Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

suitboy

Reaction score
Anyone have tried CNES mto shoes or able to advise on the brand? In terms of build quality, leather, price etc.

Afaik they have setup a physical presence in Singapore recently this year.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have tried CNES mto shoes or able to advise on the brand? In terms of build quality, leather, price etc.

Afaik they have setup a physical presence in Singapore recently this year.

U can ask Renaissance. U can find some of his posts over the last month or so here.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Picked up my shoes from them recently, probably should have gotten a laced shoe because loafers are highly dependent on proper sizing due to lack of laces.

I can say the perm staff probably rubs people the wrong way. I thought my first encounter was an outlier because I came on the edge of their closing time. I would say such a pity for a decent business to be fronted as such. He did give practical advice and honest recommendations so credit where it’s due. But the most confusing was when I went for fitting and did it with my insoles. He said best to put it in the comments so they know it’s meant to be with my insoles. Lo and behold when I got my shoes after 2 months he saw my insoles and went ‘don’t need them’. *cue surprised pikachu*

Unrelated but wow GYW shoes are really really stiff and hard to break in. Soldiering on for the next few days with thicker socks, thinner insoles and heel stickers during this break in period. Now probably can relate to the pain of the ladies high heels lol

Hang in there. Because these shoes do last if you rotate and take good care of 'em, u'll be rewarded in time to come when the uppers and the sole bed mould to your feet. Currently my longest pair is about 6 years old (not very long actually) and counting.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would not recommend toe taps in Singapore weather from any makers.

I have had a few pairs rusted and the screws stuck inside. Would just change the vibram if the front wears out.

I can’t speak of the quality of Ed et al MTOs since they are outsourced and made in Vietnam. I believe that Edwin is the one doing the repairs locally and I feel that he does a decent job for the price compared to other alternatives. I have known Edwin for a long time since he mended shoes under his bro in law business. He no longer fronts the shop in Telok Ayer.

My beef with them is the communication and the accusatory tone with my recent experience but mainly just the guy in charge at the shopfront.

They quoted me a price for repairs via email but then changed that when I went down and insisted this was not what they said. Luckily I held on the email and he had nothing to say.

I was told that it would take a week and asked if they would call me when the shoes were ready, they said no, I was to call them instead. Weird. I phoned a week later and was told I had to wait a while longer as parts were still unavailable and to wait for them to call instead. So I did. Went away for a trip for 2 weeks. Didn't receive a call back. Came home and called them and the same person on the line who denied the original quotations told me in quite harsh tone that they had already told me a week ago they would call. It was not a week ago but 2 weeks. I know this because I was out of town.

I don’t mind the wait or the slightly expensive pricing but the tone and accusations inferring I was a liar is not something any customers should be subjected to.

The temp staff was a lot more pleasant to deal with than the permanent staff but he is ultimately not the decision maker. Sadly, there are not many places for decent shoe repairs here. I think I might have to take my shoes overseas for repairs in the future. Local Service standards have a lot of room for improvements.
Mason and smith? Their service is excellent.

Picked up my shoes from them recently, probably should have gotten a laced shoe because loafers are highly dependent on proper sizing due to lack of laces.

I can say the perm staff probably rubs people the wrong way. I thought my first encounter was an outlier because I came on the edge of their closing time. I would say such a pity for a decent business to be fronted as such. He did give practical advice and honest recommendations so credit where it’s due. But the most confusing was when I went for fitting and did it with my insoles. He said best to put it in the comments so they know it’s meant to be with my insoles. Lo and behold when I got my shoes after 2 months he saw my insoles and went ‘don’t need them’. *cue surprised pikachu*

Unrelated but wow GYW shoes are really really stiff and hard to break in. Soldiering on for the next few days with thicker socks, thinner insoles and heel stickers during this break in period. Now probably can relate to the pain of the ladies high heels lol
Highly dependent on the maker as well IIRC. My shoes from the Loake 1880 were a dream to wear out of the box. EEA's uppers are still robust and stiff after 5 years of wear.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

spencert

Reaction score

It's all in the shoemaker and the last you choose. Yanko, TLB & Enzo Bonafe has no break in period for me despite my high instep. Nothing to do with whether it is cemented, GYW or handwelted construction. On the other hand, despite my high insteps, AMs needs a long break period and also patty shoe tree at heel area.

Last edited:

edwardhjt

Reaction score

I think he was talking about EEA not Mason.

Highly dependent on the maker as well IIRC. My shoes from the Loake 1880 were a dream to wear out of the box. EEA's uppers are still robust and stiff after 5 years of wear.

It's all in the shoemaker and the last you choose. Yanko, TLB & Enzo Bonafe has no break in period for me despite my high instep. Nothing to do with whether it is cemented, GYW or handwelted construction. On the other hand, despite my high insteps, AMs needs a long break period and also patty shoe tree at heel area.
Well, guess what the super thin insoles I put actually mattered, somehow that few mm causes the extra rubbing at the heel. Much better without it but there goes the comfort of a cushioned feet bed.

EEA does not have lasts to chose from.

Also, seems like Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur is sold out everywhere except Shoetree project. Shall see if it truly is what everyone's been hyping about.

Wirecutter here also has an old article that praised it. Sadly their alternative for the cream polish is discontinued. Tarrago is the alternative that I got, affordable and reputable.

Last edited:

spencert

Reaction score

Well, guess what the super thin insoles I put actually mattered, somehow that few mm causes the extra rubbing at the heel. Much better without it but there goes the comfort of a cushioned feet bed.

Also, seems like Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur is sold out everywhere except Shoetree project. Shall see if it truly is what everyone's been hyping about.

Wirecutter here also has an old article that praised it. Sadly their alternative for the cream polish is discontinued. Tarrago is the alternative that I got, affordable and reputable.
You should not need to put insoles unless your shoes is oversized and you are facing heel slip.

Careful about Renovateur, if your shoes is patina, avoid at all costs. It will remove the patina as well. Saphir cream polish with Saphir wax works best IMHO.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

After wearing gyw shoes for a few years I find that "comfort " soles are decidedly less comfortable. Cushioning feels unnatural when you have a shoe that is well moulded to your feet.

edwardhjt

Reaction score

You should not need to put insoles unless your shoes is oversized and you are facing heel slip.

Careful about Renovateur, if your shoes is patina, avoid at all costs. It will remove the patina as well. Saphir cream polish with Saphir wax works best IMHO.

Really? I thought that was Renomat that would remove patina. Not much on mine but I'll keep an eye out? Renovateur is the conditioner. I'm using cream polish too when it arrives as it's been said by itself it still lacks the moisturising ingredients of a full conditioner.

After wearing gyw shoes for a few years I find that "comfort " soles are decidedly less comfortable. Cushioning feels unnatural when you have a shoe that is well moulded to your feet.

Which brands offer that? I haven't seen any comfort sole offerings in the mid to high end offerings, I just assumed they wouldn't want to offer something that might look 'unpure'. There's definitely a market for it though, this brand Wolf and Shepherd went as far as to get a guy to run their shoes in a marathon at world record timing no less. Then again their USD$345 pricing puts them square in the mid-tier.

arcfire

Master Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought that was Renomat that would remove patina. Not much on mine but I'll keep an eye out? Renovateur is the conditioner. I'm using cream polish too when it arrives as it's been said by itself it still lacks the moisturising ingredients of a full conditioner.

Which brands offer that? I haven't seen any comfort sole offerings in the mid to high end offerings, I just assumed they wouldn't want to offer something that might look 'unpure'. There's definitely a market for it though, this brand Wolf and Shepherd went as far as to get a guy to run their shoes in a marathon at world record timing no less. Then again their USD$345 pricing puts them square in the mid-tier.

Renomat will definitely remove patina. Renovateur will also remove patina but much less unless you've applied a whole ton of it and rub vigorously. Even wax will remove a bit of patina if you try hard enough.

I have to agree that after wearing gyw shoes for some time, wearing cemented shoes with cushioning feels very different. Can't say if it's good or bad but certainly the feel and feedback of the ground to your sole is very different.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Renomat will definitely remove patina. Renovateur will also remove patina but much less unless you've applied a whole ton of it and rub vigorously. Even wax will remove a bit of patina if you try hard enough.

I have to agree that after wearing gyw shoes for some time, wearing cemented shoes with cushioning feels very different. Can't say if it's good or bad but certainly the feel and feedback of the ground to your sole is very different.

What shoe care products should be used to preserve the patina or museum effect of your shoes?

arcfire

Master Member
Reaction score
What shoe care products should be used to preserve the patina or museum effect of your shoes?

Quite honestly, I have not tried enough shoe care products to be able to say for certain.

Renovateur to me is perfectly fine to use on patina shoes. Just use sparingly and you should be fine. Apply using your fingers so that you don't use too much. A thin layer and lightly rubbing it in and brushing after dry is ok.

You also don't have to use Renovateur too often either unless you are removing wax buildup. Neutral creams and wax will often be sufficient.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I have not tried enough shoe care products to be able to say for certain.

Renovateur to me is perfectly fine to use on patina shoes. Just use sparingly and you should be fine. Apply using your fingers so that you don't use too much. A thin layer and lightly rubbing it in and brushing after dry is ok.

You also don't have to use Renovateur too often either unless you are removing wax buildup. Neutral creams and wax will often be sufficient.

Thanks. For my patina and museum shoes so far, I haven't gotten down to any polishing/cream due to concern it will have on such shoes. Just doing wiping and brushing with no products.

Neutral creams and wax tend to leave a whitish residue from my experience and I have stopped using those..

arcfire

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. For my patina and museum shoes so far, I haven't gotten down to any polishing/cream due to concern it will have on such shoes. Just doing wiping and brushing with no products.

Neutral creams and wax tend to leave a whitish residue from my experience and I have stopped using those..

Ah.... yes. They do have a tendency to leave residue if you are using on the areas that crease. I usually give these areas a quick brushing after wearing them and flexing the areas in the morning before i leave for work to minimize the residue.

You can also use wax/creams in a lighter shade if you are concerned about the residue. Different leather and shades will react differently to these so you should try a little on inconspicuous areas before applying to the whole shoe.

Dvoiddeckbench

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi like to check where can I get a nice Oxford for less than $200? Any lobang?

Sent from 我要擊敗蟲國人! using GAGT

Jxoppa

Reaction score
Bad experience from them. Their shoes are not comfortable at all.

Sent from 我要擊敗蟲國人! using GAGT

Care to explain? Thinking of getting a pair from them but the thing is i have been wearing GYW like loake and herring for years, may not be able to get used to cemented sole..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.