrasting buttons and buttonholes. However, during that period, I got alot of comments that my clothes look good. Now that I wear simple shirts which fit well but without all those flashy stuff, they asked why I downgrade and stopped going for tailored clothes. Lol.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

Last edited:

urbanturban

Master Member
Reaction score
Those people with contrast stitching and constrast lining will look back at their old photos (in the future) and wonder why they look so weird at that time.

It is amazing how Frank Sinatra, Astaire, Bogart all look dapper today, whilst the fashionable clothes of those yesteryears (Saturday Night Fever, Scarface etc) all look ridiculous now.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those people with contrast stitching and constrast lining will look back at their old photos (in the future) and wonder why they look so weird at that time.

It is amazing how Frank Sinatra, Astaire, Bogart all look dapper today, whilst the fashionable clothes of those yesteryears (Saturday Night Fever, Scarface etc) all look ridiculous now.
A bit OT but what's your take on Thom Browne stuff

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT

likehotbutter

Master Member
Reaction score
I also don't understand why people will consider a guy who wears loud shirts with contrast lining looks smarter than one who wears a simple plain shirt. When I was younger and didn't know much about tailoring. I also made many shirts with those loud colors and all sorts of details like contrasting buttons and buttonholes. However, during that period, I got alot of comments that my clothes look good. Now that I wear simple shirts which fit well but without all those flashy stuff, they asked why I downgrade and stopped going for tailored clothes. Lol.

depends on industry and clientele social segment that you have to face i guess.

flashy/floral collars, contrast thread, cuff, placket are pretty prevalent for ground sales personnel from what I've noticed :s13:

nethdale

Reaction score
Note the last of the shoe, find models made using a similar last. Compile a list. Go to Robinson's and pray they have at least one on your list to try. And don't worry, the sales staff there are used to people just going there to try on Loakes only to go home and buy online.

I've got a pair of Meermin Hiro Oxfords in 9.5UK, you can PM me if you want to try it out.

Hi Stormcontrol,

Pls allow me to "hijack" this thread for personal benefit, before I fire the buy button at Meermin, may I know what is your usual shoe size you wear for eg in US or EU? I am eyeing Meermin's double monk or Oxfords in Hiro last and they had suggested size for double monk.

Appreciate your reply and thank you very much.

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks for the offer..
before I go down and try at robinson..what is the price diff in SG and online?

xtreamzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Stormcontrol,

Pls allow me to "hijack" this thread for personal benefit, before I fire the buy button at Meermin, may I know what is your usual shoe size you wear for eg in US or EU? I am eyeing Meermin's double monk or Oxfords in Hiro last and they had suggested size for double monk.

Appreciate your reply and thank you very much.
PSA: there's quite a few meermin oxfords In hiro on sale at carousell, if you can find one in your size why not go down and give it a try and if it fits, purchase them locally. Given the strong exchange rate now their pricing are around the same if not cheaper.

I got one pair in UK 8, but as of late the shoe is killing me, feels like it is bruising the bones on the top of my left feet leaving it painful after wearing for a day. No idea why though, the first few wears this issue was absent. :(

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT

Last edited:

nethdale

Reaction score
PSA: there's quite a few meermin oxfords In hiro on sale at carousell, if you can find one in your size why not go down and give it a try and if it fits, purchase them locally. Given the strong exchange rate now their pricing are around the same if not cheaper.

I got one pair in UK 8, but as of late the shoe is killing me, feels like it is bruising the bones on the top of my left feet leaving it painful after wearing for a day. No idea why though, the first few wears this issue was absent. :(

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT

Hi,

Do you mean the carousell in Singapore? If yes, despite there are offers on Oxford, the sizes are too small. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.