Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

theblueark

Reaction score
Hi, I’m thinking to get a pair of working shoes from earnest and collectives. Anyone buy the shoes from them?

I know 3 people with their dress shoes and I have a pair of their loafers. Great quality for the price. Better than the other common offerings at that price point of Aldo-Pedro.

JamesTBD

Reaction score
Thanks for review. I’ll get myself one pair to try it out.

I know 3 people with their dress shoes and I have a pair of their loafers. Great quality for the price. Better than the other common offerings at that price point of Aldo-Pedro.

RannToral

Reaction score
Making the switch to re soleable shoes and looking at both local and overseas retailers, mostly in Indonesia is what I have seen in reddit that's moderately priced and still decent quality, Vietnam seems comparable in price locally.

Any advice on the type of leather used for shoes, Indonesian retailers give quite a few options from pull up, Ilcea and calf etc.
Tempted to try cordovan shell since it's supposedly robust, went to quite a few stores and carmina had the nicest ones and prices as well lol.

Is there a store that does mto spectator tassel loafers and how often do you resole your shoes if you're rotating between 2-3 pairs a week?

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
Making the switch to re soleable shoes and looking at both local and overseas retailers, mostly in Indonesia is what I have seen in reddit that's moderately priced and still decent quality, Vietnam seems comparable in price locally.

Any advice on the type of leather used for shoes, Indonesian retailers give quite a few options from pull up, Ilcea and calf etc.
Tempted to try cordovan shell since it's supposedly robust, went to quite a few stores and carmina had the nicest ones and prices as well lol.

Is there a store that does mto spectator tassel loafers and how often do you resole your shoes if you're rotating between 2-3 pairs a week?

Not cheap to resole shoes in SG. Will cost close to $200 to do it, if u can still find. In fact, no one does that now unless the shoe is from them originally.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have sole protectors on my shoes and have yet to need a resole after 5 years of wear as per your description. Just replace the sole protectors and heels as they wear out every 1.5 years.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

KYLee

Reaction score
Looking at a decent pair of shoes but doesn't have a high budget. probably around $150. someone mentioned Earnest & collective and they look pretty good in picture. But are they comfortable?

learningdandy

Reaction score
Looking at a decent pair of shoes but doesn't have a high budget. probably around $150. someone mentioned Earnest & collective and they look pretty good in picture. But are they comfortable?

Had a double monks from when their time as archules shoe...it was quite comfortable and i didnt really take care of them but still wearable

KYLee

Reaction score
Had a double monks from when their time as archules shoe...it was quite comfortable and i didnt really take care of them but still wearable

How long did it last you? I plan to only get 1 pair and wear daily to replace my existing spoiling pair.

learningdandy

Reaction score
How long did it last you? I plan to only get 1 pair and wear daily to replace my existing spoiling pair.

I dont wear often so not a good judge but i have it for 4 years already...i think still can wear lah haha havent try. Anyway jusy wondering, my yanko monks the elastic strap unraveled :( anyone know if can change it without tearing the shoe apart?

prudent76

Reaction score
Chelsea Boots

Looking to buy 2 pairs of chelsea boots to rotate. 1 black and 1 tan. Considering Ed Et El but looking to see if there are other off the shelf options at $300. Considered Dr Martens but not sure how long those would last and can't resole either. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
one day i actually tried Duke & Dexter. Got those for more daily wear. Quite comfy their loafers.

twomantoes

Reaction score
Hi, is it worth it to spend 700+ on Church shoe? My rotation is currently 2 pairs of Loake, just wondering what's the difference between church and loake..

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, is it worth it to spend 700+ on Church shoe? My rotation is currently 2 pairs of Loake, just wondering what's the difference between church and loake..

Subjective whether the difference in quality will be proportionate to difference in price. As it is, UK GY welt shoes come with a premium relative to spanish and portual brands, and church commands a even higher than usual premium. If 700+ is for a pair in the city range and not even custom grade (which is my hunch), my humble opinion would be it is not worth it.

arcfire

Master Member
Reaction score

If you like chunky shoes then you'll probably like them. Have a look at the other makers available locally at that price point and see which lasts you prefer.

At 700+(or a bit more) there are tons of options available out there that I personally feel are much better looking and have better quality than Church.

thatshoeotaku

Reaction score

If you're into English shoes might be worth trying Cheaney, available at Mason and Smith. Or else like others have said you can get better shoes for your money.

If you like the brand then I suppose why not? Would go for the custom grade at least though

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you're into English shoes might be worth trying Cheaney, available at Mason and Smith. Or else like others have said you can get better shoes for your money.

If you like the brand then I suppose why not? Would go for the custom grade at least though

FWIW, I've had a couple pairs of Church custom grade and I will rank the leather quality a notch above C&J bench grade (I've got no experience with C&J hand grades) but below that of EG..

No expert at construction but IIRC they don't do hidden channels or beveled waists unless at the "top of the top" range.

Designs are subjective but I personally prefer C&J which are more contemporary..

I believe current rates for custom grades are starting $900.. a lot of $$....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.