HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #1471

Entry level leather shoes tend to take a longer period to break in.

For example, my Crockett & Jones might take 5 wearings to feel like a second skin. But I have a pair of Ed Et Al loafers that literally took one year to feel comfortable.

So it really depends on the leather quality.
Ok thanks. Guess I have to soldier on for now.
jonchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #1472
Supremacy Member

Ok thanks. Guess I have to soldier on for now.
If u didnt get a good fitting pair, which is a function of your feet shape/type vs the shoe last, there is no breaking in to speak of. Hope yours is not a fit issue to begin with..
All in a Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #1473

If u didnt get a good fitting pair, which is a function of your feet shape/type vs the shoe last, there is no breaking in to speak of. Hope yours is not a fit issue to begin with..
Make sense. Hope itís not because of that.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #1474
Master Member

Make sense. Hope itís not because of that.
It can also be that the shape of the last is not suitable for your feet. Like itís too narrow somewhere.
wahjohreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #1475

It can also be that the shape of the last is not suitable for your feet. Like itís too narrow somewhere.
Haha all pointing to the fact I must get new ones. Iím already taking to someone to share the 1 for 2 for Jonathan Abel.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #1476

morning all, noob here.

Bought 2 pairs of shoes from Bern at Suntec and just tried them both and they cut into my ankle badly. Prior to this, I was wearing Geox and it requires no breaking in at all with no issues even when out of the box.

Can I know if it will be better after a few times after breaking in? Or should I get something new like from CNES? Will it be better?

Thanks.
Which part of your ankle is hurting?

Just to share some stuff I learn from the guys over at George Cleverley regarding ankle pain when I was at their shop. Hopefully this can help some of you when buying shoes!

Ankle pain at the heel due to heel slip. Possible causes:
- Shoe isn't in the right size. (I know too big will cause this but I can't rmb if too small will too).
- If you are looking at loafers, how well the back of your shoes cup your heel. Too big and your shoes will simply slip as there isn't as much material holding your foot in.
- Your shoe hasn't been broken in at the sole. Goodyear welted (and possibly blake-stitched shoes with thicker soles) shoes feel stiffer at the start due to it's construction. Once your shoes are broken in most of the heel slip will go away (if it was not a sizing issue to begin with).
- Like others have pointed out poor quality leather might be really stiff and hard to break in. Very similar to the above symptom - the shoes do not bend readily when you walk thus causing heel slip.
- The size of the opening of your shoes. See the picture below - the shoe on the left has a much bigger opening than the one on the right. Depending on your feet structure, this might be an issue and major contributing factor to heel slip (there's less material holding your foot in). Your shoes can fit just nice when you're sitting down and trying the shoes, but as soon as you start walking you'll realize this issue straight away!

Some shoes have a cup like structure at the heel to provide some sort of heel support (possibly minimize heel slip? can't rmb if they mentioned this). See the below picture - the shoe at the front has a significant cup like structure wheras the one at the back has a straight design. If your heel and back of your feet is rather straight, this will obviously eat into your heel.

Heel height (and possibly the heel counter height too). Depending on your foot, the shoes might be cut too high at the heel region. See the attached picture. Similar to the above issue, this will eat into your heel.

Lastly the sides of your shoes can but cut too high. See the below picture - the shoe on the right is cut higher than the one on the left. This can be an issue if your ankle bone is rubbing against it.

Of course there can be more causes, but these are the one I picked up. Hope this can be helpful!

Lastly as asians we have very flat foot which can cause a huge number of fit issues, and ankle pain can be just one symptom of it. Maybe some shoe expert can elaborate on this. Luckily I've been blessed with a pair of feet that are very standard and easy to fit.
tyh1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #1477

Which part of your ankle is hurting?

Just to share some stuff I learn from the guys over at George Cleverley regarding ankle pain when I was at their shop. Hopefully this can help some of you when buying shoes!

Ankle pain at the heel due to heel slip. Possible causes:
- Shoe isn't in the right size. (I know too big will cause this but I can't rmb if too small will too).
- If you are looking at loafers, how well the back of your shoes cup your heel. Too big and your shoes will simply slip as there isn't as much material holding your foot in.
- Your shoe hasn't been broken in at the sole. Goodyear welted (and possibly blake-stitched shoes with thicker soles) shoes feel stiffer at the start due to it's construction. Once your shoes are broken in most of the heel slip will go away (if it was not a sizing issue to begin with).
- Like others have pointed out poor quality leather might be really stiff and hard to break in. Very similar to the above symptom - the shoes do not bend readily when you walk thus causing heel slip.
- The size of the opening of your shoes. See the picture below - the shoe on the left has a much bigger opening than the one on the right. Depending on your feet structure, this might be an issue and major contributing factor to heel slip (there's less material holding your foot in). Your shoes can fit just nice when you're sitting down and trying the shoes, but as soon as you start walking you'll realize this issue straight away!

Some shoes have a cup like structure at the heel to provide some sort of heel support (possibly minimize heel slip? can't rmb if they mentioned this). See the below picture - the shoe at the front has a significant cup like structure wheras the one at the back has a straight design. If your heel and back of your feet is rather straight, this will obviously eat into your heel.

Heel height (and possibly the heel counter height too). Depending on your foot, the shoes might be cut too high at the heel region. See the attached picture. Similar to the above issue, this will eat into your heel.

Lastly the sides of your shoes can but cut too high. See the below picture - the shoe on the right is cut higher than the one on the left. This can be an issue if your ankle bone is rubbing against it.

Of course there can be more causes, but these are the one I picked up. Hope this can be helpful!

Lastly as asians we have very flat foot which can cause a huge number of fit issues, and ankle pain can be just one symptom of it. Maybe some shoe expert can elaborate on this. Luckily I've been blessed with a pair of feet that are very standard and easy to fit.

Wow 5 stars answer. Thanks for the effort to type out everything and explain to me! Much appreciated on your reply. I guess I will go relook at another pair. It might be too tight for me. It cut at the side of the ankle causing it to bleed actually.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #1478

You can try get those heel cushions to elevate the heel area a little first.

But don't get too thick as it will make the instep (the shoe lace area) smaller which will create other fit issues.
rowrowroyce likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #1479

Hello. Can anyone share which shoe brand will deliver this April? Like boots? Need for work shoe delivery job.
rowrowroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #1480
Master Member

Just like to share my experience purchasing from Jonathan Abel.

Great response by the team at Jonathan Abel via Whatsapp.

Purchased 2 pairs of Noah during the "buy 1 get 1 free" promotion. 2 pairs came within 2 days but I bought them a size bigger. Mailed out the shoes and received it 2 days after with my true size.

Was disappointed when I take the shoes out from the bag though. The left side looks outstanding but the right side looks like someone has worn it before. I could see crisp already formed.

I do not want to go through the hassel by sending back the shoes and just make do with it. The second pair will come after 12 weeks as they do not have the stock I want for my size at the moment.

Meanwhile I could just pray that the second pair will TRULY be a pair that has never been worn before.

Could not expect too much for 2 pairs of shoes for $350.

Posted from PCWX using because PCWX need 10 characters in order to post.
Dvoiddeckbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #1481

Just like to share my experience purchasing from Jonathan Abel.

Great response by the team at Jonathan Abel via Whatsapp.

Purchased 2 pairs of Noah during the "buy 1 get 1 free" promotion. 2 pairs came within 2 days but I bought them a size bigger. Mailed out the shoes and received it 2 days after with my true size.

Was disappointed when I take the shoes out from the bag though. The left side looks outstanding but the right side looks like someone has worn it before. I could see crisp already formed.

I do not want to go through the hassel by sending back the shoes and just make do with it. The second pair will come after 12 weeks as they do not have the stock I want for my size at the moment.

Meanwhile I could just pray that the second pair will TRULY be a pair that has never been worn before.

Could not expect too much for 2 pairs of shoes for $350.

That's a nice pair of shoes you picked up. I've been looking to get a long wing blucher in this colour for awhile too.

I think there's expectations that must be set when buying shoes. The creasing you see is perfectly normal, even shoes (from all the english shoe makers) that cost upwards of 2K may come with slight creases from others possibly trying it on.

When you tried on your shoes and found that they were too big, they became worn too right? And when you send these shoes back, you can't expect the company to sell them as preowned shoes.

That said, the leather on these shoes looks good and you should not be bothered by this type of creasing - after the first few step you take in these, they will come out either way.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #1482
Master Member

That's a nice pair of shoes you picked up. I've been looking to get a long wing blucher in this colour for awhile too.

I think there's expectations that must be set when buying shoes. The creasing you see is perfectly normal, even shoes (from all the english shoe makers) that cost upwards of 2K may come with slight creases from others possibly trying it on.

When you tried on your shoes and found that they were too big, they became worn too right? And when you send these shoes back, you can't expect the company to sell them as preowned shoes.

That said, the leather on these shoes looks good and you should not be bothered by this type of creasing - after the first few step you take in these, they will come out either way.
Yes definitely. They are still having 1 for 1 until April 9. Anyone can introduce me where to purchase Saphir. I like to wax the shoes first before wearing.

Dvoiddeckbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #1483

Yes definitely. They are still having 1 for 1 until April 9. Anyone can introduce me where to purchase Saphir. I like to wax the shoes first before wearing.

I buy my polish supplies from the straits establishment.

https://www.lazada.sg/shop/straitsestablishment/

The guys over there are really helpful and will reply very quickly if you contact them during office hours.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #1484

original pic from ZEB
https://www.instagram.com/p/Byf4kyspYM_/

can't go out, so polishing time
Darknight55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #1485

Shared with someone here to buy the Jonathan Abel shoes. Quite happy with it.

Last edited by jonchar; 10-04-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.