HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Singapore Arcade Scene is dead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
High Supremacy Member

not worth it to spend money in arcade anymore. console are cheap as compared to arcade.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wa list some lei... big ones..maybe bring wife go tmr.
Umm, I did say overseas. That's why I'm hoping SG arcade adopt this kind of business model
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

@ZrE0_Cha0s: yes, I was in the top floor arcade. Remember 5 years ago it was pretty huge. Then they moved to the other side of the floor but half of it's former size. In 2016 they had at least 2 Tekken machines. Now it's only kids games with a few Wangan machines.

@Trans-Am: actually they do. Time Crisis 5 was released 2015. In 2017 the lightgun shooter "The Walking Dead" was released and it's not that bad, you might want to give it a try.

@kengarou: jup, seems so. From a fighting game perspective this arcade has most of the pros there, at least for SF4 and other 2D beat-em ups.

I found some retro-machines popping up in Singapore in a Clarke Quay bar called Level Up. They have a handful of arcade games and the pub is quite nice. Another spot is Headquarters Club at Boat Quay, they indeed have a single arcade machine standing beside one of the dancefloors. Their music is good old-school Techno and House and so are the games. You can choose between Pacman, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and alike. Pretty funny to play a video game right beside a dance floor.

I read somewhere there is going to be a House of the Dead 5. It will be released in Tokyo first, then worldwide.

Dark Escape 4D was an exceptional arcade shooter that got me dumping credits to keep playing. Some experience i thought will never happen again.

Seems like it is only the shooter or fighting games that are still garnering any traction in arcades these days.

The shooter games in particular, the game makers ought to port over all these shooter games to console to maximise their ROI. Having these games solely to arcades really limit the game's outreach.

Anyway the Singapore arcade is dead. I no longer hear of any fighting game tournaments held locally. Gone are the days when you can expect something like a KOF tournament every year.
chenxiaop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #19

not worth it to spend money in arcade anymore. console are cheap as compared to arcade.
Ya, alot of times when i am tempted to try the games at the local arcade, only to be put off by the price.

A lot of games are $2 per credits which is horrendously expensive. Gone are the days when its only 50 cents per token.

Its more worth it to be just buying a console game and can have unlimited plays at the comfort of your own home.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #20

i still went to nex to challenge people in kof once in a while. every friday and saturday night plentiful of challengers although it is just one machine only. other days mostly, i play kof online in this emulator called fightcade. there are challengers everyday online day and night.
kengarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #21

i still went to nex to challenge people in kof once in a while. every friday and saturday night plentiful of challengers although it is just one machine only. other days mostly, i play kof online in this emulator called fightcade. there are challengers everyday online day and night.
I still remember the days when I was kicking peoples butt on Marvel vs Capcom.

The adrenaline rush whenever some new challenger inserts a token, the dread & nervousness when you recognize the challenger is an expert. But the excitement in winning matches by slight margins, the exhilaration of beating every opponent you have and while a whole crowd has gathered to watch you play yet no one having the balls to challenge you, the feeling is absolutely estatic.

It is just not the same anymore when you play multiplayer these days especially you not knowing who you are pitted against in your matches. I no longer feel a sense of accomplishment even if I beat the other guy.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #22

The adrenaline rush whenever some new challenger inserts a token, the dread & nervousness when you recognize the challenger is an expert. But the excitement in winning matches by slight margins, the exhilaration of beating every opponent you have and while a whole crowd has gathered to watch you play yet no one having the balls to challenge you, the feeling is absolutely estatic.
Exactly this.

Sure, I purchased Tekken7 on PC too. Online play is a great thing, you find easily challengers all day and practice for free. But nothing beats a crowded Friday evening in an arcade with alike people VS playing and learning from each other.

Gone are those days...
R9-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #23

can try go the arcade, cow play cow moo at suntec
always see families with kids there

Sent from Green Hill Zone using GAGT
lemonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is there still a demand. As in enough to sustain ops, pay the rent etc.
zuoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #25

anyone still got to the arcade often here ?
Catneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #26

Which arcade? I'm also looking for arcade that house a decent KOF machine.
theoryjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #27

NEX arcade still alive ah? Maybe i go there play SF4. Hehe.
bighead9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Probably arcade scene is dead in general. Japan also.

Having one machine that costs thousands that can only play one game doesn't work with today's society anymore. With more and more games programmed for x86 (or even Windows in some cases), companies should come up with a new licensing system that allows more games to be played on a smaller number of machines.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.