Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #1426

Vass Budapest FTW
Chewbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #1427

Looks great!

SPI around 6 - 8 I think. I would prefer higher SPI shoes though.
Nice one! Is it tough leather? Scared might bruise me.
shawnbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #1428

I like the Rozsnyai Budapester model more; it looks more modern IMO. But the budapester last for both brands are really too chunky. That is why I MTO my shoes to get the budapester design on their 323 last instead.

IMHO, from owning both shoes I do feel the Rozsnyai ones slightly edge out the Vass shoes in terms of design and craftsmanship. And it is slightly cheaper too.

In terms of SPI both are the same at around 6. The Rozsnyai one used a thicker thread with no welt fudging while the Vass one used a thinner thread with welt fudging.

I ordered a new pair of Rozsnyai with their dense welt (guess it's around 10-12SPI and with welt fudging) and will post pictures here once I get it.

Here's a comparison between Vass K last and Rozsnyai 323 last - both looking very similar to me in terms of looks and fit.

tyh1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #1429

Nice one! Is it tough leather? Scared might bruise me.
The leather they used is really good, very soft and more subtle.

Most of the time this toughness you feel is more from the fit and construction of the shoe - goodyear welted shoes feel more "stiff" and take a longer time to break in. However, I feel GYW shoes become very comfortable once it's broken-in.

The benefit of buying shoes with good leather is that they will literally last you a lifetime if you take care of it. Here's how my Edward Greens look after wearing it (at least once every 2 weeks) for 7 years now.
Chewbeans likes this.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #1430
Master Member

Where do you all buy these shoes? Online or retail shop in Singapore? I am looking to try Edward Green and other brands but could not find it in retail.

Posted from PCWX using because PCWX need 10 characters in order to post.
callmeaston likes this.
Dvoiddeckbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #1431
High Supremacy Member

Quite true about the GYW stiff feel... sometime I feel a $100 obermain is more comfortable than all the GYW shoes I have, may be the broke in one will be good.
TUV2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #1432

Where do you all buy these shoes? Online or retail shop in Singapore? I am looking to try Edward Green and other brands but could not find it in retail.

Better to check it by person. See your size and style. Go to Carmina at Capitol City Hall area.
ccmebccyou likes this.
callmeaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #1433

Better to check it by person. See your size and style. Go to Carmina at Capitol City Hall area.
Oh I got my wedding shoes at Carmina - good quality,
ccmebccyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #1434

I got my first 2 pairs of EGs from their store in Jermyn St. in 82 last and 888 last. After which subsequent pairs I ordered directly online in the exact same last and size combinations.

Fit is really complicated with these brands:

EG especially offers many different lasts, all of which have different fit (the difference is significant some times!). The 202/606 lasts are designed for wider feet while the 82/915 and 888 last are designed for normal feet.

Another important point to consider when buying english shoes is that they are designed for ang moh feet which are generally slimmer than asian feet. So your usual width sizing might not work. My feet are very similar (luckily) - not wide and my arch is quite high for asian feet.

Yet another point to take note is that EG lasts width are different from what many are used to. The "E" width is their normal width.

Sizing is also complicated with EG shoes. For example a UK9.5 (my size) is actually US10. Size is very personal and some people like to wear dress shoes that fit lose in the toes but snug width wise.

Moral of the story is you won't know until you try one. Buying online is always at your own risk. English shoes are not for everyone.

So far I'm not sure if there's any shop left in Singapore carrying a wide enought collection (if any) of EG shoes for you to try them out. There's just no market for shoes that cost more than an iPhone.

You can try this website to see if they have any for you to try.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #1435

If you are looking to buy EG shoes and try to based your sizing off Carmina, I would heavily advise against it.

As I have mentioned before, these shoe brands offer so many different lasts - all of which come in a great variation in size.

Just to put into perspective. My only pair of carmina which I have no idea which last it is on (first pair of working shoes I ever owned), is a size 9UK and my EGs are UK9.5

These shoes are not cheap and I would always suggest trying them on physically before making a decision.

That said if you are getting from EG webstore directly (which I would advise for your first pair), they offer an amazing return policy for fit related issues. Just be very sure to read their return policy carefully when trying on the shoes.

https://www.edwardgreen.com/customer...and-refunds-us
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #1436

This is also why I previously suggested the Hungarian brand Rozsnyai.

They have a great customer service where you can send them measurements of your feet and have them recommend a last and size for you. Based on my experience so far, they have been really accurate with this.

Build quality is also excellent and is up there with shoes that cost 2-3x more.

Only downside is that since each pair of shoes are on a MTO basis (even the ones on their webstore), you got to wait 1-2 months to receive them. But the beauty of this is that you can have them make you any shoes you can think of at no additional cost.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #1437

or pay slightly more, ZEB shoes made to measure. Might take more than one pair to get the fit perfect since you might not measure correctly or you prefer looser fit / snug fit etc.
Darknight55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #1438

Patina Leather Shoes

What do you guys think of patina leather shoe like septieme largeur or Berluti?

Any good options other than these 2 brands?
SaltySmoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #1439
High Supremacy Member

What do you guys think of patina leather shoe like septieme largeur or Berluti?

Any good options other than these 2 brands?
What do you think of this patina of mine... 咸菜青 color...

Sent from 版權@TUV2008 翻印必究 Lim Kopi using GAGT
TUV2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #1440

Wow. The olive green color is really unique!

I wouldnt personally wear a green shoe but it looks really exquisite!

Where did you get it from? How do you pair your green patina wholecut?
SaltySmoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.