HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #1231

Please enlighten us. How much is too much renomat and too much force?

One tilt of the bottle is enough (around the cap size). There should be no pressure used at all, kind of like how you would shine your shoes, renomat can even be used as a general cleaner if you're adventurous enough.

Renomat is alcohol based I believe, and that's what's causing the stripping of patina. But if you apply a gentle coat, there should be no removal effects (from personal experience)
ShoeEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #1232

One tilt of the bottle is enough (around the cap size). There should be no pressure used at all, kind of like how you would shine your shoes, renomat can even be used as a general cleaner if you're adventurous enough.

Renomat is alcohol based I believe, and that's what's causing the stripping of patina. But if you apply a gentle coat, there should be no removal effects (from personal experience)
Thanks, I almost ruined my Cornu Blu because I try using it to strip of hard wax on the toe caps. Had to send in for burnishing to save it. Won't risk it again though. Safer to use leather cleaners or Turpentine.
spencert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #1233

Thanks, I almost ruined my Cornu Blu because I try using it to strip of hard wax on the toe caps. Had to send in for burnishing to save it. Won't risk it again though. Safer to use leather cleaners or Turpentine.
Yup, renomat in general is very aggressive, and especially if its your first time using it, you need to be careful. Some previous comments have shared to try on inconspicuous spots first and yes, do try it at somewhere not noticeable (I usually do it on the shoe tongue for my oxfords).

Like you mentioned, yes safer removal will be to use leather cleaners or turpentine products.

Little trick for a safe removal of wax through my own experiments, use a boar hair brush on the shine first, then use neutral wax and coat the parts with wax (don't buff!!), and let the old shine dissolve for about 10-15 minutes, then using a cloth and some light pressure to "scrape" it off. (a little bit of fingernail through the cloth helps for very stubborn wax).

Same thing for renomat, I used to just layer my shines with a lot of renomat and used quite a bit of pressure to remove the shine (a lot of elbow grease and very tiring). But after reading an insta post (forgot the handle), I experimented with brushing the shine (boar hair), layering with one-two coats of renomat, and letting the renomat dissolve the wax for about 10 minutes, before "scrape-ing" away with a cloth. Less elbow grease and I believe safer as well due to less renomat being used.

Ultimately, shoe care is a lot on experimenting and everyone will tell you different things. A shoe shine lesson/workshop will be a good investment (I started experimenting after a workshop with Straits Establishment a couple of months back).

I believe Mason & Smith does shoe shining workshops as well, so do keep a look out for those if you're willing to spend a bit to learn (personally learned a lot for myself)

Last edited by ShoeEnthusiast; 07-09-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #1234

Yup, renomat in general is very aggressive, and especially if its your first time using it, you need to be careful. Some previous comments have shared to try on inconspicuous spots first and yes, do try it at somewhere not noticeable (I usually do it on the shoe tongue for my oxfords).

Like you mentioned, yes safer removal will be to use leather cleaners or turpentine products.

Little trick for a safe removal of wax through my own experiments, use a boar hair brush on the shine first, then use neutral wax and coat the parts with wax (don't buff!!), and let the old shine dissolve for about 10-15 minutes, then using a cloth and some light pressure to "scrape" it off. (a little bit of fingernail through the cloth helps for very stubborn wax).

Same thing for renomat, I used to just layer my shines with a lot of renomat and used quite a bit of pressure to remove the shine (a lot of elbow grease and very tiring). But after reading an insta post (forgot the handle), I experimented with brushing the shine (boar hair), layering with one-two coats of renomat, and letting the renomat dissolve the wax for about 10 minutes, before "scrape-ing" away with a cloth. Less elbow grease and I believe safer as well due to less renomat being used.

Ultimately, shoe care is a lot on experimenting and everyone will tell you different things. A shoe shine lesson/workshop will be a good investment (I started experimenting after a workshop with Straits Establishment a couple of months back).

I believe Mason & Smith does shoe shining workshops as well, so do keep a look out for those if you're willing to spend a bit to learn (personally learned a lot for myself)
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a boar bristle brush lying around. Will try with turpentine. Removing hard wax layer by layer is really tiring.
spencert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #1235

Hey guys, any opinions on Aldo, Pedro or Black Hammar shoes?
redefine_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #1236
Arch-Supremacy Member

El Cortes.

Share lobang please
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #1237
wiz

Thanks too bad not my size...

El Cortes.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #1238
High Supremacy Member

anybody can comment on benjamin barker shoes?

are they goodyear welted? can they be resoled?

are they made of genuine leather?
Shalomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #1239

Hey guys, any opinions on Aldo, Pedro or Black Hammar shoes?

Aldo and pedro are fashion brands, using cementing for the shoes and overpricing their products. If you really want, Aldo usually sells their older models at huge discounts at departmental stores like Taka/Tangs. Never tried personally, but my friends say they fall apart pretty quick with heavy abuse (3-6 months) and aren't comfortable.

Haven't heard of black hammer shoes before so unable to comment

If you're looking for cemented shoes, I would say the better looking ones are either E&C or Ardenteal. But I personally would save up a little bit more to a budget of $200-$300 and get some stitched shoes
Old 08-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #1240

anybody can comment on benjamin barker shoes?

are they goodyear welted? can they be resoled?

are they made of genuine leather?
At their price point, I doubt it is goodyear welted. But no experience with them so maybe someone else can provide better insights
Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #1241

Aldo and pedro are fashion brands, using cementing for the shoes and overpricing their products. If you really want, Aldo usually sells their older models at huge discounts at departmental stores like Taka/Tangs. Never tried personally, but my friends say they fall apart pretty quick with heavy abuse (3-6 months) and aren't comfortable.

Haven't heard of black hammer shoes before so unable to comment

If you're looking for cemented shoes, I would say the better looking ones are either E&C or Ardenteal. But I personally would save up a little bit more to a budget of $200-$300 and get some stitched shoes

Thank you. What would you recommend for those genuine leather shoes?
redefine_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #1242

I think there's a misconception here, genuine leather is a very wrongly coined term and, as genuine means "real" and gives the perception that genuine leather is of better grade.

You would want to look for full grain leather when it comes to shoes --> which is of better quality and can take polish much better.

Some brands that I know of within the 200-300 range will be CNES Shoemaker, Ed Et Al, Fugashin. But for Fugashin, you'll have to buy them online I believe, no SG retailer, so only purchase if you're sure of your shoe size. I think the staff at CNES Shoemaker are related to Straits Establishment as I've seen the same face at the old Suntec store and their new Beach road store and they are really nice and will walk you through should you have any doubts. As for Ed Et Al, service can be much better since the last time I've been there, its been quite a long time, so can't really comment much also.

Other brands if you don't mind breaking the 300 range (mainly goodyear welted) will be CNES Shoemaker, Ed Et Al (they appear in both because they offer both blake stitched shoes and goodyear), Jalan Sriwijaya, Carlos Santos, Jonathan Abel, Berwick, Magnanni

And if you feel a little richer (especially if you're eligible for the extra $300 GST Voucher at the end of the year, bringing the budget to around $500 to $600), you can look at many other brands (probably gonna cost you more, but its worth a shot): Carmina, Antonio Meccariello, Septieme Largeur

There's ton to explore out there, I suggest going down to the shops to try them before making a purchase. But do note that although most people would preach about stitched shoes (blake or goodyear), cemented shoes have their plus points too, with the shoes being more flexible and comfortable (due to the construction), whereas blake or goodyear shoes tend to feel abit stiffer, and comfort only comes in after the breaking in.

Hope this helps and have fun exploring!

*Little tip: If you're confident in your restoration skills, you can try carousell for 2nd hand shoes, most of them are just shoes that are sold cheaply due to lack of space or a bad fit. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. No luck with this, but my friend managed to get a pair of Alden for like $400 (retail price for Alden is around $900 and above). Or, just send it to a shoe shop like Straits Establishment/Mason & Smith for shoe restoration.

Last edited by ShoeEnthusiast; 09-09-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #1243
Master Member

Entry level GYW calf leather shoes, with a choice of leather or rubber sole:

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake...rds/black-calf

Keep a lookout for regular 20% sale, and u will be able to get them <$300.
jonleelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #1244
Master Member

Entry level GYW calf leather shoes, with a choice of leather or rubber sole:

Keep a lookout for regular 20% sale, and u will be able to get them <$300.
They don't ship Loakes to Singapore anymore, so you have to use a proxy.
urbanturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #1245

Where do you guys get your shoe trees?
yang_nastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.