HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #1276

Conditioning is not going to be a magical cure here. Likelihood is that your shoes are ill fitting if you find them tight.

You can either try to wear them more often and let it stretch out naturally to conform to your feet and hope that it will fit once it's seasoned or bring it to a cobbler to have it stretched out. Either way, it may not work out as you'd imagined it to be.
Get a pair of shoe trees to keep the shape while you're not wearing them.

If you can't stand the pain, be prepared to dump the shoes and get a better fitting pair instead.
Agreed on this point too, I believe theRenaissance wrote another reply, which mentioned on Shoe lasts and how they fit differently on different feet profiles. This plays a huge role in ensuring comfort on shoes
ShoeEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #1277

iíve worn them about a week now, and i feel the shoe is stretching out. it does not really hurt now, hence i think it will be much better once i condition them as well.

someone recommended dubbin as well. is this ok?

the shoe is in really good condition despite me not wearing it for almost 2 years. and yes, iíll be getting shoe trees at the same time as the conditioners and creams. i saw most of the shoe shops have them around $35..
lilrex21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #1278
Master Member

iíve worn them about a week now, and i feel the shoe is stretching out. it does not really hurt now, hence i think it will be much better once i condition them as well.

the shoe is in really good condition despite me not wearing it for almost 2 years. and yes, iíll be getting shoe trees at the same time as the conditioners and creams. i saw most of the shoe shops have them around $35..
Dubbin is usually used for waterproofing waxy leather or walking/hiking boots etc. I wouldn't use it on dress shoes. Also, dubbin tends to darken the shoe by no small varying amount.

Just get what was recommended and you'll be fine.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #1279

I prefer not using dubbin wherever possible on dress shoes because they attract a lot of dirt, and make the shoes difficult to maintain and shine properly.

As mentioned by other posters, they are for work boots, hiking boots or country shoes where shine and looks is secondary.

i’ve worn them about a week now, and i feel the shoe is stretching out. it does not really hurt now, hence i think it will be much better once i condition them as well.

the shoe is in really good condition despite me not wearing it for almost 2 years. and yes, i’ll be getting shoe trees at the same time as the conditioners and creams. i saw most of the shoe shops have them around $35..
striker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #1280

very new to this, have a few questions:

iím just looking for very basic shoe care, as my shoes will crease and crack after about a year? i donít spend much on shoes. <200 per pair, hence not really looking into expensive solutions.

is it ok to just use the saphir cream pommadier? or do i require the renovator as well? iím not particular about having my shoes shine - hence i was thinking i donít need the wax polish? iím open to it if it helps to protect the shoes though.

thanks!
The essential question one should always ask in shoe care is - what type of leather is on my shoes? When you answer that, you can easily get the right product suitable for that particular type of leather.

If your shoes partially pigmented or of corrected finishes, there is no need for Pommadier 1925 or Renovateur. A water based formulation will be better suited. Your first product will definitely be a creme polish of some sorts.

yep i have mainly a range of shoes from department stores.

i do have one pair that was custom made by jesse and sons in bangkok. this is the pair i would like to protect.

at the same time iím also looking to buy another pair or two so that i can rotate my shoes. i had quite a few but they all cracked recently as i did not wear them for half a year.. what is a good starting point for shoes? < 300 maybe?

If you look properly, you can easily get a pair of full grain calf leather shoes with stitched construction for less than S$300.

As for your stiff shoes, its hard to tell, but possibly its a stiffer leather type and will require a bit of more wears to fully break in. If still hurts, what you can try to do is rub a candle inside and shove a shoe tree/newspaper inside to make the inner lining slightly softer. Slightly old method that I see my grandfather use on his shoes, seems to work for him, so can give it a try. Never tried for myself personally.
Alternatively, use a lotion with zero wax content to apply on the lining and stretch it, it will help relief the tension.

All you need is a light conditioner. There is no need for Dubbin, Grease or 100% pure mink oil on calf uppers.
theRenaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #1281

thank you all, i salute your knowledge!

therefore my routine shld be like this:
brush off shoe with the horsehair brush
use cotton rag to apply on the creme universelle. leave on for 1-2 mins and buff off the rest.
another rag to apply creme surfine. i assume this would be till the shoe appears polished? do i also get the neutral colour or buy according to the shoe colour? is there also a need to alternate with a wax polish?

creme universelle would be every 3 to 6 months, while the creme surfine is once a month. correct? these are my work shoes so i will wear them quite often.
lilrex21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #1282

thank you all, i salute your knowledge!

therefore my routine shld be like this:
brush off shoe with the horsehair brush
use cotton rag to apply on the creme universelle. leave on for 1-2 mins and buff off the rest.
another rag to apply creme surfine. i assume this would be till the shoe appears polished? do i also get the neutral colour or buy according to the shoe colour? is there also a need to alternate with a wax polish?

creme universelle would be every 3 to 6 months, while the creme surfine is once a month. correct? these are my work shoes so i will wear them quite often.
When you buffed after applying the Creme Surfine, there will already be a mild, even shine coming out due to friction caused by buffing (with a boar hair brush) and the high amount of beeswax present in the formulation.

Whether to get Neutral or a colour creme depends very much on your preferences and budget. If you are starting out, I suggest getting neutral to have a go. Once you are assured of the results, you can always invest in specific colours for your shoes.

You will only apply wax polish once you are done with creme polish application. You should never alternate between creme and wax polish.

Applying Creme Surfine or any creme polish once a month is a good frequency. You can apply Creme Universelle once every 1-2 months. That will provide a good basis for adequate nourishment.

ē*ē*ē*ē*ē*

Additional pointers for reference after applying any Creme/Lotion:

1) Buff off with a boar bristle brush instead of horsehair brush. There are practical reasons why boar bristles are better for polishing and you will find it a much pleasant experience.

2) After buffing off the entire upper, proceed to damp your cloth lightly with water and buff off to ensure a clean, smooth upper.

3) If after doing steps 1 & 2, you still find that the upper are still matte looking or sticky. Something is off, recheck and if need be, buff off again to remove all excess creams.

4) Most online tutorials only tell you to use a horsehair brush to brush off and omit step 2. These are crucial steps in ensuring the pores are open and ready to receive nourishment, especially if you are using any leather balm or lotion.

Have fun guys.
merlintehleh and [P]rodigy like this.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #1283

When you buffed after applying the Creme Surfine, there will already be a mild, even shine coming out due to friction caused by buffing (with a boar hair brush) and the high amount of beeswax present in the formulation.

Whether to get Neutral or a colour creme depends very much on your preferences and budget. If you are starting out, I suggest getting neutral to have a go. Once you are assured of the results, you can always invest in specific colours for your shoes.

You will only apply wax polish once you are done with creme polish application. You should never alternate between creme and wax polish.

Applying Creme Surfine or any creme polish once a month is a good frequency. You can apply Creme Universelle once every 1-2 months. That will provide a good basis for adequate nourishment.

ē*ē*ē*ē*ē*

Additional pointers for reference after applying any Creme/Lotion:

1) Buff off with a boar bristle brush instead of horsehair brush. There are practical reasons why boar bristles are better for polishing and you will find it a much pleasant experience.

2) After buffing off the entire upper, proceed to damp your cloth lightly with water and buff off to ensure a clean, smooth upper.

3) If after doing steps 1 & 2, you still find that the upper are still matte looking or sticky. Something is off, recheck and if need be, buff off again to remove all excess creams.

4) Most online tutorials only tell you to use a horsehair brush to brush off and omit step 2. These are crucial steps in ensuring the pores are open and ready to receive nourishment, especially if you are using any leather balm or lotion.

Have fun guys.
One mistake I made at the start is applying too much creme and wax at the start. Applying less is easier to buff at the start.
merlintehleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #1284

One mistake I made at the start is applying too much creme and wax at the start. Applying less is easier to buff at the start.
For creme & lotion, you have to be careful in balancing the right amount to avoid over application. But brushing off with a polishing brush and dry buffing with a cloth will do the job 99% of the time.

For wax polishing, actually the thicker and better packed the base layers are, the faster it is to achieve a decent shine. And this is what separates the professionals from amateurs. After application, you can immediately polish with a cloth. There is no need to brush off with a brush after wax application.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #1285

I just did my Vibram half sole with Mr Yamaguchi Taro at Yishun bus interchange for $30.

https://thesmartlocal.com/read/old-school-cobblers/
Now that the new yishun bus interchange is in operation, anyone knows where is Mr Yamaguchi operating?
chup_ji_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #1286

With a budget below $300 and in need of a pair of shoes in 3 weeks. Where can get a decent pair of Oxford shoes?
adriancjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #1287

Seamless Bespoke is having a sample sale this Saturday. You should be able to find something below $300.

With a budget below $300 and in need of a pair of shoes in 3 weeks. Where can get a decent pair of Oxford shoes?
Landreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #1288
Supremacy Member

Seamless Bespoke is having a sample sale this Saturday. You should be able to find something below $300.
https://www.ctshirts.com/intl/mens-shoes/business/?prefn1=season&prefn2=status&currentPageNum=1&prefv1=AW19&prefv2=new|continuity|terminal&sz=31&start=0

Might be worth considering if you really want Goodyear Welted shoes.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

Last edited by darthsid11111; 10-10-2019 at 11:29 PM..
darthsid11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #1289

Is this shoes quality decent? Just that itís not GYW. As I would need a pair in less than 3 weeks and MTO at CustomMade and EEA need more than 6 weeks.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #1290

Is this shoes quality decent? Just that itís not GYW. As I would need a pair in less than 3 weeks and MTO at CustomMade and EEA need more than 6 weeks.
https://earnestcollective.com/collections/oxfords-1/products/carnegie-black-ii
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.