HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #4621
Master Member

The P13 uses the i7-8650U which despite its 1st digit, is actually still part of kaby lake.

The only real 8th Gen (coffee lake stuff) CPUs out now are the desktop CPUs so only aftershock's desktop replacements are on 8th gen stuff at the moment.

Around exactly 1 year ago, the mobile kaby lake came out so maybe the mobile coffee lake will be due soon. Of course the release wont be in sync with the release of new GPUs (if any) which tend to show up around Aug-Sep period these few years.

Coffee lake will be the 1st time laptops go beyond 4 cores on intel camp (AMD already got their debut with that asus Ryzen strix model) so thermals and performance for many manufacturers will have to be a new concern
Great insight and thanks for the explanation.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT
mac_oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:40 AM   #4622
Master Member

So basically no point to buy 8th gen Intel laptop now?

Cause read somewhere if connect to egpu, the 8th gen won't bottle neck the performance
immortal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #4623

So basically no point to buy 8th gen Intel laptop now?

Cause read somewhere if connect to egpu, the 8th gen won't bottle neck the performance
eGPU bottleneck is and always will be thunderbolt's bandwidth. That is a hardware limitation of thunderbolt versus "proper" PCIE and no CPU will be able to make that go away.

By the way the only coffee lake CPUs out now are desktop CPU, not laptop CPU

Those laptop whose CPU model start with '8', they are actually still kaby lake (eg. aftershock P13)

So actually there are no coffee lake gaming laptop CPU. If there were, you will see something like i7-8700HQ but now we are still on i7-7700HQ for all these gaming notebooks. Its not even a matter of no point to buy, rather its not even on market yet.

Last edited by chiaRH; 05-01-2018 at 12:50 AM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #4624
Master Member

But does the newer kaby lake CPU have better power management than the previous thus the better battery life?

mac_oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #4625

But does the newer kaby lake CPU have better power management than the previous thus the better battery life?

how much better can it possibly get if the architecture is still the same

i mean for all we know, it could be less battery life cos these newer 8xxxU cpus got more cores than their predecessors

...also its not as if you can easily find something with earlier CPUs even if you wanted to. When new ones come out, the market updates. Like it or not you're stuck with the latest iteration for better or for worse.

frankly intel's rate of improvement is pretty slow these days so i wouldnt worry about buying an 'inferior' or 'outdated' generation, even 1-2 years older, youre not missing out on much of a benefit, its not like nvidia where we had that massive jump from maxwell to pascal

Last edited by chiaRH; 05-01-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #4626
Master Member

Thanks for the info! In that case maybe I will just get a 2nd hand p13 with 7th gen
immortal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #4627

https://www.mysn.de/detail.asp?beste..._content=54264

anyone ever seen this clevo model before? it feels similar to the P950 (our prime-15) but with a more understated design (which I vastly prefer, looking at the Prime 15's lid)

only critique would be that the underside of that model looks a lot less well ventilated compared to prime-15, but if max-q lives up to what nvidia said, heat is not supposed to be a problem (still the manufacturer is responsible to build a competent cooling design)

edit: nevermind, found it. called the P955, this review vid shows a quadro version of the machine unlike the schenker one. indeed it really does look like a more understated and subtle design compared to Prime-15, while having same internal specs (the body is practically 99% same, can tell by how they share the same IO layout). Once volta rolls around and should aftershock refreshes the prime with a P955 chassis i'm totally up for it

Last edited by chiaRH; 11-01-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 15-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #4628

Why does their support website suck so much?

http://aftershockpcsupport.com/

Still under construction? Drivers for more than half the models don't even exist. Those that do you need to download the ENTIRE package in one big zip file. God forbid you only need one small motherboard driver and your driver disc is missing.

Take a look at Acer, HP and Dell support website to see how they do things ffs.
goldnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #4629
Arch-Supremacy Member

I doubt so. To be honest, Sky Lake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are one and the same design differentiated by minor changes, including a slightly improved 14nm fab. Performance improvement is basically 0 if you are comparing these 3 processors at the same clockspeed. Performance improvement comes in the form of more aggressive clockspeed over the generations. I doubt you will find that the new processors will give you better battery life at load because Intel has been pushing the CPUs harder, thus, nullifying any improvements in thermal and power requirement.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #4630
Arch-Supremacy Member

Still under construction? Drivers for more than half the models don't even exist. Those that do you need to download the ENTIRE package in one big zip file. God forbid you only need one small motherboard driver and your driver disc is missing.

Are you using Windows 10 or older? Nowadays, I don't really need to bother about drivers when using Windows 10. Generally, I only download drivers for GPU and devices with no drivers, which is usually quite little and less crucial. Motherboard drivers should be included with Windows 10.
Old 15-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #4631

Are you using Windows 10 or older? Nowadays, I don't really need to bother about drivers when using Windows 10. Generally, I only download drivers for GPU and devices with no drivers, which is usually quite little and less crucial. Motherboard drivers should be included with Windows 10.
I'm more worried about users of Win 8. And anyway, it looks unprofessional as hell. You click on a link and get taken to a black screen. What if you need a bios update?

edit : Will you look at that. 1 hour after my first post and the drivers for notebook magically came back. Desktop driver page is still blank though.

Last edited by goldnut; 15-01-2018 at 10:14 PM..
goldnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #4632
Supremacy Member

as much as windows is improving their drivers support and universality, many pc/laptop still require their own drivers.
razorlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #4633

imo thats why i dont really get my drivers from aftershock site

dont even need to look at big brands like Acer or HP

any other custom system builder like sager can be referred to

i can find my laptop drivers on sager site they even have a search function where you can type the sager model name, or its clevo SKU name
https://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=649

meanwhile looks like the W-15 got refreshed, going over from the old P750 to N950, think the main sacrifice is MXM GPU, hence being stuck with a 1060 on the new one with no customisation

Last edited by chiaRH; 19-01-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 27-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #4634
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm more worried about users of Win 8. And anyway, it looks unprofessional as hell. You click on a link and get taken to a black screen. What if you need a bios update?

edit : Will you look at that. 1 hour after my first post and the drivers for notebook magically came back. Desktop driver page is still blank though.
I agree. But if you look at other manufacturers, they don't update the drivers after sometime when the newer model arrives.

Not defending them because I was also looking for drivers earlier and did not find any on their site. But when I stop to think about it, I feel it is better to go download your own drivers because outdated drivers can cause more problems with newer version of Windows. Even Win 8 still receives updates that may cause stability issues with older drivers.
Old 27-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #4635
Arch-Supremacy Member

as much as windows is improving their drivers support and universality, many pc/laptop still require their own drivers.
I can confidently say that if you are using Windows 10, you can be sure the critical drivers are already being addressed by the OS. For me, I will only install driver for graphic card if it is a dedicated one from AMD/ Nvidia. There may be some random non-critical devices that still require drivers, but they are not show stoppers for us to use our comp. Only annoying one for me is the pointing device, i.e. the touchpad driver where I cannot use the multi finger gesture without driver.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.